Genuinely Terrified

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
One word: Batman. I watched the original Tim Burton movie, and the gas the Joker uses to make people die laughing genuinely terrified me as a ten-year-old boy.

Mogsworth

Nov 24, 2008
mindlesspuppet said:
Eraserhead takes slow pace to a different level, there's not even any dialog for like the first 10 and a half minutes.
I guess I don't see anything wrong with that, but then again, you don't necessarily need words to convey a feeling of unease. Then again, this comes from a composer who is making an entire group of works devoted to evoking different senses of terror.

Back on topic, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned video games. As far as creeping me out beyond belief, there's Yume Nikki and The Path. For genuinely scary games, Fatal Frame 2 and Silent Hill 2.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Mogsworth said:
Back on topic, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned video games. As far as creeping me out beyond belief, there's Yume Nikki and The Path. For genuinely scary games, Fatal Frame 2 and Silent Hill 2.
God yes, Fatal Frame 2 was amazing... the lady falling down the stairs... and the hanging dolls.. and the creepy kids...

Best survival horror franchise in my opinion, bar none.

manicgreenapple

May 19, 2010
Oh wow The Ring literally had me asking people to come with me when I needed to go to the bathroom. It was really bad, even when I watched it like 5 times already there were still some scenes I couldn't get through. The Grudge is a close second, specially that bit in the staircase/fire exit. FRIGGING CRAP the fire exit where I live looks exactly like that. Jeepers Creepers is a good one too, I kinda even liked the bat-thing that killed people.

Joshroom

Oct 27, 2009
I'm usually fine with most horror movies and slasher/sci fi horrors hold no fear for me. However, some of the more pyscological horrors really freak me out. Nastiest one recently was definetly Paranormal Activity. Couldn't sleep properly for days afterwards.

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
SlowShootinPete said:

This scared the hell out of me.
Mother of FUCK that was weird. I was about to come in here and say nothing really "terrified" me, but I was just proven horribly, horribly wrong. That was fucked up.

APLovecraft

Jan 13, 2010
i would have agreed with what you said about the grudge but i watched it like 20 times for a media project so i'm fairly de-sensitised to it now :)

stuff by HP Lovecraft freaks me out, the notion that there is something out there that is so incomprehensibly terrifying that the sight of it drives people mental o_O and it takes a very special mind to come up with things like this

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Uncompetative said:

Go on... Try watching that movie... On your own.
Then saying his name 5 times into a mirror...
Oh, snap! I remember that one...

Music fucked me up for life as a child. Little did I know that the man behind it was Phillip Glass himself.

Never really seen hooks the same way since then.

Video Gone

Feb 7, 2009
Serris said:
the only thing that can creep me out, are my own dark thoughts late at night.
Damn it, you've made me use this. I will never forgive your clan.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... haaaa... ha.
Because you said what you said, see? It's a joke.
Ha.
Sometimes, I think the internet is slowly poisoning my mind.
Actually, slowly is a strong word.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Cockney Weasel said:
Ditto on The Grudge tbh. It's those unnaturally jerky motions and the death-rattle, something about them really freaks me out. Same reason I god freaked out by Sadako in Ring, it's the way she moves more than anything.
You have no idea... o_O I've been having nightmares for years because of The Ring movies and The Grudge movies T_T

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
I'm one of those people who is not easily creeped out. However, I've been reading the book "Death Troopers", and MY GOD this book is high-octane-nightmare fuel. I can read Poe, with full illustrations, and actually giggle myself to sleep, but for some reason the way Schrieber describes some of the scenes...

There is a scene where a guy dreams about being stuck on the ship with all the zombies. He finds a map of the ship printed on his leg, and it actually describes him trying to dig through his own leg to get to the map as it fades through the layers....*shiver shiver*

BlazeTheVampire

May 14, 2008
Can't play any Fatal Frame game by myself, even with the lights on, to this day. Movies I'm fine with, for some reason. Actually being involved in the story like I am in Fatal Frame scares the piss out of me. I'm hesitant to try Alan Wake because of it, lol

ThatDudeThere

Feb 10, 2009
I had nightmares because of Uzumaki and The Enigma of Amigara Fault, both by Junji Ito, that creepy bastard. Read them here [http://www.onemanga.com/Uzumaki/1/02/] and here [http://brasscockroach.com/h4ll0w33n2007/manga/Amigara-Full/Amigara.html].

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Just watch this whole series at 3 in the morning, I couldn't sleep for the next 2 days...

It's kind of like The Blair Witch Project, except it doesn't suck...

8bitlove2a03

Mar 25, 2010
About a month ago, I was outright terrified for the first time in years. Why? Because I was in that half-asleep half-awake middle of the night state, and thought Grinning Man [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grinning_Man] was at the foot of my bed staring at me.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
I haven't watched enough horror to be honest. I'm looking forward to something which will make my skin crawl.