German/Japanese WW2 game

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
SacremPyrobolum said:
Wouldnt it be interesting for you to be the one mowing down the Americans durring Dday instead of the other way around?
why not mow down us British. We're less likely to complain

Kachiporra

Oct 19, 2010
A game were you get to play as a nazi killing Yankes?
That game will never happen, to much controversy.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
I always felt that a game where you play as a 13-year-old Hitler youth drafted in the final months of the war to fight a losing battle could have some artistic merit.

Not gonna happen though, neither German nor Japanese developers are too eager to portray their country as the heroes of that time (which you, accoring to the mainstream media, do when you make the protagonist German/Japanese/Austrian/Italian/Bulgarian/whatever).
For the same reasons developers seated in other countries won't do it, besides the fact that a game always sells better when it's told from the side you sell it to.

Nexus4

Jul 13, 2010
I reckon it would work if you played as a German or Japanese soldier, not a Nazi or military fanatic. People seem to disregard the idea that a majority of the axis soldiers were just following orders in dedication to their country. What would be interesting is if you play as a conscript in the IJA, someone who was forced out of farm life, handed a rifle and basically hurled at the enemy. Got a good setup to show the human side of the Imperial Japanese Army. For Germans you could probably do the idealistic youth turned bitter soldier who knows the atrocities are wrong, but will keep fighting to protect his homeland. ALA "All Quiet on the Western Front" (except in WW2).

Maxi96203

Dec 23, 2010
Wouldn't that be a bit . . controversial? Also, An American company wouldn't know anything about the axis side of the war.

AlexLoxate

Sep 3, 2010
Making a game like that would be truly great for two reasons:

1. It would inject some variety into WW2 shooters
2. It would serve as a sort of documentary

It's should not be about politics, but rather more like a point of view of an Axis solider. Most of them simply believed that that is the right way to live and wage war. Who's to say how will history view today's events.

Of course, for this to work the industry would really need to support a project like this.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Also another point in favor of playing as the Axis: The Russians killed more of their own people than Hitler killed in the holocaust and yet nobody objects to playing as the Russians.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
Should be easy to do, but I guess they figure most American's wouldn't be interested if it didn't have Americans in it, as everyone knows that WW2 began in 1941, and all fighting took place between competent Americans and a bunch of layabout Europeans smoking cigarettes and drinking wine comparing mustaches against Germans who couldn't shoot straight unless to create a more dramatic scene or Japanese tourists in the Philippines that just happened to be carrying samurai swords and Arisaka rifles.

Hell, it's not like you would even have to kill Americans. Who do people think the Japanese fought when they invaded China? or the Germans invaded Greece or Poland?

Reg5879

Jan 8, 2009
I would like to see a game where you play as the Axis Forces, but it will never happen so why discuss it?

Hucket

Apr 29, 2010
Ordinaryundone said:
Hucket said:
Off-topic a little: The dropping of nuclear bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima was not needed to stop the war quickly. The German's surrendered which meant the redeployment of American and Biritsh Soliders to the Eastern Front. AS well, Russia had launch massive attacks on Japanese-help territory in the East, removing their last hope of victory through Moscow's mediation. All these things combined with the already ferice conventional bomb and sea blockade would have ended the war just as quickly and without the unesscesary loss of life.
I take it you haven't read much about Operation: Downfall, the projected plan to invade Japan without taking an Atomic Bomb into consideration. I'll like you to it:

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/operation_downfall.htm

Projected casualties were massive, with American casualties being between 1.5 and 4 million, and Japanese as high as 10 million. And this was taking into consideration everything you mentioned: Full Naval blockade, air support, you name it. The brutal fighting encountered on the islands in the Pacific were a perfect indicator of how an invasion of mainland Japan would be. Long, slow, and extremely costly. The Japanese had already demonstrated their fanaticism time and time again, along with a complete unwillingness to surrender.

If anything, the A-bombs were a prudent first measure, as we would have been unable to ignore strong population centers like Hiroshima and Nagasaki anyway, and a land assault would have been even more costly for both sides in both. The 200,000 killed by the A-bombs in no way compare to the millions that would have died.
No where did I say there was need of an invasion either. If you read the link you posted the Navy was just as certian that the conventional bombing bolstering the sea blockage would be sufficent. it was the Army that wanted to invade. And of course American`s being the agressive force they are agreed with the invasion plan

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Hucket said:
No where did I say there was need of an invasion either. If you read the link you posted the Navy was just as certian that the conventional bombing bolstering the sea blockage would be sufficent. it was the Army that wanted to invade. And of course American`s being the agressive force they are agreed with the invasion plan
Still doesn't change the fact that a massive sea bombardment targeted at Japan's industrial and population centers would have caused more casualties than dropping the A-Bombs. The bombs didn't end the war by killing people, 200,000 is really a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things. Its that we had the CAPABILITY, and the willingness, to snuff out entire cities without giving the Japanese any chance to fight back that caused them to back down.

Conventional artillery would not have had the same effect. Those weapons had proven ineffective at shaking Japanese morale in the past, and it was a safe assumption that they'd prove even LESS effective when the Japanese were faced with defending their homeland. Remember the kamakazis? The whole country would have been like that.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Guys, there's TONS of games that allow players to fight for the Axis. Silent Hunter 3, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, Aces Over Europe, Aces Over the Pacific, Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, Battlefield 1942, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Day of Defeat...that's just naming a few off the top of my head.

Maxi96203

Dec 23, 2010
Midnight Crossroads said:
Should be easy to do, but I guess they figure most American's wouldn't be interested if it didn't have Americans in it, as everyone knows that WW2 began in 1941, and all fighting took place between competent Americans and a bunch of layabout Europeans smoking cigarettes and drinking wine comparing mustaches against Germans who couldn't shoot straight unless to create a more dramatic scene or Japanese tourists in the Philippines that just happened to be carrying samurai swords and Arisaka rifles.

Hell, it's not like you would even have to kill Americans. Who do people think the Japanese fought when they invaded China? or the Germans invaded Greece or Poland?
WW2 started in 1939.

FernandoV

Dec 12, 2010
I'd play it if they developed characters and conveyed emotions of regret and impending doom in a way that I cared for the characters I met along the way. I'd appreciate no "hardass" commander who I am supposed to care about because he's my war mate or some young guy who dies and I'm supposed to feel bad for because he's young.

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
Two words: media backlash.

Touchy media watchdogs smell enough blood around games in which you help Americans survive. They'd fucking lunge on a game where you get to kill Americans as Nazis.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I always wanted - and never will recieve - a game where you could do all that. I'm so bored of playing Americans, British or Russian soldiers on the same battles facing the same enemies.

But why will I never get one? Remember when Medal of Honor was released a few months back - everyone was for it until they announced you could play as the Taliban in multiplayer and could kill Americans. Everyone flipped out and started banning the game.

Who's to say this won't happen again?

lightningmagurn

Nov 15, 2009
Jeffrey Ross said:
Jackpot524 said:
You mean play a Campaign that you are eventually destined to lose? I don't see any sense of accomplishment being gained there...
They didn't lose, they just got bored.
There is no truth in that statement. Germany was pounded into ruin by The Soviets, while America and England ate away at it's resources. America literally vaporised, burned or irradiated between 150,000 and 246,000 depending on who you ask. Incase that didn't work we had the worlds biggest invasion force ever on speed dial. The lost. All major axis cities were turned to rubble and ash.

That is not getting bored. That is loosing. They had nothing left to give. They lost in every concievable way.