German Consumer Group Threatens Legal Action Against Blizzard

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
The thing we have to remember is that there are a lot more consumers out there than just "us." Somebody's mom is shopping for her 17-year-old kid's birthday, sees D3 on the shelf and remembers him saying something about how cool it is isn't going to have any idea about this always-on business. Maybe she reads the back and maybe she doesn't, maybe she parses "persistent connection required" and maybe she doesn't, maybe the guy at the counter tells her about it and maybe he doesn't. That's exactly the sort of thing consumer protection laws are put into place to guard against.

Sometimes it goes too far, and maybe this has, I don't know the details. But laws like this are about more than protecting the stupid from themselves, and if we start making room for exceptions because, hey, this is obvious and you should have known, we're invalidating the entire system, good and bad.
Indeed.
I would like to add that it's not just Mom's as people are tending to say. I know a lot of (what I guess people on here would call) "casual gamers".
Roughly all in their mid 20's to 30's. They aren't casual gamers from the standpoint that they play Zynga games or something of that ilk, but from the fact that they work and don't have the time or inclination to be "deep" in to the gaming scene. They tend to enjoy more "mature" titles and AAA games over titles such as angry birds, but I guess they would still be called casual gamers because they only devote time to the actual games and not to the games background. They are pretty uninformed when it comes to any details or stories about the games.
They will known about bigger titles such as D3, ME3 and Max Payne 3, but not about the drama behind the titles.
I'm usually the one to bring it up and they'll be surprised.
They might go to a store, see a game and decide to pick it up.