General Gaming News.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Yo a new Dragonquest is coming eventually.

They're also doing a remake of Dragon Quest III with a visual style similar to Octopath Traveller, which imo looks much nicer with a brighter, more saturated palette.

Maybe not such a big deal out here in the West, but I bet for Japan it is. DQ3 was more or less for jrpgs in Japan what FFVII was for us.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
It's cool they're making new DQ games, but I hope they get a bit more ambitious with gameplay, I don't mean abandoning turn based but rather add more interesting features and some dept. DQ11 was pretty shallow and there wasn't much to it, even with the addition of the levelling board.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It's cool they're making new DQ games, but I hope they get a bit more ambitious with gameplay, I don't mean abandoning turn based but rather add more interesting features and some dept. DQ11 was pretty shallow and there wasn't much to it, even with the addition of the levelling board.
I think DQ games are deliberately trying to keep to a JRPG tradition. The reason why they don't evolve much from game to game is a purposeful and stylistic choice to keep the series grounded in what makes DQ a DQ.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
They're also doing a remake of Dragon Quest III with a visual style similar to Octopath Traveller, which imo looks much nicer with a brighter, more saturated palette.

Maybe not such a big deal out here in the West, but I bet for Japan it is. DQ3 was more or less for jrpgs in Japan what FFVII was for us.
It would be cool to get a Final Fantasy 6 Remake in this style. Because i never thought that 6 would work in a remake form the way FF7 would because of the sprite base of the original. However the Octopath style is really stunning, and I think it would make for a great platform engine for 5 and 6 to get remakes on.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
@happyninja42, where ya at? Here's finally more Dying Light 2! I know you've been waiting forever.

The dentist actually :p

It looks fine, honestly though there wasn't anything in that trailer that was really new compared to the first one. Didn't really expand on the story at all, so it was mostly a tech demo and, eh, those don't really fluffer my nutters.

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I think DQ games are deliberately trying to keep to a JRPG tradition. The reason why they don't evolve much from game to game is a purposeful and stylistic choice to keep the series grounded in what makes DQ a DQ.
Like I said you can keep the turn based aspect, that's not a problem. I just got bored pretty quick of the combat because of how simplistic it was, use element enemy is weak to and keep your HP. You can always give it some depth and add an easy mode for people who don't want to bother with it.

Def agree on FF6 remake with octopath graphic, just finished playing world of final fantasy which made me feel like playing FF6 so I almost brought the steam version but then remembered how awful it looks. There's a big problem with the best way to play a retro game is not the official version but rather emulator.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This game is remade from the ground up, a la Shadow of the Colossus Remake. I am downloading this at midnight, June 1st ASAP.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Not really the normal fare for this thread, but I'll chuck it in anyway. So, CA have just pulled the plug on Total War: Three Kingdoms in perhaps the dumbest possible way. "We're replacing TW:3K... with TW:3K!!" *jazz hands*

Not much to show for the announcement except a bad attempt at hyping up what's probably going to be an overblown expansion. Though I haven't played it, TW:3K does look like a pretty polished game with interesting campaign mechanics (though with the same battle issues that have been there since before Warhammer), but the DLC's have been pretty hit and miss. So with this coming out of the blue with what appears to be a few originally planned DLC's nix'd... *dramatic shrug*

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
This game is remade from the ground up, a la Shadow of the Colossus Remake. I am downloading this at midnight, June 1st ASAP.

Did you mention before it’s also a freebie for PS+?. So it is then, which is surprising for a day one release. I’ve never really played more than a demo of one of the earlier games (1 or 2 I think) so this would be perfect to really try it out.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Did you mention before it’s also a freebie for PS+? I’ve never really played more than a demo of one of the earlier games (1 or 2 I think) so this would be perfect to really try it out.
Yes, it'll be free for a couple of months on, if you are subscribed to PS+.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
To sum up everything I can find online so far:
  • CDPR lost 64% in the net profit to cover the bug fixes and patches
  • The roadmap looks more or less the same according to this Reddit post
  • the other half of the team is working on smaller unannounced projects
It really pains me to see the game in a such state. It has so much potential to be the next GTA, but if everyone moves away from the game, I am sure CDPR will stop caring as well. I really wish the game industry would stop with this roadmap bullshit, because I rarely see them followed or the content that is promised ends up mediocre. I don't see these free dlcs being anything significant; probably some weapon re-skins, in-game shrits, and some extra side-quests. Unlike Witcher 3's HOS and BAW, I don't think there would be any expansions. Would be cool to see other parts of the world, though.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
To sum up everything I can find online so far:
  • CDPR lost 64% in the net profit to cover the bug fixes and patches
  • The roadmap looks more or less the same according to this Reddit post
  • the other half of the team is working on smaller unannounced projects
It really pains me to see the game in a such state. It has so much potential to be the next GTA, but if everyone moves away from the game, I am sure CDPR will stop caring as well. I really wish the game industry would stop with this roadmap bullshit, because I rarely see them followed or the content that is promised ends up mediocre. I don't see these free dlcs being anything significant; probably some weapon re-skins, in-game shrits, and some extra side-quests. Unlike Witcher 3's HOS and BAW, I don't think there would be any expansions. Would be cool to see other parts of the world, though.
How is that a roadmap, it's just vague "we'll drop some update". I can understand company, most of the public moves on very quickly once a game is release and supporting it post launch is a high effort low reward game. I'd absolutely love for more game to be re-release a la FF14, so many game have the scafolding to be amazing but just need some polishes but ultimatly the polish need to be done by people and those people need to be paid. Releasing some sort of paid mega patch/DLC to fix the issue would anger people who already brough teh game and think all that should have been in from teh beginning, making it free won't really get many people who avoid the game buy it because the game isn't on their radar anymore. Personally I'd be fine with paying for the mega patch if it really was substantial, but I have a feeling that the negative publicity it would garner would far outweigh the profit. So this is probably why most game with potential are instead abandoned, you really only have one chance.

I think the solution would be to move toward first making a game with small scope at first and then build on it for a sequel/expansion pack (use the same engine/asset but release it as stand alone).