Geek Remix: Fallout Creatures Explained

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
Great to see you guys here. Wonder if the video's opening will vary when the video features just Mari or when both of you are there.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
New content eh? Cool, hopefully it works out. I love me some kinda-pointless theorycrafting behind what I see in videogames, so I'll keep an eye on this one.

As for a little constructive criticism; the delivery could perhaps use a little bit more dynamism, a bit more enthusiasm. And I'd love to see, if there's time (because lord knows animation and drawing takes a crapton of time), some more of that lovely art style I saw in the intro. Gave me a bit of a Stephen Universe/Gravity Falls vibe. I really like it and I'd love to see more of it in your videos.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Not bad but perhaps a little too much overthought. It's not likely the oxygen concentration has increased, because not surprisingly, the effect on non insects would in some cases mirror and in other cases be detrimental. We for example do not do very well in high oxygen since it is linked to increased wear and tear on cells. The point you make is simply the catch22... what the heck are all those insects eating to get that super big?

More likely scenario, lungs. Don't look at me that way, strictly speaking the development of lungs from invertabrates has already happened hence why we exist.Another just as likely scenario is that the insects utilize more anaerobic respiration (ie respiration that does not use oxygen.). If the insects had mutated and evolved to make use of less oxygen through anerobic respiration, well they'd not be subject to the limitations of gaseous exchange. All animals have limited capacity for it, some species of worms, and mircoorganisms use it exclusively.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Bloatflies are called bloatflies because they have a gas-filled bladder that takes up most of the space in their abdomen, which is what allows them to fly despite having tiny wings. They're practically buoyant in the atmosphere. It's also why they tend to explode when killed.

geekremix_Mari

Nov 25, 2015
Ruisu said:
Great to see you guys here. Wonder if the video's opening will vary when the video features just Mari or when both of you are there.
Yes I paid Tess Young (our animator) to make Stacy an intro as well. I know people get confused about these things, but any video featuring only me is written and edited by me. And any video featuring Stacy is written by Stacy, and edited by me.

Stacy is currently working on some Tomb Raider theories and you should see them soon. I hope you enjoy them as she is working very hard on them.

Cowabungaa said:
As for a little constructive criticism; the delivery could perhaps use a little bit more dynamism, a bit more enthusiasm. And I'd love to see, if there's time (because lord knows animation and drawing takes a crapton of time), some more of that lovely art style I saw in the intro. Gave me a bit of a Stephen Universe/Gravity Falls vibe. I really like it and I'd love to see more of it in your videos.
Thank you for the feedback. What kind of energy do you think is better? I try to make the video feel like I'm telling a secret. But if it seems like that will bring the video some more mental engagement, I can do that. I often worry that I am being too much like a lecture. `

As for animations, Tess Young does all our cartoons. (@TheChicMonster)

Lesbian Conspiracy: https://youtu.be/mYqV6fhokpI

Barbie's Girlfriend: https://youtu.be/uXbONVWTdSQ

Cullen's Crazy Girlfriend: https://youtu.be/RXRVNRclovE

Kinky Solas: https://youtu.be/6-idPns5g1o

Tess will be doing one animation a week in January. So I hope people enjoy her work.

MonsterCrit said:
Not bad but perhaps a little too much overthought. It's not likely the oxygen concentration has increased, because not surprisingly, the effect on non insects would in some cases mirror and in other cases be detrimental. We for example do not do very well in high oxygen since it is linked to increased wear and tear on cells. The point you make is simply the catch22... what the heck are all those insects eating to get that super big?

More likely scenario, lungs. Don't look at me that way, strictly speaking the development of lungs from invertabrates has already happened hence why we exist.Another just as likely scenario is that the insects utilize more anaerobic respiration (ie respiration that does not use oxygen.). If the insects had mutated and evolved to make use of less oxygen through anerobic respiration, well they'd not be subject to the limitations of gaseous exchange. All animals have limited capacity for it, some species of worms, and mircoorganisms use it exclusively.
Overthinking is the road we all must go down in order to make weird theories. :p There were a lot of things I cut from the script to keep it simple. I was really worried that the explanation of proteins would be hard to explain. Not because it's too complicated, but I worry that my explanations won't be good enough.

Please everyone let me know which parts of the video didn't seem well explained, or were convoluted. I really worry about not being a good "teacher". Any parts that needed more visual changes so as to not lose attention, ext. Eventually I want to hire my friend who does the DYKG editing. He is much better at visual concepts than me in terms of editing.

Thanks for to everyone for the feedback and watching the video. :)

geekremix_Mari

Nov 25, 2015
Denamic said:
Bloatflies are called bloatflies because they have a gas-filled bladder that takes up most of the space in their abdomen, which is what allows them to fly despite having tiny wings. They're practically buoyant in the atmosphere. It's also why they tend to explode when killed.
Very cool. I never even thought about that. :)

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Very cool vid, love the art used during the opening.

The stuff you talked about was very interesting, the arthropod stuff wasn't actually that far-fetched and evolution can actually happen over a very short space of time:

http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fevo.2015.00047/full

The Polycephaly thing is a bit of a stretch though, although the likelihood of twins is down to genetics I'm not sure about conjoining.

geekremix_Mari

Nov 25, 2015
PunkRex said:

The stuff you talked about was very interesting, the arthropod stuff wasn't actually that far-fetched and evolution can actually happen over a very short space of time:

The Polycephaly thing is a bit of a stretch though, although the likelihood of twins is down to genetics I'm not sure about conjoining.
From my research in two headedness in cattle, it seems to be an issue that comes from inbreeding the cows. So I would think it is genetic.

Gaboris

Dec 22, 2011
Oh, new stuff? Cool. :D
Nice vid. I hope you guys stick around so keep up the good work!

BTW am I the only one who noticed that the BULL on the pic had its "pen loaded"? :p

Vladimir Eremeyev

Sep 23, 2012
Interesting video I guess. For those who started playing Fallout from third one I mean. All the info in the video could be found in F1-2 and related wiki years ago.

geekremix_Mari

Nov 25, 2015
Vladimir Eremeyev said:
Interesting video I guess. For those who started playing Fallout from third one I mean. All the info in the video could be found in F1-2 and related wiki years ago.
I checked the falllout bibles and most of this was actually *not* covered. And i specifically source several events in the f1-2 games in this video. Some of the info is from the fallout bibles and stuff, and then I elaborate on that info with real world info. The creators themselves don't have much of a direction for their lore. And some creators contradict the others in terms of how things came to be.

Which is why I avoided the Ghouls. Because I didn't want to deal with one person citing one developer, and another citing a different developer about the origin of ghouls. As the FEV is said to be related to the creation of ghouls sometimes, but other times it is not.

Gaboris said:
Oh, new stuff? Cool. :D
Nice vid. I hope you guys stick around so keep up the good work!

BTW am I the only one who noticed that the BULL on the pic had its "pen loaded"? :p
I put the bull peep in because I thought it was funny.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Is this a new series? I like it, though you need to work on your enunciation a bit.

While I doubt anyone would want to nuke the Amazon rainforest, I imagine the sheer number of nuclear warheads detonated in the Great War would create enough radioactive fallout to be blown over whole continents and carried through rivers, contaminating the majority of the world's water supply for at least several centuries after the initial blasts.

Unless it was sealed underground in a vault or some haven like the Institute, it's probably irreparably borked for lack of a better term.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
geekremix_Mari said:
Thank you for the feedback. What kind of energy do you think is better? I try to make the video feel like I'm telling a secret. But if it seems like that will bring the video some more mental engagement, I can do that. I often worry that I am being too much like a lecture.
I have to admit, it did sound a little like a lecture. Or rather, like you're reading it up (like some of my professors like to do). I can see what you tried to do, but perhaps you didn't commit to the "like a secret" thing enough, maybe. What might come across better is embracing the silliness of it all, make it feel a bit more loose, a bit more off-the-cuff. They're pretty silly thought-it-through-too-far things, after all. But maybe the like-a-secret thing can work too if you somehow loosen it up a bit, like a "Did you know?" thing?

Then again, you don't want to get too chipper about things. I remember when Roosterteeth started a new only-semi-serious news show and their delivery was way too overblown in its cheerfulness. Makes it feel very forced. I get it though, delivery and enunciation are a pain to get right.

So in short, some (careful?) experimentation might be in order. And that's cool. The vid did make me think "Gee I wonder what happened to the Amazon... Oh God mutated capibaras and piranhas hell yeah." Also, glad to hear that we'll see a bit more of those animations in January.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
geekremix_Mari said:
PunkRex said:

From my research in two headedness in cattle, it seems to be an issue that comes from inbreeding the cows. So I would think it is genetic.
The only problem is that that can lead to infertile offspring... I think... it's been a while, either way, great vid.

geekremix_Mari

Nov 25, 2015
Barbas said:
Is this a new series? I like it, though you need to work on your enunciation a bit.

It's a new series for the escapist, just signed the contract to work with them. I've been doing this for a while on my channel with other games. I will work on my enunciation. I have a hard time with words.

Cowabungaa said:
So in short, some (careful?) experimentation might be in order. And that's cool. The vid did make me think "Gee I wonder what happened to the Amazon... Oh God mutated capibaras and piranhas hell yeah." Also, glad to hear that we'll see a bit more of those animations in January.
I'll consider going to a speech coach. I know it's a shortcoming that I need to work on.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
geekremix_Mari said:
I'll have to check it out, then! Welcome, glad to have you here. Practice makes perfect; the enunciation'll get better as the series goes on. I'm interested to see where this series goes; I enjoy these sorts of videos.

geekremix_Mari

Nov 25, 2015
ravenshrike said:
So, how do you explain that Mole Rats went from cow sized Mole/Rat cross abominations to wiener dog sized Naked Mole Rat pack assholes in the space of 10 years?
There are two different mole rat species in fallout. One based off regular moles. The other based off naked mole rats. So the ones that were super huge with fur are a different species and are in california. The ones you see in Fallout 4 are based off naked mole rats and are on the other coast of the U.S.

It's sort of like how a species can look one way in a certain area, but look completely different in another area.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Before finding out about the origins of the Deathclaws, I always figured they descended from radiation affected house cats. Think about it, both species do share a lot of common traits.