General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Speak for yourself. Spider-Verse is still gorgeous to look at. EVERYBODY'S TAKING FROM SPIDER-VERSE NOW! I still have to see the new Puss & Boots later. I'm still sad that live action movie for the 2010 TMNT that happened.

April was already black in the original comic books. She is mulatto in the comics and based off of Eastman's then girlfriend at the time. April has brown hair in the 1987 version. Crimson red hair in the 2003 version. Orange red hair in the 2012 version. Black in the Rise of TMNT series and movie. But yeah, I did seem to notice that as well when it comes to race swaps recently. More so among the females. At least April was already a person of color to begin with. So if anything, she's been "whitewashed" (using it as a joke here) the most.
Not quite true. Here's an article on it.

https://www.cbr.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-april-oneil-origins/

In a 2002 retrospective, Eastman noted about April, "Originally created as an Asian character in Pete's notes, but named after an African American woman I once knew, the character of April O'Neil was introduced in issue #2, and would have a bunch of different 'looks' throughout the TMNT history."

Laird, for his part, has said, "As the co-creator of the character of April O'Neil, and as someone who has always imagined her as white, and very likely of Irish/Scottish/English ancestry, I was not at all "unsettled" by the depictions of her as such in the various adaptations. Kevin may have had a different view, and I can't speak for him, but that's the way I always saw her. As for the coloring of her skin in the color reprints of the Mirage comics, Kevin always had a lot more input on that end of our business than I did, and in fact I'm pretty sure he did the colors on the initial such reprinting from First Comics, the one in the graphic novel form. Make of that what you will."

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yeah, I forgot to correct my post after watching the Double Toasted video discussing the misconception. The original version still wasn't exactly while, so there we go on that end. Thanks though.
I have the first sort of arc of the TMNT comic n colour on my shelf and her skin colour can be weirdly inconsistent. Like in the issues where they’re fighting the mousers she looks dark skinned - but not to the extent of Baxter - but in the next few issues when the Turtles move in with her she looks very much like she’s white.

Also unrelated but I don’t think I’ll ever get used to Donnie having glasses. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And I’d imagine it will be as thoughtful as its logo, as unofficial as it even is.
I never liked Scream pretty much around the third movie. Even then, I'm not that big of a fan of the first two movies. They're good, but I never felt the need to see them again. They really just need to stop at this point. You're doing Wes Craven a big disservice for years now.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Gundam Witch From Mercury S2 coming April 9th
I mean, JJ Abrams is involved. Dump is the correct response.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Gundam Witch From Mercury S2 coming April 9th
I mean, JJ Abrams is involved. Dump is the correct response.
Title misnomer. JJ Abrams is the one doing the dumping of a cartoon by Bruce Timm who did this stuff too:

1678470965127.png

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They're still streaming on their custom site, so all is not lost. Even if Twitch doesn't work out, DT's got plenty and I will still watch them.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

motherfu-suprise.gif

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Good luck with that Marvel.
I feel like leaking the ant-man 3 script is the equivalent of ripping open and accidently dumping a bag of plain paper plates on the floor. "Ohhhh noooo all the surprises.............................."

Reactions: BrawlMan