German Official Expresses Xbox One Privacy Concerns

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
I already had no intention of buying the new Xbox based on the fact I have a competent PC already, but now it seems like Microsoft is reaching out and purposely giving me reasons not to buy the thing. Screaming at my TV? Flailing around to navigate basic menus? No game sharing?
They are trying with ALL their might to make me not only ignore this, but laugh at people who buy it.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
themilo504 said:
Why the hell is Microsoft so vague about everything? Haven?t they realized that that?s the stupidest thing to do.
Because they can't just lie to the public and the truth is too ugly.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Neronium said:
SkarKrow said:
tmande2nd said:
snip
Silly fools, why use those when you can use this!

Albeit you need a Norse god or an alien to wield it, but once that sucker is off, it is off for good!

OT: The EU really should just install a revolving door when it comes to MS because they always make these global decisions and somehow forget that Europe exists.
You spoony bard, that's not a hammer for killing xboxes, that's a hammer for killing Jörmungandr and frost giants!!

Yeah Micrsoft does that, and forgets it has laws to follow here, then wonders why it ends up being fined billions every now and then for gross violations of those laws.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Microsoft should really know better by now.
How often have IT companies and especially Microsoft been slapped on their fingers by Germany and the EU?
Their whole design for the Xbone is only focused on the US. It is like they didn't even consider other countries in the design process. I'm not even talking about countries or regions with bad internet. I'm talking about the TV features that most likely won't work and when, only very badly, as well as legal questions connected to perma-Kinect and impossible resale of games etc.

I'm expecting them to get a giant slap in the face for that one.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Matthi205 said:
SkarKrow said:
OT: Totally called the Germans being displeased. That said the thing doesn't have any features outside of the US, so nobody will buy it anyway. As for the privacy issues, thats part of why i wont be buying it.
Germany is more of a Playstation country anyway. Aren't that many people who even have XBoxes (or non-banned ones for that matter).

I knew this was going to happen sooner or later, I just didn't expect it to come BEFORE release. Let's see how soon this gets fought over in court.

I've got 2 things to say about the "MS is a big company, they've got nigh-endless funds and can't be beat in court" argument:
A) German law is an incredibly complicated jungle. MS being a US-based company, they'll also find the many laws protecting privacy to be an obstacle in this case (privacy is a basic human right pretected by the german constitution).
B) MS has already been beat in European courts. On top of that, some parts of the EU's government are onto devices with an "expiration date", so MS'll have to fight that, too.

EDIT:fixed the typos.

Oskuro: it isn't ironical, really. German politics as they are now have the sole orientation to be as little like the ones from during and before WWII, because of which we have this orientation.
From what I understand Europe in general is a PlayStation kind of place, and the 360 is only more popular in the UK because of.. i don't really know actually... the steady downfall of any kind of structured and intellectual society? I mean I live in a place where people think Queen copied Justin Beiber so I'll just say it's because everyone is a fucking moron.

I'm also well aware of those things, or were those not directed at me? Microsoft still has sizable fees to be paying for it's browser monopoly bullshit.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
This is why I'll strongly recommend Xbone users spend a significant amount of time doing ridiculously gross things in front of the console. I want whoever is on the end to feel as uncomfortable about watching us as we feel about them watching us.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Well perhaps MS's CEO is secretly a Frost Giant. I mean you never know, or perhaps they have the Jörmungandr locked in their basements and the Xbone's Kinect will release the monster into the homes of many.
Also, if I ever heard people say that Queen copied Bieber I would slap them upside the head no matter what their age was (okay I wouldn't slap little kids, but you get my point)! That's just...just dirty and disrespects Queen!

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
If for some reason I end up with one of these, I would just cover it ... like cover the front in tape, put a teeny box over it, make it face the ground, wrap a towel round it ... something!

Just feel awkward having this eye watching you, even PS eye or webcam I turn it to face a wall, unplug it or something just to not have this all seeing eye looking at me ... I feel like I'm Truman on that show of his.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
SkarKrow said:
Matthi205 said:
SkarKrow said:
OT: Totally called the Germans being displeased. That said the thing doesn't have any features outside of the US, so nobody will buy it anyway. As for the privacy issues, thats part of why i wont be buying it.
Germany is more of a Playstation country anyway. Aren't that many people who even have XBoxes (or non-banned ones for that matter).

I knew this was going to happen sooner or later, I just didn't expect it to come BEFORE release. Let's see how soon this gets fought over in court.

I've got 2 things to say about the "MS is a big company, they've got nigh-endless funds and can't be beat in court" argument:
A) German law is an incredibly complicated jungle. MS being a US-based company, they'll also find the many laws protecting privacy to be an obstacle in this case (privacy is a basic human right pretected by the german constitution).
B) MS has already been beat in European courts. On top of that, some parts of the EU's government are onto devices with an "expiration date", so MS'll have to fight that, too.

Oskuro: it isn't ironical, really. German politics as they are now have the sole orientation to be as little like the ones from during and before WWII, because of which we have this orientation.
From what I understand Europe in general is a PlayStation kind of place, and the 360 is only more popular in the UK because of.. i don't really know actually... the steady downfall of any kind of structured and intellectual society? I mean I live in a place where people think Queen copied Justin Beiber so I'll just say it's because everyone is a fucking moron.

I'm also well aware of those things, or were those not directed at me? Microsoft still has sizable fees to be paying for it's browser monopoly bullshit.
OK, that thing with Queen an Justin Bieber is starting to make me lose faith in humanity.

They weren't directed at you, they were there just to provide perspective to others.
I thought that the Browser Monopoly thing was over years ago? Figures.

[OT]Why does Windows still get bundled with IE? That browser is nowhere near being easy or convenient to use, and is the single most security-issue ridden thing on the entire PC, leaving behind Windows itself in some cases. I've used nearly every single browser in existence[footnote]IE6,7,8,9,10; Iceweasel/Firefox/Seamonkey; Safari in all of its versions; Chrome; Opera 6-12; Netscape Navigator; Links; lynx; OffByOne[/footnote] and can safely say that IE is the worst of them all.[/OT]

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Keep the posts coming you guys, you're all keeping me from falling asleep in class (hell I am so bored!!)

After all I've seen, heard, and read up on about the Xbox One, I am now a Sony man all the way. I loved the Xbox and quite enjoyed my Xbox 360 for the years that I had it (still have it but never touch it anymore) but now all I play is my PS3 and after all this, I will be getting a PS4.

Also not that I quoted the person but if I ever heard someone say Queen copied "He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Name" I would gladly punch them in the nose.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Matthi205 said:
SkarKrow said:
Matthi205 said:
SkarKrow said:

OK, that thing with Queen an Justin Bieber is starting to make me lose faith in humanity.

They weren't directed at you, they were there just to provide perspective to others.
I thought that the Browser Monopoly thing was over years ago? Figures.

[OT]Why does Windows still get bundled with IE? That browser is nowhere near being easy or convenient to use, and is the single most security-issue ridden thing on the entire PC, leaving behind Windows itself in some cases. I've used nearly every single browser in existence[footnote]IE6,7,8,9,10; Iceweasel/Firefox/Seamonkey; Safari in all of its versions; Chrome; Opera 6-12; Netscape Navigator; Links; lynx; OffByOne[/footnote] and can safely say that IE is the worst of them all.[/OT]
Well they got a huge fine over it, paid it, and were told they had to put in a screen on first boot of any PC asking you to pick a broswer with at least IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari. I've seen the screen that should be there, but I've never seen it in real life though. As a result of not doing this, they were fined again last year over it.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Neronium said:
SkarKrow said:
Well perhaps MS's CEO is secretly a Frost Giant. I mean you never know, or perhaps they have the Jörmungandr locked in their basements and the Xbone's Kinect will release the monster into the homes of many.
Also, if I ever heard people say that Queen copied Bieber I would slap them upside the head no matter what their age was (okay I wouldn't slap little kids, but you get my point)! That's just...just dirty and disrespects Queen!
Well if Microsoft has frost giants we could be staring down the start of Ragnarok here... could be interesting... would definately necessitate Mjolnir though, perhaps even Gugnhir (spelling may be wrong).

Yeah if I ever see it in real life, I will likely punch the culprit square between the eyes.
Nobody disrespects Freddy and gets away with it >_O

Also for some reason I was not notified you'd quoted me.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Quiet Stranger said:
Keep the posts coming you guys, you're all keeping me from falling asleep in class (hell I am so bored!!)

After all I've seen, heard, and read up on about the Xbox One, I am now a Sony man all the way. I loved the Xbox and quite enjoyed my Xbox 360 for the years that I had it (still have it but never touch it anymore) but now all I play is my PS3 and after all this, I will be getting a PS4.

Also not that I quoted the person but if I ever heard someone say Queen copied "He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Name" I would gladly punch them in the nose.
That would be me, see my above post. I really think we might need some kind of purge to get rid of some of the stupid people on this planet.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
SkarKrow said:
Quiet Stranger said:

That would be me, see my above post. I really think we might need some kind of purge to get rid of some of the stupid people on this planet.
I agree, shall we meet over milk and cookies and discuss a plan on how to enact the purging?

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Quiet Stranger said:
SkarKrow said:
Quiet Stranger said:

I agree, shall we meet over milk and cookies and discuss a plan on how to enact the purging?
Make it whisky and cigars and you have a deal. I propose initially removing the warning labels from everything and removing signs that state the obvious such as "do not walk on the train tracks", the next step is to stop offering medical help to people who come in having drunk bleach, shoved a lightbulb up their arse, etc...

It's much more insidious than just killing them all you see.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Neronium said:
SkarKrow said:
tmande2nd said:
snip
Silly fools, why use those when you can use this!

Albeit you need a Norse god or an alien to wield it, but once that sucker is off, it is off for good!

OT: The EU really should just install a revolving door when it comes to MS because they always make these global decisions and somehow forget that Europe exists.
Use the model that include electricity at least.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
SkarKrow said:
Quiet Stranger said:
SkarKrow said:
Make it whisky and cigars and you have a deal. I propose initially removing the warning labels from everything and removing signs that state the obvious such as "do not walk on the train tracks", the next step is to stop offering medical help to people who come in having drunk bleach, shoved a lightbulb up their arse, etc...

I take it we're meeting in that volcano research complex of yours? If that is indeed the case, please tell your steward to prepare a Teh Tarik for me.

I don't know... insidious, yes. But what about those who have some kind of self preservation instinct? Could we not make some kind of T-Virus that only infects people who are retarded and then mass hypnotise everybody who's left to shoot anything that looks retarded and half dead? (We might lose some of the politicians that still have a working brain, but those are an acceptable casualty)

[footnote]Yes we're totally off topic now.[/footnote]

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Matthi205 said:
SkarKrow said:
Quiet Stranger said:
SkarKrow said:

I take it we're meeting in that volcano research complex of yours? If that is indeed the case, please tell your steward to prepare a Teh Tarik for me.

I don't know... insidious, yes. But what about those who have some kind of self preservation instinct? Could we not make some kind of T-Virus that only infects people who are retarded and then mass hypnotise everybody who's left to shoot anything that looks retarded and half dead? (We might lose some of the politicians that still have a working brain, but those are an acceptable casualty)

[footnote]Yes we're totally off topic now.[footnote]
We're meeting in the undersea bunker actually, though there are nearby volacnoes, I find it's easier to have the natural defence of crushing pressure and giant squid than to pay human guards on land.

Ah but you see, I only laid out phase one. Once we've purged the truly unsalvagable waste from the planet we can start working on a way to clean-up the rest and improve the intellect of the general population through eugenics and SCIENCE!

As for the politicians we need to get rid of them anyway then use their collective salaries to fund space fortress.