Gearbox Tackles a New IP With the Character-Driven Battleborn

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Gearbox Tackles a New IP With the Character-Driven Battleborn

2K Games and Gearbox Software reveal a new "genre-blending" IP they have termed the hero-shooter. We get an early look at the game to see why they think the game will be special.

Read Full Article

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
This honestly sounds and looks like a mess. The same sort of FPS/RPG hyprid they had with Borderlands, but with MOBA elements and being developed with e-sports in mind. Not only that but it's artstyle reek of LoL. It just seems like a huge mish-mash of current trends in a soulless attempt to cash-in on them while they're still relevant. I can't say I'm interested at all in this.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
ShakerSilver said:
being developed with e-sports in mind.
You should never ever do that... If the game is fun and people start getting really competitive, esports will come to it...

LightningFast

Feb 6, 2013
"... and Marquis, a gentlemanly robot sniper who was a butler in a previous life before a bad software upgrade turned him into an all-too-polite terminator."

Well, I'm sold.

I'm going to remain optimistic for the time-being. It seems like it could be fun.

TheFriskySpatula

Aug 14, 2011
I'm getting a bit of a TF2 man vs. machine vibe from this. That combined with a gorgeous art style and borderlands/MOBA mechanics?
Stop it, my nipples are getting hard.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
I love hearing when Gearbox is in the works.... will it be a Borderlands, or a Colonial Marines?
*grabs some popcorn and begins growing out his Gunzerker Beard*

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I wasn't entirely impressed with what I read about this in Game Informer. It sounded as though the "pull heroes from disparate sci-fi/fantasy genres" was creating some difficulties in balance and tone, even before word of this "some characters will play better on mouse and keyboard, some will play better on a console controller" thing came into focus.

Maybe they'll pull it off; heaven knows, Borderlands was looking like a rather dull generic shooter early in development. Right now, I'm not excessively optimistic.

Novaova

Feb 2, 2010
How long will it take for try-hards to distill the game down to one "best" meta and actively mock and abuse anyone who strays from their formula by choosing a "bad" character or making "sup-optimal" choices on their skill tree?

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Isn't there already a Bethesda MOBA or EA MOBA called Battleborn? It feels like there's about 20 games that all have the same 5 names lately.

Oh that was Battlecry.

Jhonie

Oct 24, 2011
Alright, Gearbox. You've caught my attention. It's much too early to make any judgement, but you've definitely caught my attention. Now, let's see you keep it. It looks good and sounds quite fun, but I'm gonna need more than that. I'll just stay tuned in for the next update and see where this goes.

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
LightningFast said:
"... and Marquis, a gentlemanly robot sniper who was a butler in a previous life before a bad software upgrade turned him into an all-too-polite terminator."

Well, I'm sold.

I'm going to remain optimistic for the time-being. It seems like it could be fun.
This was the character I immediately wanted to play. He has an owl that can act as a sentry (and or explosive mine), and a stopwatch that that manipulate time to a degree based on the perk chosen.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Novaova said:
How long will it take for try-hards to distill the game down to one "best" meta and actively mock and abuse anyone who strays from their formula by choosing a "bad" character or making "sup-optimal" choices on their skill tree?
If Mann Vs Machine is anything to go by, pretty much a short while after Day One. I for one look forward for being kicked because the other guy yelling obscenities at me is distracting me from doing my job on the team.

At least unlike MvM, I can play this single player.

Novaova

Feb 2, 2010
Sir Shockwave said:
If Mann Vs Machine is anything to go by, pretty much a short while after Day One.
Amen to that. I slept in on launch day and missed my opportunity to play MvM in the brief window before it had been ruined by aggressive know-it-alls.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Novaova said:
Sir Shockwave said:
If Mann Vs Machine is anything to go by, pretty much a short while after Day One.
Amen to that. I slept in on launch day and missed my opportunity to play MvM in the brief window before it had been ruined by aggressive know-it-alls.
This is why I get stuck in a loop of eternal agony on my Mann Up Tours X3

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
K, so the whole intro pictures are reminding me of Borderlands, and that shouldn't be happening. However, the art looks great. I'm conflicted on their writing staff, they did a fantastic job on BL2, but I don't much care for them personally. I suppose I should compartmentalize that and go in with the hope they pull off another great story.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Artstyle is very nice but that name? Battleborn couldn't be more generic of a name if it tried. I will get it confused with Bloodborne and Battlefield and sounds like some gritty realistic game.