Geekend Update: Reuseable Rockets, 3D Printed Implants, and Life on Mars

Anakinnnn

Mar 5, 2010
LordFish said:
I know that may be a little hard to interpret but the rest of your videos set such a high standard. I'd say Reel Physics has a lot of delicious Escapistiness, I get the feeling they are having a good time filming it, same can be said for Greg doing Escapist News Wrap. In both these cases I feel like I am being talked to, not being talked at.

Wait, did I hear someone say Reel Physics?

Thanks for the kind words LordFish! I really appreciate it. We hope we embody all that is Escapisty!

Ashley Esqueda said:
Just like any host you've probably seen on TV, it takes a few episodes for them to sort of "settle in" to their show, and I'm definitely the same way! My very first show for Mobile Nations was horrible!

I can promise that over time, I shall be more comfortable in my new Escapist homes, and hopefully loosen up a bit in terms of presentation.

HOWEVER (and this is very important!):

I am admittedly a huge ham and cheese sandwich. Extra ham, extra cheese. And that, my friends, will never go away.
As for Ashley, let her get settled in. The show is a tough one to do because you have to research the information, pick the stuff people want to see and hear about, write the script, deliver the on-air work, and then get all of the video/images to go along with the voiceover. I pitched a show pilot similar to this and it was hard to nail down without the show format being stale. It's hard dammit! As for Reel Physics, it definitely took us a while to get in the groove... if we can even claim to be there now. And we still deliver more ham and cheese than the law legally allows.

Good luck Ashley!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Ashley Esqueda said:
I auditioned for the part of Dejah Thoris.
The first words that came to mind with this episode were: "This is smart."

You didn't try to dumb it down too much. That's a nice change of pace from the large majority of science and technical news casters who don't want to alienate or confuse folks with excessive technical jargon. It can be a real balancing act, I know, but your approach is fitting for the Escapist with its "Geek" community.

I grok your need to settle into the show and I'm glad you addressed it because...

...I didn't want to go there. :D

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Very informative; I hadn't heard about any of these stories. I'm enjoying the show so far, and hope to see more!

Ashley Esqueda

Jan 15, 2013
AngelSword said:
Not bad info. But I don't understand the point of the weird recap montage after a segment. >_>
Cuts between stories. Otherwise, we'd just have an ugly jump cut there, and I find jump cuts too unpolished for a show like this~

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Ashley Esqueda said:
AngelSword said:
Not bad info. But I don't understand the point of the weird recap montage after a segment. >_>
Cuts between stories. Otherwise, we'd just have an ugly jump cut there, and I find jump cuts too unpolished for a show like this~
My suggestion is to cut between stories like LRR did back in eNN. For example look at this episode http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-news-network/2440-Rejeweled

Now you may feel like segments need book ending to differentiate them but I think this is not the case.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Another good show, not quite as polished as the first in the writing department. But overall good to go! Besides if you'd hit two right out of the ball park on the first go. There would have to be some conspiracy theories to explain it all.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Ok, this is miles better than the infomercials you done in the other show.
However the recap cuts are to be done away with, it is nothing but annoying and to somone who actually watches the video it feels like you think our attention span is that low.
Also it feels like you lack passion to present it. I guess it works for news, kinda, but the jokes just do not feel genuine. Reel Physics have done presenting better in my opinion. However the content is interesting and this show i will keep watching.