Germans Demand Profits From Nick Fury's Briefcase

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
I don't know what you are complaining about, Rimowa is clearly in the right here.
Sure it may not be the smartest move of them, but they are, undoubtfully, in the right.

And:
"GERMANS Demand Profits From Nick Fury's Briefcase"
Seriously?

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
The Human Torch said:
Slycne said:
I think this case will largely come down to what agreements the two companies made during production and if whether the briefcase logo was displayed during the film.

That said, it honestly looks like any other stainless steel case. Not sure why they bothered getting some designer one when props probably had dozens of similar models sitting around.
Except that this steel case was deliberately designed FOR the Avengers movie, and Marvel decided to sell it as a Blu-Ray collector's box without discussing it with the original designers. Yeah, it doesn't work that way.
In which case it is most likely a prop and a work for hire arrangement, with the compensation being in the form of product placement and marketing. If this was something designed and custom made specifically for the Avengers movie, then Rinowa will in all likelihood lose. Studios did watch what happened with George Lucas and the Stormtrooper helmets.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Guffe said:
True true...
But I'd be blinded by the awesomeness so much that I wouldn't care! :p
Well maybe not, I certainly do understand his point of view. What I don't understand is how Marvel couldn't see this happening o_O
their psychics were sick that day. ;)

AdmiralCheez

Nov 9, 2009
Like the others, I had no idea Nick Fury even had a briefcase. I only remember him shooting people, talking to silhouettes, and chewing out the Avengers for not playing nice with each other.

Oh, hang on, was this briefcase the one that they stored the magic energy cube in? If it is, I only vaguely remember seeing it once in the opening sequence. And even then, I didn't think it was cool enough to make a DVD case out of. It just looked like a steel briefcase with a window in the middle.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
The Human Torch said:
8-Bit_Jack said:
that case looks just like a cheap travel case i got at walmart for 20 bucks
get the fuck over it, germans
Regardless of what you think it looks like, it's intellectual property that belongs to a company. Which Marvel is abusing with it's usual money-grubbing. And that suitcase at Wal-Mart for 20 bucks? Set me up with a couple, please.
And the cotton gin was also intellectual property, but it was considered so basic that its patent was thrown out of court, and the inventor made nothing on his tremendously important invention.

When your product is a box with a handle that looks virtually indistinguishable from countless other boxes with handles, you can't complain that someone stole your look. Marvel isn't claiming their boxes are made by this magic german box company, and isn't selling them as the same KIND of box. The germans can say "hey, if you want a REAL box, buy the box we sold them: it is a damn fine box" and sell to market.
hell, it isnt even the same damn SIZE as the real box, and can't be used for the same purpose.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
[quote="8-Bit_Jack" post="7.384296.15247536"
And the cotton gin was also intellectual property, but it was considered so basic that its patent was thrown out of court, and the inventor made nothing on his tremendously important invention.

When your product is a box with a handle that looks virtually indistinguishable from countless other boxes with handles, you can't complain that someone stole your look. Marvel isn't claiming their boxes are made by this magic german box company, and isn't selling them as the same KIND of box. The germans can say "hey, if you want a REAL box, buy the box we sold them: it is a damn fine box" and sell to market.
hell, it isnt even the same damn SIZE as the real box, and can't be used for the same purpose.[/quote]
Yet, we are not dealing with cotton gin here. And I've never seen a metal suitcase with a freaking light in the middle.

This suitcase has it's own design. That design is with the company. Marvel asked them to design the suitcase for the movie, they paid the German company for it to star in the movies. Then Marvel decided to mass-replicate it, for blu-ray sales.

How can you not see where Marvel went wrong.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Eh, the whole thing will be settled out of court. Marvel will give Rimowa a buck-fifty for eash collectors case they sell and maybe throw in a coupon good for $5 off a genuine Topas briefcase (which runs about $600-$900, depending on options).

irmasterlol

Apr 11, 2012
I kind of thought that Nick Fury movie with David Hasslehoff in it was payment enough. Germans love the Hoff.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Kojiro ftt said:
I saw the movie. I barely remember the briefcase. Not sure what all the hubbub is about.
This. My first thought was, "Nick Fury had a briefcase?"

CAPTCHA: deep thought. Don't mock me, you fuck.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
irmasterlol said:
I kind of thought that Nick Fury movie with David Hasslehoff in it was payment enough. Germans love the Hoff.
Yeah, sure, guess i am no german after all. Thanks for clearing that out.

irmasterlol

Apr 11, 2012
Amaror said:
irmasterlol said:
Oh I'm sure you're a German. You just haven't come to love that particular element of your own culture. It's ok though. It will come in time.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
irmasterlol said:
Amaror said:
irmasterlol said:
Oh I'm sure you're a German. You just haven't come to love that particular element of your own culture. It's ok though. It will come in time.
It's always great to see how better random people on the internet understand my own culture than me.

irmasterlol

Apr 11, 2012
Amaror said:
irmasterlol said:
Amaror said:
irmasterlol said:
It's always great to see how better random people on the internet understand my own culture than me.
It's probably just my superior genes. Don't worry about it. You should probably Google "Germans love David Hasslehoff" before you give yourself and aneurysm.