German "Killer Game" Culling Fails to Set the World on Fire

captain awesome 12

Dec 28, 2008
Slayer_2 said:
You know what I would have done if I lived in Germany? Gotten some friends, my van, some chairs an Xbox, some very violent games and a crappy TV. Then I'd go down to their "protest" and play some Gears of War, Rainbow 6 and such. Give them some entertainment while no-one throws away their games that they payed good money for.
I'd go with you, and bring a few World War 2 shooters along. ;P

Seriously though, the last time the Germans allowed a small group of people to put all the blame on a single thing, they ended up starting a world war and exterminated 11 million people. I'm glad the country has made such significant strides in not jumping on the bandwagon.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Octorok said:
Jesus Christ guys... I do see the funny side, but this isn't some fantacial politician or a crazy homeless guy. These are the families of a tragic event who were misguided by an incredibly biased media and government, who genuinely think that the youth of today is up to no good. Really? I mean... really? The German youth of today are the direct descendants of the German youth of yesterday, and we all know what the German youth got up to in their spare time and favourite uniforms.
Considering dates, the German youth of today are the direct descendants of the day before yesterday, if not the day before that. If you're referencing the Hitler Youth, anyway.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
The shooting was a tragedy, but I can't say I'm surprised that this sort of thing was met with such indifference. Games can't really be held accountable for something like that, can they?

Nethlem

Dec 29, 2009
Octorok said:
Jesus Christ guys... I do see the funny side, but this isn't some fantacial politician or a crazy homeless guy. These are the families of a tragic event who were misguided by an incredibly biased media and government, who genuinely think that the youth of today is up to no good. Really? I mean... really? The German youth of today are the direct descendants of the German youth of yesterday, and we all know what the German youth got up to in their spare time and favourite uniforms.
Sorry but you are wrong, this isn't some kind of spontanous knee-jerk reaction by a group of people in grief. It's an organized group of people who had months to grief by now.

It's not some "fanatical politican" but it's an "fanatical" parent who lost his child. The head guy of these people Hardy Schober has lost his child too in the school shooting. He created this group and closed down his old company (that didn't go too well anyway) and now plans to live off the money the group gets trough donations. A few other parents of killed children allready left this group because they don't approve how he handles the situation.

And as a german 26 year old i'm not gonna comment on your "oh they where once nazis you know? they must be bad somehow" part... That's like saying all americans are evil because they killed most of the native residents of their country "a few generations ago".

I feel for the hosts. It's not their fault they were told about violent games (read not any other form of media or stimulation including the fucking killer going to a gun range and owning lots of guns ) by a scapegoating media who have taken an outrageous step into ludicrousness ever since they started calling these violent games "killer" games, as if the games themselves creep out at night and strangle adorable homeless orphans.
While the media plays it's role too, they can't claim to "not know it better". We (as in "the german gamers) tried a rational discussion with these people serveral times. But most of the time we get just ignored or if they answer they didn't read/listen/understand what we told them.

Even at said event gamers talked to these people, email adresses where exchanged in hopes to get a discussion going. Hardy Schober even claimed at the end (when it had been pretty clear that the whole event failed) that they knew from the beginning that not many people would throw their games in. They just wanted to start a "dialog" with the gamers trough this event... that's what they claimed...

The situation now, a few months later? Nothing, they still don't answer emails, they still go around telling people the same lies, they still want a total ban on any games that include violence against humans or human-like enemies.

So please don't try to make it look like they don't know it better because nobody told them. Enough people tried to tell them, often enough they said they want an dialog and often enough this dialog ended one-sided because they didn't listen/answer to the gamers.

At this point i think Hardy Schober is only in it for the money, but to get many donations he needs publicity and you get the most publicity by saying stupid stuff to many people...