General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's been a while since we got John Stewart in anything. Which is... bizarre. You have a character popular with younger fans AND who brings in some diversity AND has historically been part of the Justice League. Buuuuut nope, let's go with Cyborg. He's black, he'll do.
Even though it has nothing to do with John Stewart, I think the only reason they sill have not brought any recent live-action incarnation of a Green Lantern, is WB/DC are still ashamed and embarrassed about the GL movie with Ryan Reynolds.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yikes
You won't be seeing her in a movie ever again! I have no words for this. Are you sure you can get them in jail for another 8 years on top of that?

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Yikes
Ironic that she played a sidekick to the villain in the movie. Although, calling her a "Doctor Strange actress" is so blatantly baiting for clicks. Either way, glad she and her dipshit partner were sentenced.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Maybe, there have been a number of exceptions to that rule. For example, Victor Salva went on to have a successful film career, despite his career lagging for a bit after serving 15 months for child abuse.
Never heard of him. Besides, she's getting 22 years. Going to be in there for a long time to think about all she had done.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Unless they're sending the Predator equivalant of a ten year old with no weapons then I don't see how this can be anything but a comedy.
IDK, maybe they are trying to re-capture that horror theme of the first Predator movie; A primitive society trying to survive against a hunter from another world. Maybe NAs will be much smarter with blending with the environment compared to survivors set in current time. Of course, they will have to figure out how to outsmart predator's thermal vision.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
IDK, maybe they are trying to re-capture that horror theme of the first Predator movie; A primitive society trying to survive against a hunter from another world. Maybe NAs will be much smarter with blending with the environment compared to survivors set in current time. Of course, they will have to figure out how to outsmart predator's thermal vision.
Dan Carlin, podcaster of Hardcore History, once said (roughly) that if you took a group of Apache warriors, brought them to modern times, trained them how to use modern weapons and technology and then sent them off into the mountains with various military hardware, that you'd never be able to get them out of there.

A Predator is basically an Apache warrior with rocket launchers, thermal vision, active camo, AND with a stronger body.

Don't get me wrong, you can make this work, my comment about sending a 10 year old Predator with no weapons was only mostly a joke. If they have this Predator going in with less to work with than others in the past, whether because of youthful challenge or maybe some kind of trial, then this can work, but not with a Predator armed like the ones in P1 or P2.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Unless they're sending the Predator equivalant of a ten year old with no weapons then I don't see how this can be anything but a comedy.
Don’t take it as gospel but in the Alien vs. Predator comics they did have a senior Predator take younger members of the species on supervised hunts against somewhat softer targets. Dangerous enough for the younger ones to learn, but nothing the grown up in the room couldn’t put on its ass in three or four seconds flat.

So you may be closer to the mark than you think.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Don't get me wrong, you can make this work, my comment about sending a 10 year old Predator with no weapons was only mostly a joke. If they have this Predator going in with less to work with than others in the past, whether because of youthful challenge or maybe some kind of trial, then this can work, but not with a Predator armed like the ones in P1 or P2.
Eh, in previous films Predators would tend to forgo using their fancy weapons against people armed with knives and swords and the like, and not absolutely always win. Using the plasma gun on someone armed with a bow is cheating, yeah.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Looks at thread...

Okay, I don't know why people are so bemused about Prey taking place c. 1722. Even casting aside Alien vs. Predator (the movie), Predator 2 makes it clear that the yautja have been coming to Earth for a long time. And if you factor in the comics, they've been coming to Earth since at least the 9th century (Skeld's Keep takes place in 820 IIRC). As for the weapons stuff, well, I don't think that's really an issue either. You can actually do something conceptually interesting, that even if the Commache defeat the yautja with its superior weaponry, they still have to deal with (admittedly not as) superior weaponry possessed by Europeans, along with superior numbers. Perhaps that's being 'woke,' but I'd argue that the first Predator film is one you can draw real-world inspiration to (Vietnam War).

But will it be good? I dunno. I pray that Prey will be good, otherwise it's Disney just being predatory on our desire for good Predators, which is a partcuarly pernicous phase of predation.

(Yes, I gave you the names for following Predator films, Disney, you can thank me later.)

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So, Bruce Banner is forced to be this lumbering brute, while his cousin gets to keep her physique?

...okay.
Very much a comic originating sin. I think they bullshit around it by saying Jennifer has less of the gamma in her since she got it via blood transfusion whereas Bruce got, you know, directly soaked in the radiation.

Pour example.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So, Bruce Banner is forced to be this lumbering brute, while his cousin gets to keep her physique?

...okay.
Further question, why does lumbering brute Banner's CGI look 300 times better than that of larger than average woman Jennifer Walters?

I mean yeah, they already had Hulk assets, and budget restrictions and all that, but I really would have thought Disney would have rather splurged than get some pretty bad PR for their streaming service.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Further question, why does lumbering brute Banner's CGI look 300 times better than that of larger than average woman Jennifer Walters?

Also the series is supposed to be echoing John Byrne's comics from the 80s and 90s which were (afaik) mostly comedic and yeah that includes Walters being sexy. For once you can combine modern female empowerment and a gag character form the 80s. (The show will probably still suck, but whatever.)