George R.R. Martin Dislikes Fans Questioning His Health

Esmeralda Portillo

Jun 16, 2014
George R.R. Martin Dislikes Fans Questioning His Health

A Song of Ice and Fire author George R.R. Martin says "fuck you" to fans who speculate he'll die before finishing the series.

George R. R. Martin has some choice words for fans who question his health stability.

In an interview with Swiss newspaper Tagesanzeiger, when Martin was asked about how people are worried he might not be around to finish his famous series A Song of Ice and Fire, he states he finds that question very offensive when people start speculating his death.

Cue a middle finger, "Fuck you to those people," then some cute laughter.

Martin wrote the first book A Game of Thrones in 1996 and the latest book A Dance of Dragons was published back in 2011. Martin is currently working on The Winds of Winter to then move onto the last book in the series A Dream of Spring thereafter.

Source: The Verge [http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/9/5883983/george-r-r-martin-says-fuck-you-to-people-questioning-his-health]

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Well.....why the fuck is it anyones fucking bizz ? And he knows its not that they give a crap about him its just they want the books to be finished before or if his health kills him. Fuck them. You go R R MARTIN lol

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
He's old, he can do and say what he wants. I'm honestly surprised he gives a damn about the people hounding him about his health. Still, good on him to give them the finger XD

Eirreann

Still only counts as one.
Aug 17, 2013
Awkward... a friend and I were just talking about this.... well, at least my friend suggested it, not me, so I feel a bit better that *I* wasn't given the hearty middle finger from dear Mr. Martin.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
If you don't want fans questioning whether you die or not, you shouldn't be the author of a series that's KNOWN for killing its characters

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
You kind of walk into this when you start with a trilogy, drag it out to 7 books(2 of which aren't finished yet), speculate it may be 8 books to finish and the length of time for each book to come out has gotten longer with each book.

So don't be suprised when people wonder if you're going to live to finish the series.

OTOH, you could stop padding the story and get on with it.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
He's only 65, and doesn't seem to be in bad health[footnote]He may be a bit... ample, but that's not an automatic health concern. In fact some evidence suggests being somewhat overweight in old age might cause people to live longer, though it's hardly proven.[/footnote]. Why are people talking about him like he's on his deathbed? Perhaps when he's Christopher Lee's age I'll start to to worry about his looming mortality.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I honestly couldn't care any less if there's an end to te series or not (I don't care about reading them at all though) but the moment when those retarded few start making themselves visible is the points when things go wrong.

If the guy just willing leaves the story unfinished on purpose I'd really get a laugh out of it, since those throwing shit at the guy would get completely pissed and others would just move on.

Dr. Crawver said:
Is he turning into the new Gabe? I can see this happening.
Now I sort of want the "These things, they take time" picture of him but hitting a burning book with a hammer.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
Well, are we surprised? If you speculated when I'd die I wouldn't be too pleased about it. Let's just all hope he lives well past a song of ice & fire's conclusion. Long live the GRRM!

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Totally understandable, it is kind of offensive when fans of the books say stuff like "I hope he finishes the books before he eats himself to death". Plus his health is his own business, its a private matter in the first place and he knows himself he is ageing and overweight. He is aware of the implications of that and having people constantly speculating and reminding him of it must be hurtful at times, so yeah I can understand his "fuck you" attitude.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was genuine concern for the man himself, there are people that have acted like that but most people just want the books and comment on his speculated health without thought for the man himself.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
It'd be a good slow burn for his rabid legion of fanboys if an old fat man nearing his 70's did die before he finishes his series which requires what, another 12-14 years to write going by his current schedule? Keep pretending you can wait a decade for more story told at a snail's pace

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
I wish impatient nerds can stop and understand that people like Martin (and Stan Lee) are immortal wizards powered by infinite magic and wisdom.
So there's no need to worry about our sage like deities going anywhere for another 4+ centuries.

Joking aside, much respect Mr. Martin. Much respect.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
I normally hate it when people force memes. But I have to say that picture is absolutely meme worthy.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I'm surprised he didn't aim the other middle finger at the TV execs that want to milk out more Game of Thrones seasons from his last 2 books. They're the ones who are really sweating if Martin so much as has a minor cold.