Gears of War 3 Review

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Huh. Didn't even know this was out.

Played a bit of the multiplayer beta on a friend' 360. It was pretty fun.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
I myself welcome our new benevolent and merciful over-lord Steve Butts.
I could joke about how another Space Marine game was released in the same month, but I'll leave that for someone else, because you have to be pretty misanthropic to say that...

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Gears of War is one of those series that I wish were on the PC as well (the first one is, I know), because some days you just aren't in the mood for the strategies and RPGs and just want to pick up a huge burly testosterone-loaded musclehead and kick some arse. However, this just means I get to give my money to Relic for Space Marine and Epic can go suck it.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
It's out already? Colour me surprised. And I'm even more surprised at the lack of a review for Space Marine.

rohansoldier

Sep 5, 2011
5 more days to go! Can't wait to rejoin delta squad and kick some arse for humanity (or for the locus horde in the awesome sounding beast mode!)!

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Dangit, I want this game real bad now. Have the previous 2, and love both. And the critics have been loving the heck out of this game, which is usually a good sign. 9 from IGN, 9.5 from both GI and Gamespot, 4.5 out of 5 stars from Gamepro, 5 stars from Giantbomb, 4 out of 5 stars from here... Makes me sad that I am but a poor student with 'naught but $13 to my name. :( Looks like it is time to sell organs on the black market again...

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
So, great as expected.

Until now, i had a hard time convincing myself to buy the game, given that it is one game where i know i'll get exactly what i expect, wich is a bit boring now matter if i actually get something good.

But now since it's almost there i'm starting to remember how fun the campaigns were especially in Coop, and, to be honest, i really want to see how it turns out storywise.

Although i'm not saying the story of the GOW Games is especially great, i feel like it's still pretty underrated because "hurr durr dumb homophobe jock musclemonstas" (wich is kinda ironic in itself).
That said, it's sad that the games themselves do thier best to not care about the background story (especially the first one wich felt like it was just missing an establishing prologue).

Still, it's kind of fascinating for me how GOW tells an EXTREMELY bleak and depressing story of how humans constantly fuck up so hard that they pretty much ride towards extinction all by themselves since everything they do just make matters worse...
...from burning down almost thier entire world before the start of the first game to the bomb you blow up at the end of it that in the second game turns out to not having been all that useful and instead just caused a deadly plague among humans. And in the end of the second game, you sink the ONLY AT LEAST SOMEWHAT SAFE PLACE for humans to live
I guess i'm actually pretty curious if the story ends with humanity finishing itself off or actually doing something right for once in three games ^^.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Personally, given that all women in this universe are relegated to "breeder" roles by the lore, I couldn't care any less how the story ends.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Partially unrelated to the review, I find it odd for an American based website to put out a review at what amounts to the middle of the night over here (2am central time). You burnnin' the midnight oil Steve?

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
At least they kept Cole and Dom well characterised, while Marcus' response throughout all the games has been to swear at everything, although I would have liked some emotion from him considering he is ment to find his dead father alive.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Despite the fact that I don't own a 360, I would probably give these games a try if it weren't for the fact that characters and enemies have such horrible designs.

I just can't stand them and the macho, power armour look the characters all have...and this is coming from someone who loves the Warhammer 40K universe.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Apr 11, 2008
Goddamn it Epic, stop making me wait and:

Five days to go. I hope the wait is worth it.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
leviadragon99 said:
Personally, given that all women in this universe are relegated to "breeder" roles by the lore, I couldn't care any less how the story ends.
Wha..?

You do realize that there are at least two new female Gears added to the team, right?

Fat4all

Aug 6, 2011
If you look on MetaCritic, you will see that nearly all the reviews have been posted close to 3 or 4 a.m. EST.

Usually review sites already have played their copies sent to them from the developer, and have their review ready in advance of the game coming out, but are embargoed from releasing that review until a set date agreed upon by general consensus and the productive team.

Sometimes this means we don't see a review until after a game comes out, sometimes it's a week or more before the game comes out.

The embargo for Gears 3 reviews expired about an hour ago, so boom, loads of reviews.

I'm guessing that Epic and Microsoft figured that the press would be quite good for the game, and agreed that the embargo would be days before-hand, getting the press truck rolling for sales day, which is always a smart idea.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
Nice review, and me personally can't wait for Tuesday. A few friends and I are going to the midnight release, fans since the start.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Hey now, I'm not 'passing up' Gears 3 I'm waiting an extra few months for the complete edition to be released like I did with Gears 2. Also, and this is a bit off topic, but why is it Yahtzee is the only one on here that doesn't get bleeped when he swears...? Why not let everyone swear freely when it's obvious what's being said anyway?

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Eh, in my head, it's 3 stars, but to each his own, I guess.
I always thought Gears of War was too boring, both in gameplay, variety, and aesthetics, and if they aren't making any changes, it's not a buy for me.

BreakdownBoy

Jan 21, 2011
Wow, so looking forward to this game...oh wait, it's a 360 exclusive so no PC version. Guess I'll just spend my money on other things like food and my morgage.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Business as usual over at Epic it seems.

As far as i've been able to tell about the GoW series as a whole it's only enjoyable because of excellent gameplay, not at all due to engaging characters or a well-told story.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I don't know... the characters being moody dicks seems totally appropriate to the situation they are in.
Same with the voices. Big, hardened and battle-scarred Marine has a gravely voice? Yup, seems about right.

Those graphics look pretty stunningly detailed and it seems they have tried to break up the grey/brown somewhat more.

I'm actually not much of a Gears fan myself (played the first but lost interest before the end and played a bit of the second), but it seems like a great game for anyone in to that franchise or Third Person Shooters in general.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Haha. You know Gears3 will sell a fuck ton no matter what so why even try? That's both sad and true.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Gears may have done cover-based shooting first (actually, Kill/Switch predates it by a full console generation) but loads of other games have done it better. Pretty much the only game in which the shooting felt less natural to me than in Gears is Alpha Protocol, which is really just an RPG dressed up to look like a spy game.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I can't wait to tell all the Karen Traviss naysayers that a story is good for a change.
Definitely looking forward to this one.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Wow @55 I could easily see the locust blimp shrink, disappear, and be replaced with an explosion :p

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
That's all fine and good, but does it have a certain song somewhere in it? You know the one.

[sub][sub]What's your name son? Private Clay Carmine![/sub][/sub]

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I'm surprised to see so many reviews for Gears of War 3 coming out so early.
It's just making me more excited for the game's release!

NickFury90

May 15, 2011
Gears of War, the game about big space marines with chainsaws on their guns killing aliens, and Escapist is talking about the story like its the main appeal.

Sometimes I wonder if you people actually enjoy video games, and not interactive stories.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
When EPIC decides to NOT be a dick and release Gow 2&3 for PC... call me... other wise, I am going back to Spacemarine/Deus Ex...

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Cole Train? Seriously? It must have been all those giant steps broke his name in two. Him and his buddies Mars Alis and Arms Trong work together to make April in Paris safe for everyone.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks this looks like just more of the same? I dunno...I guess i'm just setting my standards to high for video games.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I've never played a GoW game and this is really the first time I've looked at the gameplay in motion.

Wow... those guys have really big arms. I mean really... c'mon...

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
EiC-ing during the daytime, reviewing at night.

Our new overlord knows no rest.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Mataki's in the game! I've always wanted to know what she looks like. So glad I read Coalition's End because it looks like the game is picking up exactly where the story leaves off. Sweet!

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Silly question, was their a giant sea monster in Gears 2? I dont remember one but one review i read mentions that its back in Gears 3.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I loved the beginning of the video review. I'm glad to hear it's a good game, I've never been into the series but it's a big one and deserves a good finale.

Phlakes

+15 Dagger of Socks
Mar 25, 2010
That was a great motherf**king review, Steve.

Ans I have to say, the most notable change was the addition of green to the color palette. Now can Tuesday come already?

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
I would be interested in playing GOW3 if it were released on PC....but I guess Epic doesn't want our money.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I like how PC elitists get to moan about an Xbox exclusive, but when it comes to PC exclusives, 'NO YOUR NOT TOUCHING IT CONSOLE KIDS!'

I use both as a gaming platform before you come at me with 'PC's are better in every way shape or form'.

ANYWAY... I'm very much looking forward to this game, more excited for this than the previous 2, and that's really something to marvel at.

Also, 4 player co op, HELL YEAH!

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
wait so no 5 stars because some characters felt lacking? well IGN did the same thing

but still, I preordered the game and all and have been waiting 3 years for this game to come out...but funny that I didn't truly start feeling excited (prob distracted by the myriad of cool games coming out this fall) until 4 days before the game is to be released :D can't waiaiiiitt but I'll have to cuz I'll be studying until and right after the game comes out =.=

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
Silly question, was their a giant sea monster in Gears 2? I dont remember one but one review i read mentions that its back in Gears 3.
Yeah, the Leviathan. You fought it when you were underground riding on the raft in the lake. It was the monster that you had to throw grenades down its throat.

JUMBO PALACE

I'd Rather Be Squatting
Legacy
Jun 22, 2020
Country
USA
thehorror2 said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Gears may have done cover-based shooting first (actually, Kill/Switch predates it by a full console generation)
Holy shit someone else played Kill Switch? I loved the shit out of that game. But I disagree on your point about Gears. I find the game really smooth and easy to handle.

Extra-Ordinary

Mar 17, 2010
duchaked said:
wait so no 5 stars because some characters felt lacking? well IGN did the same thing

but still, I preordered the game and all and have been waiting 3 years for this game to come out...but funny that I didn't truly start feeling excited (prob distracted by the myriad of cool games coming out this fall) until 4 days before the game is to be released :D can't waiaiiiitt but I'll have to cuz I'll be studying until and right after the game comes out =.=
I'm with you, man. Well, not on the "studying" part, on the "anticipation" and the "lots of games releases" part. There are SO MANY games coming out this year; Resistance 3, Space Marine, and Dead Island realesed already in just THIS MONTH.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
torno said:
duchaked said:
I'm with you, man. Well, not on the "studying" part, on the "anticipation" and the "lots of games releases" part. There are SO MANY games coming out this year; Resistance 3, Space Marine, and Dead Island realesed already in just THIS MONTH.
yeah seriously! and not just the big franchise titles (like all the ones with "3" lol), but yea even games like Space Marine have surprisingly caught my attention and I'm like...hurr can't keep up o_O might take until this time next year haha...

r_Chance

Dec 13, 2008
MonkeyPunch said:
I don't know... the characters being moody dicks seems totally appropriate to the situation they are in. Same with the voices. Big, hardened and battle-scarred Marine has a gravely voice? Yup, seems about right.
I thought the same thing. I haven't played since the first (PC) and I wasn't surprised by that. What else would you expect? Sensitivity? By all accounts a good game, this being about the worst review I've seen with "only" 4 out of 5. Nice for the console crowd.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
leviadragon99 said:
Where the hell does it say that?

Also Anya disagrees.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Even though I played the first two, I have no intention of buying this installment. The second one bored me to tears so much that I'll probably just watch the ending cinematic on youtube or something, just to finally see marcus and dom walk down the steroid infused isle.

Krunkcity3000

Mar 12, 2008
leviadragon99 said:
Actually, this issue has been addressed in Gears 3. There are female soldiers now, instead of being non-factors. I remember reading about how EPIC would explain the lack of female soldiers. I recall EPIC saying something about the women being breeders but since the events of Gears 2 there are very few soldiers left so the women gotta role up their sleeves.

Krunkcity3000

Mar 12, 2008
Obviously, this guy didnt realize that ICE "MUTHAFUKIN-5-out-of-5" T is in this game. I demand you correct your score.

I also like the clip of Cole-Train "putting the team on his back doe"

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Yeah, the Leviathan. You fought it when you were underground riding on the raft in the lake. It was the monster that you had to throw grenades down its throat.
Now i remember, thanks.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
I had NO intention of getting this but if the story is as interesting as he says then I may pick it up when it drops to bargain basement price. But even watching the review all I could think was *sigh*. The first GoW I sort of enjoyed but the second bored me to tears. The story was interesting towards the end though in a "that seems kind of silly but refreshingly unexpected none the less" sort of way.

It's by no means jumped up to a must-buy but it has jumped up to a maybe at least.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Krunkcity3000 said:
leviadragon99 said:
Actually, this issue has been addressed in Gears 3. There are female soldiers now, instead of being non-factors. I remember reading about how EPIC would explain the lack of female soldiers. I recall EPIC saying something about the women being breeders but since the events of Gears 2 there are very few soldiers left so the women gotta role up their sleeves.
And that isn't a patronising display of tokenism at all...

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
leviadragon99 said:
Krunkcity3000 said:
leviadragon99 said:
Well to be totally honest, if the world was reduced to 5-10% of its population, you don't think we'd do the same?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
JokerboyJordan said:
leviadragon99 said:
Krunkcity3000 said:
leviadragon99 said:
Well to be totally honest, if the world was reduced to 5-10% of its population, you don't think we'd do the same?
So....forcibly subjugating women, requiring all of them to be "breeders", is okay with you just so long as our population count is low?

:|

I'm sorry, but I'm calling BS. Epic Games has always been, and will always be (so long as Cliffy B is there), absolutely horrendous at telling a story. When it comes to crafting a compelling, single-player experience Epic is the very definition of "talentless".

Fun, fast-paced multi-player on the other hand. Now that they do well. Exceptionally well. As such, if this is someone's "thing", then far be for anyone to try to tell you Gears is bad. Buy it and play online to your hearts content. I might even end up playing with or against you at some point. But please people, stop defending this series story. It is not good or even well told.

DTWolfwood said:
It has Color! oh my god! IT HAS [email protected]!

too bad i no longer own an Xbox
You know, it's been hilarious too me that so many people, of whom are excited for this game, keep touting one of it's biggest changes and selling points is that...gasp!...they added another color to the usual brown and gray color palette. What's even more hilarious to me is that most people don't actually appreciate the ludicrous nature of the statement.
(btw, I'm not confronting you wolfwood. your post was just the last one I saw and it reminded me of this)

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Vigormortis said:
DTWolfwood said:

You know, it's been hilarious too me that so many people, of whom are excited for this game, keep touting one of it's biggest changes and selling points is that...gasp!...they added another color to the usual brown and gray color palette. What's even more hilarious to me is that most people don't actually appreciate the ludicrous nature of the statement.
(btw, I'm not confronting you wolfwood. your post was just the last one I saw and it reminded me of this)
Gameplays solid. Just appreciate colors more than most. Cant stand brown shooters any more >.< hence my confusion as to y Rage is getting hype.

more base on the usual Troll Reactions ;)

Sep 14, 2009
ahh man, i really wish i had my xbox still for this game, i'm gonna have to borrow my brothers xbox for a while so i can get my game on with this, i loved the first two and def. wanna finish this up, plus 4 player co op that ACTUALLY does it right? you bet your ass i'm buying this game new to show my support.

Sep 14, 2009
Vigormortis said:
JokerboyJordan said:
leviadragon99 said:
Krunkcity3000 said:
leviadragon99 said:
So....forcibly subjugating women, requiring all of them to be "breeders", is okay with you just so long as our population count is low?

I'm sorry, but I'm calling BS. Epic Games has always been, and will always be (so long as Cliffy B is there), absolutely horrendous at telling a story. When it comes to crafting a compelling, single-player experience Epic is the very definition of "talentless".

Fun, fast-paced multi-player on the other hand. Now that they do well. Exceptionally well. As such, if this is someone's "thing", then far be for anyone to try to tell you Gears is bad. Buy it and play online to your hearts content. I might even end up playing with or against you at some point. But please people, stop defending this series story. It is not good or even well told.
well i for one am getting the game to see how the story wraps up, and after all the people you quoted, and after the review...well it looks like i am in a well voiced opinion on the matter

I love kung pow and troll 2, and i watch them all the time.

does that make their stories good or well told? hell no, that doesn't deter me from wanting to finish it every time the movies pop into my head.

i actually don't play the multiplayer aspect of it at all (i don't consider co op multiplayer fyi), the last time i touched it was gears 1 actually, i play it for it's single player/co op amazingness, and the occasional horde mode with friends over.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
I can't wait to tell all the Karen Traviss naysayers that a story is good for a change.
Definitely looking forward to this one.
I don't have a problem with her, but pointing to this as something that's going to a change anyone's opinion of her for the better is a bit of a laugh.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
Vigormortis said:
JokerboyJordan said:
leviadragon99 said:
Krunkcity3000 said:
leviadragon99 said:

DTWolfwood said:

So you'd be fine with Humanity going extinct, because having women be used as breeders to keep your spiraling population from going down so fast?

60% of all of humanity died on emergence day, and over 50,000 gears have died, and billions of citizens had died from the hammer strikes.

I think that justifies saving the species.

It's also a heavily war-torn world, and you're expecting lavish jungles and pure blue rivers? War isn't pretty.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Titan Buttons said:
At least they kept Cole and Dom well characterised, while Marcus' response throughout all the games has been to swear at everything, although I would have liked some emotion from him considering he is ment to find his dead father alive.
Play his quotes on a soundboard without the background noise, and it's fucking hilarious! You will love Marcus afterward.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
w9496 said:
So you'd be fine with Humanity going extinct, because having women be used as breeders to keep your spiraling population from going down so fast?

60% of all of humanity died on emergence day, and over 50,000 gears have died, and billions of citizens had died from the hammer strikes.

It's also a heavily war-torn world, and you're expecting lavish jungles and pure blue rivers? War isn't pretty.
Not at all. I wouldn't want humanity to go extinct. But at the same time I don't think it's good for the species, even in the face of survival, to place sole responsibility for our survival on the shoulders of the finer sex. It's unfair and almost as evil as those who are seeking to destroy us (locust). If we're willing to be so cruel then maybe we shouldn't survive in that situation.

But I digress. This discussion is better suited in another thread.

Oh, and the color thing was a bit of hyperbole. Though, the color palette of Gears is both a poor design choice as well as a side-effect of the Unreal Engine 3. (it's not a good engine) Just because a setting is "war-torn" does not mean it needs to be completely drab and bland. War isn't just a world of gray. There are stark contrasts in play when conflicts take place. Sometimes a splash of color in a world of grey can be far more unsettling then one that's just a wash of brown.

gmaverick019 said:
well i for one am getting the game to see how the story wraps up, and after all the people you quoted, and after the review...well it looks like i am in a well voiced opinion on the matter

does that make their stories good or well told? hell no, that doesn't deter me from wanting to finish it every time the movies pop into my head.

i actually don't play the multiplayer aspect of it at all (i don't consider co op multiplayer fyi), the last time i touched it was gears 1 actually, i play it for it's single player/co op amazingness, and the occasional horde mode with friends over.
I never said one can't find enjoyment in it. God knows there are plenty of terrible stories (films, TV shows, books, etc) that I enjoy. Just as there are plenty of good stories I don't like. However, just because I enjoy something, something that's bad, doesn't mean I'll sit here and defend it's quality and try to convince you it's good. On the contrary, I'll be the first to tell you how bad it is. The same goes with Gears. While I might find some enjoyment out of the experience, I'll never sit here and say it's good. It's anything but. It's terrible. But just because something is terrible doesn't mean you can't like it.

It's the difference of an objective and a subjective opinion. This is what I was referencing. That's why I'll never chastise someone for liking it, but I will confront someone who insists it's well-written or well-crafted.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
DTWolfwood said:
Vigormortis said:
DTWolfwood said:

Gameplays solid. Just appreciate colors more than most. Cant stand brown shooters any more >.< hence my confusion as to y Rage is getting hype.

I think Rage is getting the hype for 3 reasons.

1: The new id Tech 5 engine looks amazing.

2: Rage seems as though it's shaping up to be quite an immersive experience in the almost over-abundant "post-apocalyptic" genre.

3: It's looks to be a true return to form for id. They've been absent for quite a while and this is their big return.

Sep 14, 2009
Vigormortis said:
w9496 said:

Not at all. I wouldn't want humanity to go extinct. But at the same time I don't think it's good for the species, even in the face of survival, to place sole responsibility for our survival on the shoulders of finer sex. It's unfair and almost as evil as those who are seeking to destroy us (locust). If we're willing to be so cruel then maybe we shouldn't survive in that situation.

But I digress. This discussion is better suited in another thread.

Oh, and the color thing was a bit of hyperbole. Though, the color palette of Gears is both a poor design choice as well as a side-effect of the Unreal Engine 3. (it's not a good engine) Just because a setting is "war-torn" does not mean it needs to be completely drab and bland. War isn't just a world of gray. There are stark contrasts in play when conflicts take place. Sometimes a splash of color in a world of grey can be far more unsettling then one that's just a wash of brown.

gmaverick019 said:

I never said one can't find enjoyment in it. God knows there are plenty of terrible stories (films, TV shows, books, etc) that I enjoy. Just as there are plenty of good stories I don't like. However, just because I enjoy something, something that's bad, doesn't mean I'll sit here and defend it's quality and try to convince you it's good. On the contrary, I'll be the first to tell you how bad it is. The same goes with Gears. While I might find some enjoyment out of the experience, I'll never sit here and say it's good. It's anything but. It's terrible. But just because something is terrible doesn't mean you can't like it.

It's the difference of an objective and a subjective opinion. This is what I was referencing. That's why I'll never chastise someone for liking it, but I will confront someone who insists it's well-written or well-crafted.
ha alright, fair enough, weare on the same page then.

and while i'm feeling chatty at the moment, what are some things you enjoy that aren't considered "good"?

just curious to see if any ouf our tastes match up at alt?

and i don't disagree with you on confronting soiemone who will rave at how amazing sometosing is even though it obviously has the msot horrendous points and writing structure in the world.

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
Psychotic-ishSOB said:
Titan Buttons said:
Play his quotes on a soundboard without the background noise, and it's fucking hilarious! You will love Marcus afterward.
I will have to try that it sounds funny, I did it for the L4D cast lol'd so much

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
gmaverick019 said:
ha alright, fair enough, weare on the same page then.

and while i'm feeling chatty at the moment, what are some things you enjoy that aren't considered "good"?

just curious to see if any ouf our tastes match up at alt?

and i don't disagree with you on confronting soiemone who will rave at how amazing sometosing is even though it obviously has the msot horrendous points and writing structure in the world.
Well, let's see. For a recent example I could go to Tron: Legacy. I loved the hell out of that film but it was far from a good film. There's also my undying love for MechAssault 1 and 2, both of which are often maligned by the group of so-called "true" fans of the BattleTech universe. (the group of which I am definitely a card-carrying member)

There's also the Evil Dead films. I've watched them quite a few times, loved just about every second of 'em, but they're still really bad. I've even thoroughly enjoyed a few "SyFy original" films. Most notably, Sharktopus. (which was hilariously and deliciously bad)

In contrast to that, for example, I'm not that fond of The Godfather, Bioshock, or most of the works of Stephen King. Yet, I recognize the quality of craftsmanship in them.

It's all about taste. And for me, I try to maintain both an objective and a subjective point of view all while not letting either cloud the other. Not always successful, but I am "in the black".

Also, who the hell is this John Damingsa, captcha? And why are you making me type his name?

Krunkcity3000

Mar 12, 2008
leviadragon99 said:
Krunkcity3000 said:
leviadragon99 said:
Outside of white males in videogames, what isn't a display of tokenism?

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
So... exactly what I expected. Cool.

The thing about huge, triple-A sequels like this one is that there's really no point in doing a review. Gears of War is fun. It's an awesome action movie in video game form: heavy on the murder, explosions, and cheesy-yet-entertaining dialogue, and light on plot. We already know exactly what to expect, and a whole lot of people (myself included) will be buying it.

An actual review just seems like filler.

Not that it really matters what reviews are on this site; it's not like I'm paying for anything. I just thought it worth mentioning.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Vigormortis said:
JokerboyJordan said:
leviadragon99 said:
Krunkcity3000 said:
leviadragon99 said:
The thing is, even though the thought of it is horrifying, I don't actually see it as a never happening scenario. I mean hell, if china can stop people from having more than one kid because of a high population, whats to say they would never make people have kids?

It's not ideal, but it doesn't mean it's not possible.

OT: I'm actually looking forward to this. One of the few solid splitscreen co-op games left. It's been a long time.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
I don't like coming off as a chauvinistic dick but...

There's fucking girls in ma gears game!
Why?
Because they're "token" females. Too many people (READ: Not really that many)bitched about how there wasn't enough "diversity" and shit. They already had a token black guy, now they need a chick. What's next? A fucking twelve-year old? After all, that is a misrepresented minority. And maybe they should throw in a few Indians. No, not native americans, Indians from india. You only see them as 7/11 workers anyways. They deserve an equal chance. Or maybe they should chuck in some gays. Oh and a french waiter too. Also some goddamn cubans. and And while we're at it, they could add a couple of fucking hippies! With chainsaws! Hell, that sounds like amazing shit right there!

Like I said, I don't wanna come off sounding "ignorant" (which is a shitty insult anyways) but I feel that this attitude people now have about media and the like is fucking ridiculous. You shouldn't add content just to appease the politically correct (more like challenged). You should add something (like a character) when the game will wind up better because of it. Gears is worse now that they have added some of the gentler sex.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Is it just me or are these guys so beefy that they actually look somewhat featureless - almost inflatable?

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Oh wow, it's out? Anyone playing it yet? Are there enough chest high walls? Oh I hope so, Gears needs more chest high walls.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Vigormortis said:
DTWolfwood said:
Vigormortis said:
DTWolfwood said:

2: Rage seems as though it's shaping up to be quite an immersive experience in the almost over-abundant "post-apocalyptic" genre.

3: It's looks to be a true return to form for id. They've been absent for quite a while and this is their big return.
1. ok fair enough about the new engine. We do need more of those in the market for devs to play with.

2. Rage looks too generic to me to warrant the thought that it will have a good plot of any sort. Its the "Cowboy without a Name" plot, stranger comes to fucked up land in search of something. that something is usually inconsequential to the world. If Rage so happens to come up with an unique plot/story, i'll take it all back.

3. Best of luck to them, just not sure making an apocalypse shooter was a good choice not as if the market isn't full of them, would have probably been more excited about a new Wolfenstein tbh. But they do need new franchises.

OT: Glad to see a franchise actually END for a change.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
DTWolfwood said:
Vigormortis said:
DTWolfwood said:
Vigormortis said:
DTWolfwood said:

1. ok fair enough about the new engine. We do need more of those in the market for devs to play with.

2. Rage looks too generic to me to warrant the thought that it will have a good plot of any sort. Its the "Cowboy without a Name" plot, stranger comes to fucked up land in search of something. that something is usually inconsequential to the world. If Rage so happens to come up with an unique plot/story, i'll take it all back.

3. Best of luck to them, just not sure making an apocalypse shooter was a good choice not as if the market isn't full of them, would have probably been more excited about a new Wolfenstein tbh. But they do need new franchises.

OT: Glad to see a franchise actually END for a change.
Well, when I mentioned immersion, I wasn't actually referencing the general plot for the game. The primary story line doesn't sound that compelling. However, by all accounts from those that have tried the early builds the level of interaction the player has with the environment and NPCs, as well as what is being touted as one of the most impressive and adaptive AI engines to date, look to add up to quite an immersive experience.

Now, I've been taking all this news with a grain of salt, but when it comes to crafting technically advanced engines, id is one of the best. (even if they aren't particularly amazing at telling a compelling story) So I'm inclined to, at least partially, believe the hype.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Nice graphics and solid gameplay but I was disappointed by the ending.

In general I don't feel like cheering for people committing genocide.
So in the end the Gears will share the same fate as the morons of the ISA from Killzone: Being remembered by me as assholes.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
jawakiller said:
I don't like coming off as a chauvinistic dick but...

There's fucking girls in ma gears game!
Why?
Because they're "token" females. Too many people (READ: Not really that many)bitched about how there wasn't enough "diversity" and shit. They already had a token black guy, now they need a chick. What's next? A fucking twelve-year old? After all, that is a misrepresented minority. And maybe they should throw in a few Indians. No, not native americans, Indians from india. You only see them as 7/11 workers anyways. They deserve an equal chance. Or maybe they should chuck in some gays. Oh and a french waiter too. Also some goddamn cubans. and And while we're at it, they could add a couple of fucking hippies! With chainsaws! Hell, that sounds like amazing shit right there!

Like I said, I don't wanna come off sounding "ignorant" (which is a shitty insult anyways) but I feel that this attitude people now have about media and the like is fucking ridiculous. You shouldn't add content just to appease the politically correct (more like challenged). You should add something (like a character) when the game will wind up better because of it. Gears is worse now that they have added some of the gentler sex.
I don't really think girls were added JUST to appease the complaining masses. I think the point of it was to show how much the COG had fallen appart. Prescott just upped and left everyone in the lurch and the whole human civilisation on Sera just fell appart. People like Anya, who was previously Delta Squad's controller, simply had no place any more. Humanity basically dug in and did their best to survive, which would mean everyone, including the women, had to do their part. That's how I see it anyway.

But I do agree with what you're saying to an extent, it really does feel like the new characters have been shoe horned into the game. Sam, Jace and to a lesser extent, Anya, have all been dropped in while everyone acts like we should know and love them as if we've all known each other for years. It does feel a little ham-handed.

OT: I have disagree with Steve Butts on one thing. Marcus Fenix's emotional state wasn't quite as dire as he seems to make out. Yeah so he scowls and curses at everything, maybe that's just the sort of guy he is. We already had Dom moping about in the last game, do we expect Fenix to suddenly burst into tears? Perhaps he's just the sort of guy who deals with his problems by scowling and cursing, he is a team leader in the middle of a hopeless war after all. Besides, there were several moments in the game where Marcus actually seemed to care and he was genuinely affected by what happened; I could see it. Anything more and I expect it would all come off as being overwrought.

What didn't work was Anya Stroud. She was slipped into the game as a main character after having only a supporting role in the first two games. We just had to accept that she is supossed to be some kind of love interest for Fenix although there is ZERO in the way of romance between them. He showed a glimmer of concern for her in GOW2 and aside from a scene at the very END of GOW3, there's no indication that anything is going on between them.

Seriously, there's more chemistry between Baird and Sam and I don't think there's even supossed to be! Don't know if that's really a spoiler or not...

All in all, I get the feeling that GOW suffered from the same fate Halo did; too much dependance on external media to carry certain plot elements. Maybe if I had read the various GOW books, this whole thing might make more sense. Or maybe not.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
GRAAAAAAAAAAAAA.
Another stupid stupid game where they can't help but tell you what to do in the middle of a boss fight. Not only that, but they pop up a big window all over the screen for 10 seconds that blocks what I'm trying to do.

QUIT FRIGGIN DOING THIS you stupid developers.

Or at the very least give me the option to turn it off.

F**K I hate this hand holding shit. And I'm playing on fricken HARDCORE! Hardcore f**king babysitting is what it is.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
For me, I think this game would hands down be the game of the year, yes even over Deus Ex... if it wasnt for Skyrim coming out. Either way, they outdid themselves with this game.

Kudos, Epic! (Although you did REALLY upset me with.... well... you know.)

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Oh one more thing.

Man Anya's hair looked fake. I mean, seriously it's distracting. I don't know why they got it looking weird ass. Looks like doll hair. Even sam's is a bit odd.