General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Maybe someday FROM will make a Souls type game without iframes and combine the old with the new. It’s possible but probably very difficult to balance properly.
Just go full DMC with the combat. I would love to see a Bloodborne style game with DMC play style. The fandom reaction would be hilarious! A GS employee I knew at the time would makes with each other a lot on that. And how hardcore fans would freak out and how their franchise would be "ruined forever".

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: FakeSympathy

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Good news, Australian gamers!

Hopefully, now with some govt support, these devs can stay independent inside of selling up to multinational devs/publishers.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hopefully, now with some govt support, these devs can stay independent inside instead of selling up to multinational devs/publishers.
Did you mean to say "instead" and not "inside"? Because I feel that sounds better and makes more sense.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Just go full DMC with the combat. I would love to see a Bloodborne style game with DMC play style. The fandom reaction would be hilarious! A GS employee I knew at the time would makes with each other a lot on that. And how hardcore fans would freak out and how their franchised would be "ruined forever".
As a one-off like Sekiro or Bloodborne it would be interesting to see. I think Souls would still have to have its own identity even as a spiritual successor of sorts. What would be interesting is to make different classes with dedicated combat mechanics. Like a knight class could be more grounded sword n board focused, or a vampire/demigod class could have more action/style based combat. As long as there is some variety.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
That’s what happens after a half dozen games using the same basic formula. Sekiro was a bit different direction with the deflect focus but every new Souls game was iterated to be quicker and have more responsive combat. Having that meant the slower, more deliberate enemies of say, Demon’s Souls through most of DS2 would’ve been cake walks. Hell, just going back to those games as they are emboldens players to be more aggressive than they might have been before, but the combat mechanics aren’t quite up to par to support that.

Maybe someday FROM will make a Souls type game without iframes and combine the old with the new. It’s possible but probably very difficult to balance properly, while also being fun.
I think Sekiro really is what you ask for since it had no invuln frames at all, the dodge just moved you out of the way physically it didn't make you invuln. And while its focus on parrying is way higher than that of other games, such mechanics are there in other games to one degree or another too. Even final fantasy 16 has an entire summon whose entire thing is parrying all the things, and has unique projectile parries too.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Cheaper? Yes. Better? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Don't "consider", just do it. You can afford 10 different remasters and still be fine.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Ebert was old-school media, where the audience was expected to sit down, shut up and try to learn what the auteur was teaching them. The problem gaming has today is that there are too many self-styled "auteurs" who want to replicate that and resent the "game" part for getting in the way.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I think Sekiro really is what you ask for since it had no invuln frames at all, the dodge just moved you out of the way physically it didn't make you invuln. And while its focus on parrying is way higher than that of other games, such mechanics are there in other games to one degree or another too. Even final fantasy 16 has an entire summon whose entire thing is parrying all the things, and has unique projectile parries too.
I love Sekiro and mentioned it as being a bit different, but because of that it’s not really a Souls type of game. Its combat system was built around deflecting and the posture bar. If they make another Souls game I think it would be difficult to do well without iframes unless it was totally built for casters and/or sword n board. Even then it’s questionable as to how that would pan out. Realism has to take a back seat to fun. I mean, I liked Kingdom Come: Deliverance but for all the intricacies of its combat it looked and felt clunky as hell.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Reactions: meiam

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Better late than ever I suppose. SEGA games definitely have been great as of late, and this makes it all the better
Soon Sonic fans will finally be able to sell their original characters! (do not steal)

Also, Sega please make up your fucking mind, k?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Soon Sonic fans will finally be able to sell their original characters! (do not steal)

Also, Sega please make up your fucking mind, k?
SEGA, just stick with making and selling actual fucking game! Christ! Hell, I'd prefer you'd stick with your pachinko machines since you can't make up your mind!

Holy shit! I am not mad at the parents. Addiction or not, the kid did something really foolish. The article doesn't say what game he was playing. Wanna bet it was EA or 2K Sports game? How about suing their asses, if it's them or some other shit company that manipulates children and those with addictive tendencies.

Last edited:
Reactions: FakeSympathy

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Holy shit! I am not mad at the parents. Addiction or not, the kid did something really foolish. The article doesn't say what game he was playing. Wanna bet it was EA or 2K Sports game? How about sewing their asses, if it's them or some other shit company that manipulates children and those with addictive tendencies.
From that article
After losing a computer game, Pavel Mateev, a 15-year-old Russian kid, k*lled himself with a chainsaw in 2017.
1688986374980.jpeg

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
SEGA, just stick with making and selling actual fucking game! Christ! Hell, I'd prefer you'd stick with your pachinko machines since you can't make up your mind!

Holy shit! I am not mad at the parents. Addiction or not, the kid did something really foolish. The article doesn't say what game he was playing. Wanna bet it was EA or 2K Sports game? How about suing their asses, if it's them or some other shit company that manipulates children and those with addictive tendencies.
Those examples of kids that are addicted is sad, and show what a compound issue it is. Basically it’s either parents don’t care for whatever reason or don’t have the time and resources needed to teach their kids any structure, which is little surprise in modern society. The other part is predatory companies facilitating this dysfunction without consequence.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

So this is the first "FIFA" game from EA withouth FIFA endorsement. Without even commenting how generic it looks, look at the first two quotes of the video

"Includes in-game purchases (Includes random items)."
"Not actual gameplay, Footage rendered in Frostbite engine."

Okay, MTX/lootboxes are no suprise, but frostbite engine? Didn't they learn a long time ago that engine is only good for fps?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Okay, MTX/lootboxes are no suprise, but frostbite engine? Didn't they learn a long time ago that engine is only good for fps?
Fifa has been running on Frostbite since Fifa17 in 2016 though.

I'd assume they have been updating it throughout the years, one day it'll be their capable all purpose engine I suppose.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Those examples of kids that are addicted is sad, and show what a compound issue it is. Basically it’s either parents don’t care for whatever reason or don’t have the time and resources needed to teach their kids any structure, which is little surprise in modern society. The other part is predatory companies facilitating this dysfunction without consequence.
Oh yeah, the parents aren't exactly off the hook either. Though I don't know personally what's going on with these set of parents, but it still should fall into responsibility to make sure to know what their kid is doing. If y'all don't have enough time, then make some damn time.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2