George Romero On Left 4 Dead 2

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Janus Vesta said:
Romero's zombies are too slow. I never understood how you can fear a threat that you can just walk away from.
That is precisely what makes zombies scary, actually. The shambling hoard ought to be readily dispatched by humanity yet in each and every zombie film the defenses are inevitably overwhelmed. The problem is that, very generally at least, when the chips are down people cease being rational beings and resort to an every man for himself mentality.

Moreover, the slow moving zombie allows one to build tension even when the monster is present. When enough of the shambling corpses are assembled in an area, suddenly it matters little if they can run or not. By virtue of their numbers they can block escape routes. They can lay seige indefinately. They become an ever present threat that hangs over the heads of the survivors. The defense is hopeless, escape a longshot at best. It is this aspect that is most commonly explored in zombie films; what do people in a hopeless situation staring in the face of a slow but inevitable apocolypse resort to? How far will they go to preserve their own life? How much do they value those around them?

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
You know what, stop getting film makers and critics to review video games when they don't even play it.

Yes, watching someone play a video game makes no sense, and that's because video games just don't work the same way as films do....ughh!

I have a headache....-_-

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
sephiroth1991 said:
George Romero arguable the farther of the zombie genre, G4TV interview him about his latest film and is asked about his opinion on left 4 Dead 2 and games. "It's so fast," Romero said. "You know, it's all splatter. There's no humor to it. I mean, you're really fighting... every split second, one of them is in your face." He goes on to say "I'd love to talk to a gaming company about it. Is there any way to slow this up and still make it cool for the fans who like to play these things? If you could slow it up and have a little more story and a little more humor and clever ways to kill. Could you do a different kind of strategy play?"

Would you like to see a zombie game with slow zombies multiple options for the player, the ability to pick up anything and use it as a weapon to maim and mutilate the undead, a pick and choose method of survival with unlimited killing possibilities?

I know Dead Rising has this kinda going on but what type options would you like?

Sorry No Youtube link.
Link:http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/704904/george-romero-on-left-4-dead-2-zombies-and-survival-of-the-dead.html
I smell a L4D2 mutation in the works.

SaunaKalja

Sep 18, 2009
They Hunger: Lost Souls [http://www.blackwidowgames.com/] looked pretty cool back in the day. Too bad it just died, propably in its sleep since there hasn't been any kind of cancellation announcement as far as I know.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
As a first-person shooter I don't think slow zombies, on their own, really work. They're not a threat unless you have extremely limited ammunition or are otherwise too occupied to mow them down. Fast zombies can be plenty unsettling, mainly dependent upon their surroundings to produce the appropriate effect. This is why L4D2's atmosphere is considerably less suspenseful than L4D's in many respects: the scenes tend to be better-lit (daylight vs. night) and...well, more comical in some respects. The carnival is the obvious example of that, of course.

The fear zombies inspire comes from the shock/horror of being undead and all that, yeah? But as gamers...we've seen worse. We're sorta used to that, I think. It'd take something more than just "But they're undead!" to produce the desired effect. Personally I find the idea of zombies that can actually chase me and, even worse, work in packs exponentially more disturbing than barely-animated corpses.

Oh, in reality even the slow-moving zombies would be terrifying, no doubt, but I'd be much too concerned by the sprinters rushing at me covered in blood to even notice their slow-moving friends shuffling up the driveway in the background.

Priorities.

All that said, he's got the right idea in referencing a "different kind of strategy." Like I said, the issue with slow zombies in the L4D context is they aren't a threat given your equipment and abilities in that game. If the issue of ammunition were made more important you'd have to be more frugal in your shot choices. This makes the vast numbers of the horde more of an issue given you don't really want to spend much time up close and personal with them if possible. You'd have to weaken melee weapons a bit as well, most likely, though I'm not sure how to do it best. Limiting the number of zombies you can kill in one swing to two or three, perhaps, instead of basically "everything directly in front of you?" You need to make them more durable to make up for their lack of speed.

Additionally they need to be more dangerous if they ever DO reach you. In L4D we're told the survivors are immune to infection; this immediately removes the usual "bite" attached to zombies. We're used to knowing that if a zombie gets its teeth in you, that's it, you're done, end of story. Maybe it'll take you a few minutes to a few hours to turn but it's a foregone conclusion: you are a zombie-in-waiting. The L4D games (I don't know Dead Rising, never played it) lack this sense of danger - the main threat is from the special infected against which you cannot defend yourself if caught instead. Perhaps if attacks by the infected lowered your resistance in addition to doing damage there'd be a more urgent need to find booster shots in addition to medkits and the like. It would only take one bite to start the countdown of infection, a countdown that drops faster the more hits you take and requires one of those shots to get boosted back up (or perhaps simply stopped at whatever value it reached while falling on the higher difficulty levels - no recovery, only a return to stalled infection state).

As for comedy...eh. I think the interplay between characters is all the comedy that's really needed to break up the dread now and then. Adding silly props and the like just seems like too much, but then I'm not much for slapstick in action games, I guess.

May 28, 2009
SextusMaximus said:
Dead Rising - Slow zombies.
Left 4 Dead - Fast zombies.

Simple. Play whichever one you feel like.
summed up what I was gonna say right there, you ninja.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
SextusMaximus said:

Bwahaha!

Shame there isn't a game that encompasses both though. Fast and slow zombies.

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
You can't change L4D into a slow-zombie type game where encroaching dread is the key atmospheric tool. L4D is centred around fast zombies, making it from point A to point B, and as such has all its gameplay mechanics based around these concepts. To turn it into a slow-zombie, survival, story-driven game, you'd have to change so much of the core game you'd be practically making a new game.

ClunkiestTurtle

Feb 19, 2010
This is exactly the thing the i don't like about L4D2.

In the first one you could go through entire buildings, minutes without seeing a single zombie. You would hear weird noises, maybe see a pile of dead bodies or blood on the walls and while personally i didn't find it scary it had atmosphere, you were wondering when the next horde was going to come you would enter every room prepared to fight but a lot of the time there wouldnt be anything there and when you heard the horde trumpet you would be like "oh shit".

But in L4D2 its just one long constant horde and you ride a wave of zombies from start to finish and the horde trumpet acts like its pretty much the games soundtrack, no atmosphere, no surprises. You expect a horde around every corner and a load of zombies in every room. Its still good and fun and all but it just doesn't have the atmosphere and i think Valve should take his advice on the next one.

May 28, 2009
SextusMaximus said:
SextusMaximus said:

Bwahaha!

tis a good idea, my friend actually has half a script written for for a zombie film like that. He wrote it drunk and it's surprisingly readable :D

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
SextusMaximus said:
SextusMaximus said:

Bwahaha!

tis a good idea, my friend actually has half a script written for for a zombie film like that. He wrote it drunk and it's surprisingly readable :D
I may create a game or machinima based on something like this :I

Frequen-Z

Resident Batman fanatic.
Apr 22, 2009
I'm inclined to agree with Romero on this one. It's the same reason I don't play Scout on TF2. I can't aim for shit moving as such ridiculous speeds.

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
It would be cool if they made a game where two or more groups of humans were fighting over the resources on a zombie infested map. Or make it a single group of humans where everyone has their own motives and they are scored as individuals rather then as a group making it a semi Co-op game. So that you can either cooperate (score less points and most likely kick the zombies' ass) or backstab/steal from your "friends" (score more points but risk getting eaten by a zombie).

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
After watching has last couple movies I think he would really dig Dead Rising. Being able t okill zombies in all those weird and wacky ways just like he did in his movies.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
I just fell a little more in love with Mr.Romero.

Seriously though, I mean, who doesen't want a game like that?

Kamaitachi

Dec 17, 2009
Janus Vesta said:
Romero's zombies are too slow. I never understood how you can fear a threat that you can just walk away from.
Because after a while there is so many that you can't walk from them without bumping into another, the scary thing about Romero zombies is that whilst they may be slow, they're nearly unstoppable and also: Freaking scary.

Argtee

Oct 31, 2009
I've got to say, I enjoyed Dead Rising more than I did Left 4 Dead.
[sub](I've only played the first Left 4 Dead)[/sub]

I liked being in a mall with thousands of slow zombies than I did being in a hospital or boat house (and all the other levels in Left 4 Dead) with a bunch of fast zombies.
Fast zombies can be scarier than slow zombies, but I like the slow zombies more.
[sub]Also: I LOVE George Romero's zombie movies. Especially Day of the Dead.[/sub]