General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Linden Ashby's performance as JC more than makes up for it. I get what could have been, but Van Damme made his choice. No one screwed him over on that one.

Linden Ashby as Johnny Cage lives rent free in my brain the same way Christopher Reeve as Superman and Chris Evans as Captain America do. All other Johnny Cage's shall be measured against him until I am one with the universe.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The latest installment in my toxic relationship with Star Wars. Dare I say it looks pretty good?

The fact the cast of Rebels seems to be returning is all I need to get me to watch this.

Though I can imagine a lot of people are gonna watch this and be very confused just who all these new characters are being that a lot of people passed on Rebels. To be fair, a lot of people apparently don't bother with any of the animated shows for some reason(Mandalorian and Bad Batch are currently running simulatiously right now, though most of the attention is on Mandalorian like Bad Batch doesn't exist).

KInda like how people got confused that Darth Maul was still alive in Solo because they apparently didn't bother with Clone Wars or didn't know it was a thing. Yeah, it was wierd that Clone wars brought him back, but they also gave him a lot more character development then "Guy with cool lightsaber" he was in Episode 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawki and BrawlMan

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
KInda like how people got confused that Darth Maul was still alive in Solo because they apparently didn't bother with Clone Wars or didn't know it was a thing. Yeah, it was wierd that Clone wars brought him back, but they also gave him a lot more character development then "Guy with cool lightsaber" he was in Episode 1.
I had a "wtf? moment when they brought Maul back in Solo.

Not because I wasn't aware that he was still alive, but that I couldn't fathom the writers/producers just throwing him in when a good percentage of the audience has likely never watched Clone Wars and/or browsed Wookiepedia.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland

Not because I wasn't aware that he was still alive, but that I couldn't fathom the writers/producers just throwing him in when a good percentage of the audience has likely never watched Clone Wars and/or browsed Wookiepedia.
I hadn't registered it. I was just "oh, a guy from the same spieces as that prequel dude".

Star Wars going superhero comics with its resurrections (Palpatine, Fett, Maul) is spectacularly stupid.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Since my mum didn't know he was still alive, and since Solo was a prequel, she quite naturally assumed that this film came before The Phantom Menace.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

I didn't care much for Solo, it was hard for me to really care much at that point but yeah, it is really just thrown in for little reason that I can remember(no, I'm not going to go back at watch it to figure out the context). Then again, Solo felt like it was pandering a lot to the fans.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012

Turns out 'The Mandalorian' is literally the friends we made along the way.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

WWWWWWHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!????

Meh. It is not even worth going on a rage over. Disney is still flying by seat of their pants, and making the same mistake as the expanded universe novels. It's gotten so bad that the only projects getting well reception are either prequels, prequels to those prequels, and non-canon spinoffs and story lines. Ashoka possibly being the exception of having a story take place afterwards. As far as live action Star Wars stuff, that's the only thing I'm possibly invested in seeing right now.

Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I don't get the reactionisms. Anyway apparently is fake, and I can't find original source at all. It's all just 4chan and twitter links, with the earliest being some russian blog.
If it's fake it's just believable enough to be something dumb that the current Star Wars team at Disney would do. So well done.

But what if it's not.....

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If it's fake it's just believable enough to be something dumb that the current Star Wars team at Disney would do. So well done.

But what if it's not.....
You got better things to worry about, than what a, real or imaginary, screw-ups Disney are doing again.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I will admit, I was one of the dreamers that hoped they were gonna somehow non-canon the films, I mean Lucas did non-canon everything good about the extended universe at one point.

It is weird to sit back and remember however that the prequels were also trash products and by product I mean, just like sequels, they were made for monetary reasons, not out of love. I still remember watching those unfortunate quicktime shorts Lucasfilm would put out of them making the prequels with rooms full of staff spitballing ideas and Lucas just shrugging and looking miserable.

Thats the problem at the heart of Marvel and Disneys sinking ships. They are running out of talent who actually gives a shit about their "product". They're at the point of hiring people with agendas or prestige motivations. It's not that I'm not interested in this follow up trilogy because the last one was bad, I'm not interested because why the fuck should I be?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It is weird to sit back and remember however that the prequels were also trash products and by product I mean, just like sequels, they were made for monetary reasons, not out of love.
Attack of the Clones I really only considered trash. Phantom Menace is just average, and Revenge of the Sith is surprisingly good, but not without its own set of flaws. The 3D clone Wars cartoon did a better job of having Anakin can go to his downward spiral of darkness, better than the whole prequel trilogy though.

Thats the problem at the heart of Marvel and Disneys sinking ships. They are running out of talent who actually gives a shit about their "product". They're at the point of hiring people with agendas or prestige motivations. It's not that I'm not interested in this follow up trilogy because the last one was bad, I'm not interested because why the fuck should I be?
It's exact reason why I haven't looked forward to almost anything new from Disney or Marvel. Star Wars they pretty much admitted they were going by to seat of their pants, but not until after the 3rd sequel movie came out. Say whatever you will about Lucas and hid many flaws with the prequel trilogy, but at least he had something of a plan. If Disney's not going to care, make the same mistakes as the expanded universe novels and comics that did terrible levels of fanfiction writing, and it's just writing the nostalgia wave 99% of the time, then what's the point of being invested? With marvel, they're literally chasing the magic dragon and putting everything on the assembly line assuming that no matter the quality, every Marvel movie will make some type of money. It's why I'm glad to have just regular action movies and appreciate the ones that come out nowadays I'd rather just tell a complete story or one off, then try to spin off a franchise out of every single facet.

Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Um, sorry, I'm not enthused about post-Rise stuff either, but why is this particuarly egregious?
Because why choose this to be a teaser of her return? She had no romantic relationships in the trilogy and there i no reason to showcase it here. Even if she has a man in the next film, it makes no sense to make this a key teaser as there is no established connection for the audience to speculate about.

And it stinks of dumb plot devices and stupid writing that makes no sense. She gonna have a son named Luke skywalker and it turns out the whole thing is a time loop?