General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Da'vine Joy Randolph wins Best Supporting Actress at the Oscars. Called it, well deserved. I predict Holdovers also wins Original Screenplay and, if anybody's gonna (unlikely) take it from Cillian, Giamatti will get Best Actor.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Miyazaki's Boy and the Heron wins Best Animated Picture. This was my one absolute must of the evening and if nothing else goes as predicted that's good enough for me.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Alright, Original Screenplay goes to Anatomy of a Fall, Adapted goes to American Fiction. Not my favorites in either category but I think still well-deserved for the realistic dialogue in Anatomy of a Fall and the satirical commentary in American Fiction. So far Barbenheimer loses every nom.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Poor Things sweeps Hair and Makeup, Production Design and Costume Design. Well-deserved again for a movie with such a bold and quaint yet grounded aesthetic. Boy did the voters have it in for Barbie though. Not even a Hair and Makeup nom? I guess if Barbie wins anything it'll be (fittingly) for I'm Just Ken.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Zone of Interest wins Best Foreign Film. I only watched this and Society of the Snow in this category but again I'd say the best nominee really did win the award. So far so good, nothing "outrageous" outside Barbenheimer not getting anything. Although surely Oppenheimer sweeps the technical stuff.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The great 10 million dollar Godzilla Minus One wins Best FX against a bunch of 200 million dollar Western tanks, Oppenheimer naturally wins Best Editing.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I forget the names but the public school system doc wins Best Short Doc and the war on Ukraine doc wins Best Doc.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar wins Best Live Action Short. Didn't see the other nominees but I really liked it. Is this Wes Anderson's first Oscar? Dude wasn't even present.

Oppenheimer tech sweep continues: Best Cinematography. Can't believe Hoyte hadn't already won for Dunkirk.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Zone of Interest righteously takes Best Sound.

Ryan kills it singing I'm Just Ken. They better win for that song.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
YES, Ludwig Goransson wins Best Score for Oppenheimer.

BOO, Billie Eilish wins Best Song instead of I'm Just Ken. At least Barbie got something.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Oppenheimer sweep continues: Cillian gets Best Actor, Nolan gets Best Director. Fantastic, absolutely deserved.

I think it's down to Sandra Huller, Emma Stone and Lily Gladstone for Best Actress, and Anatomy of a Fall, Poor Things and Oppenheimer for Best Picture. Emphasis on Emma and Oppenheimer.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Yup, Emma and Oppenheimer win.

Oppenheimer sweeps Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Cinematography, Score and Editing.

Poor Things gets Actress and a few nice aesthetic awards (Makeup, Production, Costume).

Zone of Interest wins Foreign Film and Sound.

Very happy about the wins for Hayao Miyazaki, Wes Anderson and Da'vine Joy Randolph.

I nailed every prediction except the screenplays and while I liked Holdovers over Anatomy of a Fall and Oppenheimer over American Fiction I think the awards are still well earned.

Only disappointment was I'm Just Ken not winning Best Song. Other than that, I don't remember the last Oscars where practically all the nominees I was rooting for won the thing.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Ceremony wins and lows:

Wins
  • A Danny DeVito and Arnold reunion transforms into a Batman reunion with Michael Keaton.
  • Ryan Gosling kills it performing I'm Just Ken.
  • John Cena presenting the costume award nekkid is definitely the funniest bit.
  • Mulaney kills with a little standup routine because it doesn't hinge on awkwardly reading a prompter.

Lows
  • Kimmel goes on for a little too long on an awkward joke about RDJ + drugs. Got a bit tense for a minute.
  • It's a bummer they still won't recognize stunt performance as a category and a montage of all the movies that were snubbed is a poor consolation prize.
  • I don't like it when the In Memoriam bit becomes about the performance and not the people that are being honored.
  • Pacino kinda botched the Best Picture win announcement. No biggie but really anticlimactic.

Mixed
  • For this year they decided every actor category would be announced by having five precious winners on stage each gushing about the five nominees. And while it does get you some incredible talent on stage and its very nice to see Nic Cage sing the praises of Paul Giamatti to Paul Giamatti, it also means each category takes 5 times longer than it should.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Ceremony wins and lows:

Wins
  • A Danny DeVito and Arnold reunion transforms into a Batman reunion with Michael Keaton.
  • Ryan Gosling kills it performing I'm Just Ken.
  • John Cena presenting the costume award nekkid is definitely the funniest bit.
  • Mulaney kills with a little standup routine because it doesn't hinge on awkwardly reading a prompter.

Lows
  • Kimmel goes on for a little too long on an awkward joke about RDJ + drugs. Got a bit tense for a minute.
  • It's a bummer they still won't recognize stunt performance as a category and a montage of all the movies that were snubbed is a poor consolation prize.
  • I don't like it when the In Memoriam bit becomes about the performance and not the people that are being honored.
  • Pacino kinda botched the Best Picture win announcement. No biggie but really anticlimactic.

Mixed
  • For this year they decided every actor category would be announced by having five precious winners on stage each gushing about the five nominees. And while it does get you some incredible talent on stage and its very nice to see Nic Cage sing the praises of Paul Giamatti to Paul Giamatti, it also means each category takes 5 times longer than it should.
Thanks for the rundown on all of this. Guessing you meant “previous”, but I suppose they could also be considered precious to an extent.

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States