GeoHot Sounds Off on Sony's PSN Debacle

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Woodsey said:
Considering this has all happened so quickly, you can't help but link them all.

Even if he didn't do it, its his behaviour that has quite possibly led to this whole thing by someone else acting on his behalf in retaliation to Sony.

I'm tired of these fuck-faces and their stupid little crusades against companies just because they're big, and I'm even more tired of the people that voice their support for them.

And that smug little prick's face is even more unbearable than Kotick's grin.
Is it just me or do they intentionally choose pictures of him when he's at his most dickish looking?

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
Azure-Supernova said:
Is it just me or do they intentionally choose pictures of him when he's at his most dickish looking?
Is there even a pic of him where he's not looking like an ass?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Bags159 said:
Sony doesn't need to accept anything. It's their console, their rules. If they put in the TOS that they still technically own it and you sign it then it's theirs, unfortunately. I'm all for fighting little crusades but leave the people you're trying to "help" out of it. (to whomever is behind this)

Also, this geohotz guy is a little *****. Yes, Sony totally intentionally gave away all of your person information. Who does he think he is?
Terms of Service can be voided if they are found to be illegal/absurd/etc, regardless of you signing the "WE OWN YOUR SOUL" bit at the end, despite what they'd have you believe.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Braedan said:
I'm actually wondering here, did they use hacked PS3's to steal the info (might have missed that post.)? If not, I'm not sure why Geohot's input is relevant.
Veloxe said:
Braedan said:
I'm actually wondering here, did they use hacked PS3's to steal the info (might have missed that post.)? If not, I'm not sure why Geohot's input is relevant.
It isn't. Just someone who doesn't want to let their 15 minutes end and is desperately attempting to remain relevant.
What? What relevance does anyone in this thread have to the topic at hand? About as much as Geohot. Seriously, I'm not understanding either of you, because someone is internet famous they must be relevant to a topic to have an opinion and express it?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Azure-Supernova said:
Woodsey said:

Even if he didn't do it, its his behaviour that has quite possibly led to this whole thing by someone else acting on his behalf in retaliation to Sony.

I'm tired of these fuck-faces and their stupid little crusades against companies just because they're big, and I'm even more tired of the people that voice their support for them.

Have you seen the video its taken from? Believe me, he looks like a twat throughout.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
LiquidGrape said:
Look at how shoddily he's dressed that room.
No sense of taste at all.
The colors are certainly garish, but I appreciate the minimalistic aesthetic he's striving for. Some neutral, earthy tones would really help to make the place look less like a dentist's waiting room. I'm thinking beige/forest green for the walls, some dark stained wood trim/molding, and maybe a subdued but noticeable accents of bold color (I'd go with crimson) here and there. No matter how you cut it, though, sea foam green is really only a color for nurses' scrubs or bathrooms, and I'd feel queasy every moment I had to be surrounded by walls and carpet of that color.

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
God this guy's a douche...
you were using your PS3... TO PIRATE THINGS. YEAH, THAT'S KINDA ILLEGAL.
I can go out and buy a knife meant for cutting vegetables. But if I go and rob a bank with that knife, I'M IN THE WRONG.
How much of a lifeless neckbeard must you be to decide "eh, got nothing better to do with my life, guess I'll try and hack into a PS3 to prove a point or something..."
This guy violated the TOS, he hacked a PS3 so he could pirate things, he encouraged other douchey little hackers to fuck with Sony when he was feeling butthurt, and has the pure balls to think that he's in the right.
I believe it was Albert Einstein who once said, "God, what an asshole..."

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Bags159 said:
Sony doesn't need to accept anything. It's their console, their rules. If they put in the TOS that they still technically own it and you sign it then it's theirs, unfortunately. I'm all for fighting little crusades but leave the people you're trying to "help" out of it. (to whomever is behind this)

Also, this geohotz guy is a little *****. Yes, Sony totally intentionally gave away all of your person information. Who does he think he is?
See this has always been a problem of mine when people bring up the whole 'Sony own your console' thing. I don't believe they've ever stated that explicitly. They openly allow you to tamper with the hardware you purchased; the only price is that you void your warranty by doing so and fair enough, I agree with that. If they didn't want you fucking with their hardware they're make it impossible to get the thing open or even so much as change the hard drive.

However I don't disagree that they own the firmware; of course they do. But on that note people shouldn't be forced to use their PS3 with official firmware, providing of course that the custom firmware doesn't comprimise the security of the company. You can understand why they're so quick to bring the hammer down on people who do.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
THANK YOU for changing the GeoHotz picture.
Oh, and I'm sure that Sony wasn't protecting the
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109637-Sony-Assures-Credit-Card-Data-Was-Encrypted
don't know how to do the blue encrypted as the url
data, because had they done that, the results wouldn't be as good as they have been know (such as every user being a victim of identity theft, as opposed to know it being only a theoretical percentage, as far as I know), no, they just gave it away with a password of 4.
If they had that simple of a password, maybe GeoHotz could have hacked it.
And they don't trust the customer. They have lawyers for a reason, beyond just crushing you.
Irridium said:
Their password was "1, 2, 3, 4, 5".

Which, funnily enough, is the same password for my luggage.
I'm protected, since mine is twelve thousand, three hundred and forty-five
Wait...

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
HankMan said:
Awexsome said:
It's like the gun store owner who sold the gun to a serial killer with no background check is laughing at the police for not stopping a crime with that gun.
Hotz hacked the PS3 not PSN.
He's been spouting this nonsense since the news first broke. Don't waste your time trying to explain the obvious.

Xzi said:
Did you even read a damn thing in this article? Hotz said he had no idea how it would be possible to go about hacking the PSN. A local client hack and a database server hack couldn't be any more different. Even if the root key did make it easy for these hackers to do this job, that's again Sony's fault for believing that they were completely safe client-side. You always, always set up multiple layers of security. Especially when it's millions of peoples' personal and credit card information you're dealing with. It's like assigning one guy with a BB gun to guard fort Knox.

Sony's negligence was ultimately to blame here.
Thank you. The mere fact that Sony wasn't hashing user passwords should pretty much negate any confidence in their security systems.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Yes. Post online who you breached security and stole data from millions of people. Genius.

No, wait. Actually, DO do that. That's how Sony tracked down this ass hole, so hopefully they'll be able to track down the hacker(s) that broke the PSN.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
MasterSaji said:
Azure-Supernova said:
Is there even a pic of him where he's not looking like an ass?
Not that I've seen. His coolest pic, one with him actually outside (I think) still makes him look like a giant tool.

Annulus

Feb 17, 2010
Bags159 said:

You, like sony, Just Don't Get It.

Legally, the console may still somehow be the property of Sony (though I'd like to see that one fly in court), however, the physical system and its software are in the hands of the consumer, which is inevitably going to be a hacker at some point.

Thus from a security point of view, does the console belong to the hacker. To see it otherwise, as Sony seems to, and then to act accordingly, is, as hotz puts it, "insane".

Take it from him; he is a hacker.

As for "giving away" personal information, I know I'd be mad at the bank if they set their vault code to be 12345.

Dec 27, 2010
Can we just get this out of the way by trying to make a statement that pleases everyone? Okay so I'll attempt it first:
Sony is not the devil for letting this happen. They didnt do it themselves, they didnt let it happen intentionally, they arent complete retards as I'm sure that their security was at least serviceable, although obviously not serviceable enough. Their security should have been a lot stronger especially in the face of Anonymous' threats, and even earlier whenever it was proven by Hotz (I refuse to call him GeoHot) that their fortress was not impenetrable. However the lawsuits are ridiculous, when you put information on the internet there's always the risk of it being stolen. Also Sony should have released the information on the security breach way earlier, God knows the risks they caused by holding on to it for even a those few days. Let us not forget though, the dick(s) who stole the information in the first place. He(they) isnt a hero(es), he(they) isnt standing up for anyone's rights, he's(they are) just some sad douche(s) who's skilled at hacking. One last thing; X-box fanboys, Nintendo fanboys and self proclaimed PC gamers, this does not mean that your respective gaming platform is better than the PS3, so please stop gloating on threads related to this subject about how PS3 sucks, X-box/ Wii/ PC rulez or how we should convert as though owning a console or computer is the same as being in a religion.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
xXDeMoNiCXx said:
Woodsey said:

And yet you still insist on posting everywhere those things are shown.
Yeah, so?

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Ironic Pirate said:
Braedan said:
Veloxe said:
Braedan said:
It isn't. Just someone who doesn't want to let their 15 minutes end and is desperately attempting to remain relevant.
What? What relevance does anyone in this thread have to the topic at hand? About as much as Geohot. Seriously, I'm not understanding either of you, because someone is internet famous they must be relevant to a topic to have an opinion and express it?

Besides not understanding how a comment system works, I think you missed the point. The point was that you don't write a news post when my neighbour has an opinion on the PSN network. Geohot is free to have an opinion, I'm just not sure why the Escapist is paying attention to it.

DragonChi

Nov 1, 2008
Irridium said:
Their password was "1, 2, 3, 4, 5".

Which, funnily enough, is the same password for my luggage.
LOL, love it...love it *thumbs up*. Spaceballs kicks ass.