Genuinely Terrified

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
I expect the majority of us are mature and horror-experienced folk, but there must be a concept be it via book, film, game, or piece of art that terrifies you or at least leaves you feeling uncomfortable. I bring this up because I'm usually the type who sees no difference in terror between eating a lovely & pleasant cake, and watching supposedly extremely unsettling films. In reality, I'm scared of nothing. No wait, that came out wrong. Let me rephrase that. I'm not scared of anything.

But there are occasionally films and games that genuinely creep me out. 'The Grudge' is one of them. And this is a film that most people breeze through. Since maturing, I've never watched a horror film that makes me uncomfortable. I watched the third last night and I had to watch the entirety of 'David Gorman's Google Whack' before being comfortable enough to switch off the TV and go to bed. I'm not sure what about it freaks me out so easily. Possibly the stringy waves of pure darkness forming into a stone-cold steve austin child, possibly the writing and directing that fits so perfectly with the type of horror it's trying to ensue. Possibly everything about it.

I'd never admit any of this elsewhere because my manhood is at stake. It's my secret un-settler, and I want to know what yours is!

Cockney Weasel

Sep 13, 2008
Ditto on The Grudge tbh. It's those unnaturally jerky motions and the death-rattle, something about them really freaks me out. Same reason I god freaked out by Sadako in Ring, it's the way she moves more than anything.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I haven't watched anything that has given me that type of feeling before.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
The Grudge is scary but movies are never that scary because you're just watching it, your not in it. The grudge my be scary but not nearly as bad as having some creepy substitute teacher staring over your shoulder at everything you do.

EDIT: Him reading this didn't help.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
I still have yet to got a set and watch "The 4th Kind" because the stuff spooks the bejesus out of me. I wish I was a ballsy child again.

Nevaehfo

May 12, 2010
I'm really not afraid of horror movies. I'm not sure why. But I stumbled upon a picture online that is the closest thing to terrifying me. Scared enough to scream if it appeared on my window at night. >_>

I found this picture on Cracked one day

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
There's a book known as Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, and my school library (mind you, Elementary school) had it on display. Naturally, I'm a lover of all things horror, so I gave it a look.

Long story short: DO NOT LET YOUR CHILDREN SEE THIS BOOK.
The stories are pretty decent on their own, but what will kill you will be the illustrations. These are, bar none, the most disturbing and/or disgusting pictures I've ever seen in a book, which is coupled by the washed, deteriorating theme they're going for.

Suffice to say, one story had an illustration so grotesque that it had forever burned into my mind. Regardless of your age or maturity, it will terrify you.
Google it if you want, I'll just say this: It's called The Thing.
You have been warned.

Mogsworth

Nov 24, 2008
I actually attempt to find anything that will terrify me, just because it seems to be easier to elicit an emotional response when creating a piece of horror.

First, one thing that has permanently left an imprint on my mind is a painting by Goya: Saturn Devouring One of His Children [http://starr.pausd.org/~lgoldman/mmart3/class/16/saturn.gif]. It definitely is not something you'd first expect when looking in an art history textbook. It is definitely disturbing despite that fact, though.

Second, the first thing that ever made me genuinely terrified was Eraserhead. It was a combination of graphic, disturbing imagery and a confusing plotline. It just screams David Lynch, but it was the first horror film I saw as a kid, and it frightened me.

Third, H.P. Lovecraft works. As much as I love them, for awhile I just couldn't read them because they would TERRIFY me.

Nevaehfo

May 12, 2010
starfox444 said:
Hazy said:
Suffice to say, one story had an illustration so grotesque that it had forever burned into my mind. Google it if you want, I'll just say this: It's called The Thing.
I regret doing that.
I do as well. This picture was just terrifying.

:D

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Nivag the Owl said:
I'd never admit any of this elsewhere because my manhood is at stake. It's my secret un-settler, and I want to know what yours is!
Films don't bother me much. I hate stuff like Saw, but that's because the gore unsettles me rather than because I'm scared by it.

The idea of falling terrifies me. Genuinely terrifies me. As does being alone - a lot of people on the internet talk about the upcoming zombie apocalypse with great glee, and discuss their plans for it, but the very idea is enough to have me crapping my pants. If everyone I knew and loved was dead, if the only other survivors were insane or totally self-centred in their pursuit of food or water, if I had to hide every day from things that wanted to eat my face, I think I'd just curl into a ball and stay there until I died.

Yes, I do tend to overthink things. How did you know? ;-)

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Only movies to make me feel uncomfortable, for lack of a better word, were Lars von Trier's Antichrist and Odishon by Takashi Miike -- but that was just an awkward movie.

Also, I'd say Eraserhead but I've never had the patience to make it through the first 30 minutes sober.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Nevaehfo said:
I'm really not afraid of horror movies. I'm not sure why. But I stumbled upon a picture online that is the closest thing to terrifying me. Scared enough to scream if it appeared on my window at night. >_>

What the hell is that?

Nevaehfo

May 12, 2010
Megalodon said:
Nevaehfo said:

What the hell is that?
It's a photoshop that the people at Cracked found. It's freaky, right?

*shiver*

Mogsworth

Nov 24, 2008
mindlesspuppet said:
Only movies to make me feel uncomfortable, for lack of a better word, were Lars von Trier's Antichrist and Odishon by Takashi Miike -- but that was just an awkward movie.

Also, I'd say Eraserhead but I've never had the patience to make it through the first 30 minutes sober.
Antichrist was genuinely creepy, and I actually thought Audition was very well executed, with a deliberately slow pace to counteract the hellish nightmare of the last half hour. That film did make me cover my eyes the first time I watched it. As far as Eraserhead is concerned, eh, I guess I just am able to deal with slow paces.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Okay, let me think...alright, I've got it:

Lotus Breast (even knowing the turth about it doesn't help; it's fucking disgusting)
The Pain series (I'll just say its title is well-earned and note that it's not safe for anyone, anywhere, at any time)
The Grifter (No. I'm serious. Just...NO.)
And just about everything on this ED Creepypasta list (WARNING: Link goes to Enyclopedia Dramatica, NSFW as always).

Fortunately, most of the things taht scare me are of my own creation; such is a perk of being a horror author.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Mogsworth said:
As far as Eraserhead is concerned, eh, I guess I just am able to deal with slow paces.
Eraserhead takes slow pace to a different level, there's not even any dialog for like the first 10 and a half minutes.

As for Audition I completely agree, it was very well executed, and was meant to make the viewer feel awkward as it followed a socially inept man, didn't mean to imply it was a poorly constructed film or anything.

BluenetteDiviner

Mar 17, 2010
I must admit that yes, the Grudge unsettled me a little. But only on the first watch.

I haven't found anything else that actually scares me. :/ Which is a shame because I love being scared.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
I would have to say that the horror that gets the me most is the kind that could be real. Alien horror movies and supernatural slasher movies contain fake and over the top characters who are very fake. It allows the viewer to make a wall between them, allows them to feel safe. But then there are movies like SAW, which just feature wronged people who have decided to bring across a message in the most horrific way possible. It is those that I am terrified of the most, the ones in which you can see happening in real life.

Also, for a reference, I am not terrified of SAW because of the blood/gore, I am scared of the idea of a man trying to spread his view on life, but in the most terrifying of ways, which to me seems like something that could happen in real life.