Germans Demand Profits From Nick Fury's Briefcase

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Germans Demand Profits From Nick Fury's Briefcase

An exclusive replica of Nick Fury's iconic briefcase used in the Avengers box set may cost Marvel a bundle.

If you went to see The Avengers, one image is undoubtedly seared into your brain: Nick Fury's snazzy attaché case. That thing just stole every scene it was in, and it became so iconic that Marvel decided to use Rimowa [http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/NerdyGeek/news/?a=64472], makers of the Topas briefcase - are asking for statutory, compensatory and punitive damages as part of their trademark infringement suit against Marvel.

"Images of the replica briefcase on Marvel's advertising materials," says Rimowa's complaint, "and fan video from Marvel's product display at this year's ComicCon convention, show the plastic 'replica case' to be a close copy of Rimowa's Topas attaché case in every respect but quality." Rimowa was fine with the case appearing in the movie - in fact, they supplied it - but nobody told them Marvel was going to use a knock-off of their case design as schlock packaging for a movie boxed set.

Rimowa is miffed, and seeks vengeance. Specifically, it wants a prohibition against further infringements, all profits from the alleged unlawful conduct, and an award of three times its actual proven damages. Its demands may just be pre-trial chest-thumping; when this issue has come up before - as with The Hangover 2 and its alleged Louis Vuitton handbag, which provoked a suit against Warner Brothers - the courts have been less than sympathetic to designers claiming trademark infringement. No doubt Rimowa is fully aware of this, and would like a settlement if they can get it.

However there is a significant difference between the situation in The Hangover 2 and The Avengers. In The Hangover 2 the handbag in the movie was fake and everyone, including Vuitton, accepted that it was a fake. In The Avengers the Topas was the real deal, and Marvel would have known that when it put its boxed set together. "Marvel did not obtain any license or authorization from Rimowa to make replica copies of the cases for any purpose," Rimowa helpfully points out.

Here's hoping Marvel's lawyers have a convincing counter, or at least a handy shield to hide behind.

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/aug/06/marvel-sued-avengers-briefcase-box-set?intcmp=ILCMUSTXT9385]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The case is so indistinguishable from other cases! That is blatant theft! Oh the humanity!

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I sort of understand why he is so pissed off since there's a lot of money in this.
But at the same time the case is so cool I don't understand why he is so grumpy :p
Marvel should still know some about this sort of thing and should maybe have talked to the guy first? I doubt this is the first time cases like this have happened.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
So it's the case of the fake case. It seems as though there's been a new lawsuit story every week, the legal world is a scary place.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The breifcase in the film was based on a real brand?

Rimowa do know that Marvel had just make a breifcase shape dvd boxset right? Ok yes it's still ripping them off by image but I highly doubt anyone will use it as a literal briftcase if it can be used as one at all.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
It sounds like a legitimate grievance to me.

The company is probably exaggerating claims so as to get a better settlement, but overall I'd say they're in the right here.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
A media conglomerate being sued for copyright infringement? Oh irony.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Rimowa: I have a trademark

Marvel: We have a Hulk.
I would love if that was Marvel's response to the whole thing.

They probably have a case (pun unintended) when it comes down to it, it seems. Even if I doubt anybody will actually use the thing as a briefcase.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
"or at least a handy shield to hide behind"... I see what you did there. S.H.I.E.L.D. and Captain America approve.

Is it wrong that I want this to go well for Marvel so I can get a sweet case for my DVDs. I'm weak, the case just looks so nice!

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Damages? People now wanting a briefcase like the one they saw in the movie will be buying them from Rimowa if they are, indeed, close. This comes off like Chevrolet wanting to sue Transformers over Bumblebee being a Camaro... Actually, Chevrolet might have a case there.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Guffe said:
I sort of understand why he is so pissed off since there's a lot of money in this.
But at the same time the case is so cool I don't understand why he is so grumpy :p
Imagine if you made something THAT cool and got no money for it.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
I think Rimowa have a valid case. This is not some generic briefcase, but rather a rather distinctive design. Marvel didn't obtain permission to use it's likeness for the boxed set, so Rimowa have every right to seek damages.

Also,
DVS BSTrD said:
Rimowa: I have a trademark

Marvel: We have a Hulk.
Marvel: "We have She-Hulk."

Would be more appropriate, IMHO.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Honestly, judging by the information given in the article, it does seem like Marvel is in the wrong. They had the rights to use the case in the movie. That doesn't give them the right to produce duplicates (even if they aren't actually functional briefcases) without further permission. Mass producing a lower-quality version of their product is something that should upset the company producing the case.

That said, three times the proven damages and everything else they're demanding seems to be a bit overkill. But I doubt they'll get that much even if they do win. I suppose we'll just have to see.

That said it's still a nifty Collector's Edition and I still want it.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Ukomba said:
Damages? People now wanting a briefcase like the one they saw in the movie will be buying them from Rimowa if they are, indeed, close. This comes off like Chevrolet wanting to sue Transformers over Bumblebee being a Camaro... Actually, Chevrolet might have a case there.
except who do you think knew about that? everyone knows Chevrolet but how many people knew about the company before this lawsuit came up? NOW they will probably get some business out of it.

let's see how this turns out but my guess is we will hear from this for a while and at some point Marvel will settle.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
teebeeohh said:
Ukomba said:
except who do you think knew about that? everyone knows Chevrolet but how many people knew about the company before this lawsuit came up? NOW they will probably get some business out of it.

let's see how this turns out but my guess is we will hear from this for a while and at some point Marvel will settle.
Right, but people who knew about Rimowa already might be more likely to buy it thanks to the movie. Ya, it's not great advertising, but I don't see how it hurts them either. Were they planning on releasing a line of dvd cases?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Ukomba said:
Didn't Chevrolet WANT Bumblebee as one of their car models? (I remember reading somewhere that the contract also stated that a Ford model had to be a Deceptacon as well but I'm not sure.)

This case is much more clear cut, Rimowa agreed to have its case and supplied genuine models for the movie but didn't agree for Marvel to produce life-size replicas of it. Marvel are now creating full size replicas, Rimowa doesn?t like it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Really? Well, let's see here...

A German company VS a major comic book company, Hollywood, and Samuel L. Jackson.

Face it, Germany. It's a lost cause. The effects of post-modernism will create the truth to be that this is a briefcase with "Bad ************" written on it.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Ukomba said:
teebeeohh said:
Ukomba said:

Right, but people who knew about Rimowa already might be more likely to buy it thanks to the movie. Ya, it's not great advertising, but I don't see how it hurts them either. Were they planning on releasing a line of dvd cases?
probably not but marvel should have known they got the design of the case from somewhere and considered that. maybe just a case of one hand not knowing what the other does.
and i just noticed that your transformers comparison doesn't really work since they don't object to their product being in the movie but over marvel using their design for something else. and i don't think there are dvd special editions or toys of bumblebee that look like Camaros without some sort of license.

and regarding hurting them the original case is rather expensive (let me check... 430?) while the movie collection is less than one fourth of the price meaning the case probably isn't too sturdy. now all we need is one idiot getting his hands one of the cheap cases, it breaks and he looses his priceless collection of ancient coins, he writes one angry review and after word to mouth EVERYTHING IS RUINED.
not very likely too happen but when have lawsuits been about things that are likely to happen?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
I think this case will largely come down to what agreements the two companies made during production and if whether the briefcase logo was displayed during the film.

That said, it honestly looks like any other stainless steel case. Not sure why they bothered getting some designer one when props probably had dozens of similar models sitting around.