Genddy Tartakosvky's new cartoon show Primal premieres tonight at midnight on Adult Swim

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gordon_4 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Gordon_4 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
In case you need a reminder of what Primal is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KFyVu514DY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnysiFkFloE

I am excited, and its a good thing I have Dish Network DVR to record these episodes because I don't think I can stay up to midnight and sleep at 12:30 every day.

Hopefully this show is will be the apology to the disappointment that was Samurai Jack Season 5.
I honestly never got the appeal of of this guy's work. Like Samurai Jack was neat to watch but charismatic the man was not, all the charisma in that show was reserved for Aku.

I mean I hope he finds success, but I don't get the hype.
Did you watch Dexter's Laboratory?

I did. I don't care for it.
Dexter's Lab is one of the shows that ages not to well or becomes a chore to watch. Always hated Dee Dee and rarely found her funny.

Dansen said:
Saelune said:
No dialogue, no thanks. I liked Samurai Jack, but I wasnt blowing my load over the fights the way everyone else apparently was. I need context for me to enjoy fight scenes, and that usually requires people talking.
What's not to get? The hunt clip gives a very clear story. The caveman is trying to survive and manages to take down his prey using his wits but loses his quarry to the t-rex because it is bigger causing him to yell in frustration.

I dunno, I like the guys work. Samurai season 5 is better than it has any right to be considering how long it was since season 4 and the fact it likely had a small budget. At least he does something different.
This. The man is an expert craft non-verbal/non-dialogue in storytelling. It proves you can get a lot right with non-dialogue with story, atmosphere, character development, and learning a characters quirk(s). Genddy and his team nailed this to a tee in Samurai Jack, and acceled even further in Primal. Anyone that says otherwise does not pay attention, does not get the appeal (how in most cases is beyond me, but that's life), or either contrarian for the sake of it.

There is a box set of this show with my name on it.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
CoCage said:
Gordon_4 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Gordon_4 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
In case you need a reminder of what Primal is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KFyVu514DY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnysiFkFloE

I am excited, and its a good thing I have Dish Network DVR to record these episodes because I don't think I can stay up to midnight and sleep at 12:30 every day.

Hopefully this show is will be the apology to the disappointment that was Samurai Jack Season 5.
I honestly never got the appeal of of this guy's work. Like Samurai Jack was neat to watch but charismatic the man was not, all the charisma in that show was reserved for Aku.

I mean I hope he finds success, but I don't get the hype.
Did you watch Dexter's Laboratory?

I did. I don't care for it.
Dexter's Lab is one of the shows that ages not to well or becomes a chore to watch. Always hated Dee Dee and rarely found her funny.

Dansen said:
Saelune said:
No dialogue, no thanks. I liked Samurai Jack, but I wasnt blowing my load over the fights the way everyone else apparently was. I need context for me to enjoy fight scenes, and that usually requires people talking.
What's not to get? The hunt clip gives a very clear story. The caveman is trying to survive and manages to take down his prey using his wits but loses his quarry to the t-rex because it is bigger causing him to yell in frustration.

I dunno, I like the guys work. Samurai season 5 is better than it has any right to be considering how long it was since season 4 and the fact it likely had a small budget. At least he does something different.
This. The man is an expert craft non-verbal/non-dialogue in storytelling. It proves you can get a lot right with non-dialogue with story, atmosphere, character development, and learning a characters quirk(s). Genddy and his team nailed this to a tee in Samurai Jack, and acceled even further in Primal. Anyone that says otherwise does not pay attention, does not get the appeal (how in most cases is beyond me, but that's life), or either contrarian for the sake of it.

There is a box set of this show with my name on it.
So far I think the 3rd episode of this Primal Series is the best one yet.

Anything to do with Mammoths is bound to be awesome for me.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Dansen said:
Saelune said:

Its boring. B O R I N G.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
CoCage said:
Anyone that says otherwise does not pay attention, does not get the appeal (how in most cases is beyond me, but that's life), or either contrarian for the sake of it.
A very reasonable argument and totally not something fanboys always say at all...

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Why didn't the dinosaur hunt the caveman instead? Do cavemen taste that awful? Or it was a clever scheme to pursuit the boar without actually attacking it, knowing that the caveman would bring it down from afar and it would be easy to steal?

Silent Protagonist

Aug 29, 2012
CaitSeith said:
Why didn't the dinosaur hunt the caveman instead? Do cavemen taste that awful? Or it was a clever scheme to pursuit the boar without actually attacking it, knowing that the caveman would bring it down from afar and it would be easy to steal?
I may be confusing it with another dinosaur but I think the current theory among paleontologists is that despite their fearsome appearance, they were more scavenger than Hunter, prefering to scare or fight away other predators from whatever they had killed in order to take it for themselves rather than bringing down prey on their own. So the latter I guess?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Silent Protagonist said:
CaitSeith said:
I may be confusing it with another dinosaur but I think the current theory among paleontologists is that despite their fearsome appearance, they were more scavenger than Hunter, prefering to scare or fight away other predators from whatever they had killed in order to take it for themselves rather than bringing down prey on their own. So the latter I guess?
Kudos if they go for that. Either way, don't you love Fridge Logic?

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Seen the first two so far, Caveman Jack is all style and shallow substance.

It's pretty, but it's slow. Man yells at dinosaur.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
CaitSeith said:
CoCage said:
Anyone that says otherwise does not pay attention, does not get the appeal (how in most cases is beyond me, but that's life), or either contrarian for the sake of it.
A very reasonable argument and totally not something fanboys always say at all...
Cait, I like you, but I am in too good a mood with the biggest shit eating grin right now to not give a shit. If anyone else does not like the show, more power to them. Me, loving it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
So. Giant blood red bats are all kinds of ?fuck that? in my book. Seriously. Those things would be right at home in goddamn Doom.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
erttheking said:
So. Giant blood red bats are all kinds of ?fuck that? in my book. Seriously. Those things would be right at home in goddamn Doom.
They are also in the service of a giant fucking spider that looks all gnarly.

Its straight up Shelob.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Abomination said:
Seen the first two so far, Caveman Jack is all style and shallow substance.

It's pretty, but it's slow. Man yells at dinosaur.
Why can't shows work with style alone?

Having a style is good, but there's gotta be something to help contextualize the style.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Well I guess the show is over with only 5 episodes.

As far as we know, RIP T-Rex who I just found out her name is Fang

Best episode was the Mammoth one.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I really love the animation and art style, personally. The lack of talking being a turn-off is understandable, but I don't mind too much. Tartavovsky was always very good at telling stories without words...

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
CrazyGirl17 said:
I really love the animation and art style, personally. The lack of talking being a turn-off is understandable, but I don't mind too much. Tartavovsky was always very good at telling stories without words...
It doesn't appear to be much of a "story". Every episode is essentially the same thing with different environments.

The style is great, it's beautiful and well edited. But the substance as to what is going on is very very shallow. I guess you're right then... he's great at telling this story, the problem is there isn't much to tell.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Well I guess the show is over with only 5 episodes.

As far as we know, RIP T-Rex who I just found out her name is Fang

Best episode was the Mammoth one.
Wait, they just released 5 episodes in a row and that's all they will make?

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Abomination said:
CrazyGirl17 said:
It doesn't appear to be much of a "story". Every episode is essentially the same thing with different environments.

The style is great, it's beautiful and well edited. But the substance as to what is going on is very very shallow. I guess you're right then... he's great at telling this story, the problem is there isn't much to tell.
Fair enough. I've only seen the first episode so far, so...