General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah honestly we forget that people who play video games couldn't give half a shit about 90% of the stuff we care about. I have so many casual gaming friends who actually like the presence of microtransactions, and pre-ordering. It's not always their fault, but it is sad to see that the fight against bullshit video game practices is such an uphill one.
They've been lied and brainwashed. I've met a couple of those people with a similar mentality, but at least got some of them thinking. I remember meeting one mother that work at a Mexican restaurant. She had a banned herson from playing Fortnite. He took her credit card without permission and spent some money. Thankfully it wasn't in the high thousands but it was a couple hundred. Dude got grounded for a long while.

I also remember another time at a best buy, I told this mother and son who are all about the digital only, "what happens when your internet goes out, can't pay the bills, the game gets delisted from the digital store, or you lose power?". If your game is online only, you're definitely screwed. They couldn't respond with anything other than silence and a quiet "Oh".

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I like you Phil Spencer, but you got to show me something. Buying a bottle of studios don't mean anything if you're not going to do something with them.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah honestly we forget that people who play video games couldn't give half a shit about 90% of the stuff we care about. I have so many casual gaming friends who actually like the presence of microtransactions, and pre-ordering. It's not always their fault, but it is sad to see that the fight against bullshit video game practices is such an uphill one.
Not to mention people are subject to the conditioning that these practices have beat into people. There are people in college now that have no idea that games used to not have DLC or microtransactions or extra shit to buy if you wanted. Think about that for a second. 18-25 year-olds grew up with only modern gaming experiences and that means season passes, lootboxes, and all that fun shit.

As a result it has been so normalized that I don't think that shit will go away anytime soon because there are too may people who've accepted it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not to mention people are subject to the conditioning that these practices have beat into people. There are people in college now that have no idea that games used to not have DLC or microtransactions or extra shit to buy if you wanted. Think about that for a second. 18-25 year-olds grew up with only modern gaming experiences and that means season passes, lootboxes, and all that fun shit.

As a result it has been so normalized that I don't think that shit will go away anytime soon because there are too may people who've accepted it.
Which is why it's important to teach them. Show them the proper way. Sooner or later, they'll learn the easy way or the hard way. They always had a choice, even if they believe they didn't.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Which is why it's important to teach them. Show them the proper way. Sooner or later, they'll learn the easy way or the hard way. They always had a choice, even if they believe they didn't.
It isn't about learning though. To those people it's just what these games have in them whether or not they chose to engage with them.

On top of that, how would you teach someone who doesn't give a shit about video games that much? To someone who only plays a couple hours of CoD a month and only buys 1 or 2 games a year, what lesson would they care enough to learn? That's the problem.

It's our problem because we actively game as a hobby and not as a once in a while thing. So we see the damage it does and how it affects gaming in general. But to a very casual gamer, they wouldn't notice or care and have no real reason to. So the solution is not so simple.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
On top of that, how would you teach someone who doesn't give a shit about video games that much? To someone who only plays a couple hours of CoD a month and only buys 1 or 2 games a year, what lesson would they care enough to learn? That's the problem.
You'd be surprised. While many people do do this, tedium or boredom sets in at some point.

As far as the how, I have no set of proper guideline, I just show them what I know and what I've learned. If they are interested so be it, if not no worries. I will always be truthful with them though. I won't talk down to them, the gentle. Though should they be dicks about it, I will come off as harsh depending on the circumstances.

I remember encountering these two guys at a Gamestop. They were other customers they were literally just getting the next console for a new Madden, even though they couldn't get an Xbox series X yet. And the next sports game they're getting was going to be on X1 anyway. I literally told him you do realize it and playing the same game for years now it barely any changes or just a roster update. Both seem to acknowledge this, but they had to look of barely admitting it. It says even they were going through the motions at this point. I think the other guy had some interest in other stuff, but they mostly cared about sports titles. I mentioned all the other crap EA and 2K were doing. They were shocked but not that surprised the same time. All I told him was this "You both have a choice. What you do is up to you. Don't come crying to me when you get screwed over though. Best of luck and enjoy your new console if you ever get it." Their reaction was the equivalent of they're still getting it, but there are some uncertainty from them. Another way of teaching to the young ones is if you got actual kids yourself, or cousins, nephews, or nieces that are younger than you. As we seen from some of our members here, they've already gotten started.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Wow EA, you just love adding fuel to the fire, don't you?
k4iix7u4rva71.png

Reminds me of how xbox one originally tried to not allow used games.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Wow EA, you just love adding fuel to the fire, don't you?
View attachment 4047

Reminds me of how xbox one originally tried to not allow used games.
History repeats itself. This is the crap we've all been talking about and seen before. Remember online passes? Remember how they tried to cheat customers out of buying used games, punishing them, or make them feel like they're less than dirt and scum for not having a proper income? I remember buying a couple of EA Games used just to spite them. I never felt any shame for it, nor afterward. Ubisoft was guilty of this, and Koei Tecmo as well.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Wow sucks so hard and so many big wow guys are streaming FF14 that Square has had to STOP digital sales of the game to prevent their servers from exploding.

It's crazy right now, like WoW has finally reached such a low that even people resisting FF14 are giving up and saying "fuck it let's try" and then getting blown away. FF14 strikes an incredible balance of what WoW used to be on top of also allowing for a great single player JRPG experience.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Wow sucks so hard and so many big wow guys are streaming FF14 that Square has had to STOP digital sales of the game to prevent their servers from exploding.

It's crazy right now, like WoW has finally reached such a low that even people resisting FF14 are giving up and saying "fuck it let's try" and then getting blown away. FF14 strikes an incredible balance of what WoW used to be on top of also allowing for a great single player JRPG experience.
The curtain falls and nothing lasts forever. It was going to happen at some point. Blizzard should be proud that they even lasted this long. That said, I do find it ironic FF14 is taking the top spot now.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

This reminds me of people complaining that EA announced Star Wars: Squadron wasn't getting any DLC, or fuck, any game where it does get DLC and people complain. My response is "So? That's a good thing." We should not be begging Game Companies for DLC, not when we know how game companies(particularly ones like EA) exploit and abuse DLC as an excuse to make an incomplete game and then sell you the missing bits.

If a company makes a $40 game that's complete, either buy it or don't buy it. If it makes enough, hopefully it'll get a sequel. If not, at least it was a complete game without a bunch of sleazy MTX/DLC/Season Pass Bullshit.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
This reminds me of people complaining that EA announced Star Wars: Squadron wasn't getting any DLC, or fuck, any game where it does get DLC and people complain. My response is "So? That's a good thing." We should not be begging Game Companies for DLC, not when we know how game companies(particularly ones like EA) exploit and abuse DLC as an excuse to make an incomplete game and then sell you the missing bits.

If a company makes a $40 game that's complete, either buy it or don't buy it. If it makes enough, hopefully it'll get a sequel. If not, at least it was a complete game without a bunch of sleazy MTX/DLC/Season Pass Bullshit.
Just shows you how ingrained the idea of DLC is for some people.

Then again DLC done right isn't always a bad thing. We can all agree that shit like locked fighters on a disc like what Capcom is known for is shitty DLC. However i think we can also all agree that expansion-like DLC's such as what The Witcher 3 had are great.

And it's one thing to play a complete game and enjoy it so much that you want more to the game. FF7Remake and the Yuffie DLC for example. FF7RE was a complete and wonderful experience and a bit of expanded DLC is not something I'm opposed too when the original product was so good.

So long as the DLC is valued right I think it's fine. DLC that is just horse armor, or weapon skins is bullshit.

Reactions: Dalisclock

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Well this is just disappointing. While not confirmed, there are rumors that there will be no Dragon Age or Mass Effect either. I wonder what will even carry the event this time?

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia

There's a.... Gundam Overwatch. Why? Who knows. Why is the Asshimar in the roster? Nothing but questions. Maybe best left unanswered.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here we go....

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Here we go....

Never gonna amount to anything.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Never gonna amount to anything.
I sighed when I saw the news. I'm not that surprised about it, at the same time I'm like "why?". I figure it's going to last about what, 5 or 6 months and then they shot it down?

Last edited: