George Lucas Says He Sold Star Wars to "White Slavers" - Update

Nov 28, 2007
sheppie said:
I can understand Lucas here. If I spent years making something which is good, and then Disney then hired JJ Abrams to rape it, shit on it and then dance on its grave, I'd be angry too, no matter how much money they paid me.

Although I imagine Uwe Boll is happy at no longer being the shittiest director in the industry.
Really? I can understand not enjoying the new Star Wars movie, to an extent, and I understand that quality is subjective...but you really think TFA is a worse movie than House of the Dead or Alone in the Dark?

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
I dunno, from what I hear, 'White Slavery' is a pretty good description of working for Disney.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
You know, Disney wouldn't have had to bring the franchise back from the dead with a tried-and-true formula if Lucas hadn't have done his best to kill the damn thing. Imagine if Lucas had done all the right things on the prequels, like hiring amazing dialogue-writers and dedicated script editors and maybe not have staffed his QA department with a bunch of "yes men" and using a director who actually wanted to film on actual sets. Essentially, imagine if the prequels were *good*. Disney would be free to take more risks because:

A: The survival of the series wouldn't hinge on this one movie being even decent.
and
B: The series would be known for being successful at trying new things.

But because Lucas, who is complaining that Disney played it safe, screwed the pooch three times in a row, Disney had to play it safe and will now continue to play it safe. Because while I do not doubt that Disney can make good movies, I very much doubt that they can learn the right lesson about anything. Ever.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Hmm, I wonder if his updated comment was due to their wild success to the point of already exceeding the box office of his last two star wars films combined? Some humility or acceptance that maybe he's wrong would be wonderful, even to the point of getting him back into a healthy state of being able to direct good films again.

Likelihood of that being the case? Very little.

Probable true case? Desire to continue business with people he called "white slavers"...