General Print Media News (Comics, Manga, Webcomics, Novels, etc)

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I can't really comprehend people reading post-Fleming Bond, post-Conan Doyle Holmes, post-Frank Herbert Dune, etc...
*Looks around nervously*

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Conan and Red Sonja have been doing fine for decades after their respective writers deaths.
REH's had issues, and it often showed in his work, not replicating that in later Conan stories in no bad thing.

OTOH, he was on good terms with Lovecraft (which, ok, not a great sign), but some of his stories lean much more towards Lovecraftian horror (just with muscly barbarians) than later adaptations are interested in.

Similarly, of Edgar Rice Burrough's stories, we only get really got adaptations of Tarzan, and he just does boring jungle stuff. Where the beautiful ape princesses to be rescued while riding a triceratops? Flying on a zeppelin to the inside of the Earth?

(Or, in one notable case, trying to build a magic radio to communicate with his friends in the inside of the Earth, but ending up connected with Mars by mistake. And what they are interested in hearing from Mars is about a princess that got rescued the other day.)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
REH's had issues, and it often showed in his work, not replicating that in later Conan stories in no bad thing.
Minus the racism and sexism, it shouldn't. I admit that I haven't read too many modern Conan stories, but they seem to do fine, last I heard. I know Howard and Lovecraft were pen pals and best of buddies, but I still say Lovecraft was so much worse. Like I said before in the old thread, the stories are better with adaptions or people doing their own spin with Eldritch horror mythos then he ever could. Which is even more ironic, because the adaption of Lovecraft Country has blacks as the main protagonists.

Similarly, of Edgar Rice Burrough's stories, we only get really got adaptations of Tarzan, and he just does boring jungle stuff. Where the beautiful ape princesses to be rescued while riding a triceratops? Flying on a zeppelin to the inside of the Earth?
The Mars books are easier stomach and comes with some extra positives. As for Tarzan, I wouldn't mind all the other crazy stuff, but I think it's a problem with the people at top. Most people wouldn't mind the crazy stuff in Tarzan. Just take out the bad racism and you're done.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Minus the racism and sexism, it shouldn't. I admit that I haven't read too many modern Conan stories, but they seem to do fine, last I heard. I know Howard and Lovecraft were pen pals in the best of buddies, but I still say Lovecraft was so much worse. Like I said before in the old thread, the stories are better with adaptions or people doing their own spin with Eldtrich horror mythos then he ever could. Which is even more ironic, because the adaption of Lovecraft Country has blacks as the main protagonists.
Oh sure, Lovecraft was way, way worse, and if you take out the racism and sexism Conan is fine, sure, that's the only real problems with it, unless you are worried about waffle about society and barbarians that might appeal to the wrong crowd.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
unless you are worried about society and barbarians that might appeal to the wrong crowd.
That's always going to be a problem no matter where you go. The same jackass is that think they can get by in a zombie apocalypse are the ones that are usually the first to die. Most of them are usually the same jackasses that followed Norse mythology for the wrong reason and impose their views, racism, and "might make its right" attitude into it, without understanding a damn thing about its history or the culture. They only look at the surface level stuff.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Reactions: BrawlMan

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Dungeon Meshi/Delicious in Dungeon has ended its decade long run with the release of chapter 97 in magazine Harta.

Absolutely brilliant ending, should be on everybody's "Best Of" list. Volumes 13 and 14 will be releasing in the middle of December in Japan, so the English ones will probably be in the middle of next year

Perfect time to check it out
IMG_3100.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
100 or bust. :p
If you absolutely need to fill time, it has a volume sized Adventurer's Bible and Daydream Hour 2-5 (the first Daydream Hour is a fantastic sketchbook but doesn't have Dungeon Meshi stuff)

Besides, it's a seinen manga, not a shonen. Characters don't spend volumes wallowing in cheap miscommunications or throwing special attack names at each other.

Seriously though, Delicious in Dungeon started with a closed premise: a desperate rescue mission with tight time constraints. Stretching it much further would be stretching credulity

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia