Germany embassy in Sudan stormed

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well fuck, looks like the United States isn't alone in this one. I have absolutely no idea why, but apparently the German embassy in Sudan was stormed because of that anti-Islamic movie that pissed so many people off.
http://news.yahoo.com/sudan-protesters-storm-german-embassy-raise-islamic-flag-124438100.html

We really do live in a hate filled world, don't we? Incidentally, I wonder how that guy who made this movie feels knowing that he's a key part of this mess. Oh, and by the way I learned an interesting piece of trivia. Remember that guy who wanted to organize a massive burning of Quarns? It's the exact same guy...lovely.

EDIT:

Fuck, it's getting worse
http://news.yahoo.com/protests-against-film-spread-mideast-1-killed-135739393.html

up to date article, the Marines are being sent in.

http://news.yahoo.com/clashes-egypt-over-film-protests-spread-115710576--finance.html

I...Christ this is fucking massive

http://news.yahoo.com/anti-film-protests-spread-across-muslim-world-164455189.html

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
It's disgusting how easily a peaceful religion can get twisted and corrupted like this. Hopefully cooler-heads prevail and they can calm the radicals down.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
What bothers me is the US government's noncommittal response. By not defending our citizens actions (no matter if we personally agree or not), we are abandoning the freedoms laid forth in our constitution. If citizens of another nation can silence American citizens by protest, violence, and murder, then all that America stands for is truly dead.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
omicron1 said:
What bothers me is the US government's noncommittal response. By not defending our citizens actions (no matter if we personally agree or not), we are abandoning the freedoms laid forth in our constitution. If citizens of another nation can silence American citizens by protest, violence, and murder, then all that America stands for is truly dead.
What do you think the US should be doing? I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm genuinely curious.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
omicron1 said:
Yeah, I've been hearing a lot of garbage coming from politicians and talking heads, from both ends of the aisles. While we shouldn't feel the need to defend hate-speech from our own citizens, we shouldn't apologize for it either. No one is responsible for that video except for the moron who made it.

Someone on Fox (some no-name pundit) last night mentioned that we only protest issues within our own country while those in the Middle East protest us. He then went on to say, "if we're going to be on equal footing with them we have to start burning their flags."

I nearly puked in my mouth. You know what you should do in this situation? Stay vigilant. Don't let this kind of thing change you or waver your resolve. If you give in that means they've won. Plus, burning flags is incredibly disrespectful. I'd be really pissed off if I saw someone doing that to Syrian, Iranian, etc. flag.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010

Anyway, all of this is rather excessive over a film is it not? Somebody needs to calm this whole situation down. Especially since it seems Germany didn't do a huge amount to be attacked.

I do love some of the comments as well.

Dec 14, 2009
omicron1 said:

Free Speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Andy Shandy said:

Anyway, all of this is rather excessive over a film is it not? Somebody needs to calm this whole situation down. Especially since it seems Germany didn't do a huge amount to be attacked.

I just feel horrible for the innocent Muslims over there. Their entire religion and population is demonized due to the actions of some radicals. Do these radicals even understand that they are only making us hate their people more? It baffles me.

You have to give some credit to the good-aligned clerics over there though. They risk their lives trying to diffuse these situations everyday and end up dead a lot of the time :(

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
erttheking said:
omicron1 said:
What do you think the US should be doing? I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm genuinely curious.
Pull out embassies. Sever diplomatic ties. Cut off monetary aid. Respond! Do whatever the US gov't normally does in response to terrorist groups killing and capturing US citizens.
Just don't kowtow and apologize and blame the person at whom these violent mobs are angry.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Daystar Clarion said:
omicron1 said:

I have to agree with Daystar on this one, you can feel free to walk into the middle of a gang and start implying that they all sleep with their mothers, and freedom of speech isn't going to protect you there. I just wish the consequences were going to the asshole who made the film, and not random American and German citizens, who might not have even known that it existed.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
omicron1 said:
erttheking said:
omicron1 said:
Pull out embassies. Sever diplomatic ties. Cut off monetary aid. Respond! Do whatever the US gov't normally does in response to terrorist groups killing and capturing US citizens.
Just don't kowtow and apologize and blame the person at whom these violent mobs are angry.
What we normally do is response to terrorists killing American citizens?...uh...I think if Iraq proved anything it's that half of our country and most of Europe doesn't really appreciate what we normally do when terrorists kill our citizens. BTW, people are apologizing for this? Who? When? Can you send a link?

Dec 14, 2009
erttheking said:
Daystar Clarion said:
omicron1 said:

I have to agree with Daystar on this one, you can feel free to walk into the middle of a gang and start implying that they all sleep with their mothers, and freedom of speech isn't going to protect you there. I just wish the consequences were going to the asshole who made the film, and not random American and German citizens, who might not have even known that it existed.
Agreed.

This particular instance is rather disturbing because others are dying because of the ill-conceived actions of another.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Daystar Clarion said:
erttheking said:
Daystar Clarion said:
omicron1 said:

Agreed.

This particular instance is rather disturbing because others are dying because of the ill-conceived actions of another.
Throwing out the statement "they just hate Americans" normally is kind of childish and immature (and in a lot of cases flat out wrong), but considering that it was just one guy from America and they killed people that were also from America...I think it might fit this particular situation, considering they were angry enough to kill people just because they were from the same country as that guy. This whole thing is just a giant mess, frankly I don't know what to think of it.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
erttheking said:
omicron1 said:
erttheking said:
omicron1 said:
What we normally do is response to terrorists killing American citizens?...uh...I think if Iraq proved anything it's that half of our country and most of Europe doesn't really appreciate what we normally do when terrorists kill our citizens. BTW, people are apologizing for this? Who? When? Can you send a link?
I didn't see it myself, but I have been told that President Obama and some others have formally apologized to the Muslim community for the video. My president represents me and everyone I know in this country. There is no reason to apologize, because we're not responsible for the video in the first place. Kind of insulting really.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
omicron1 said:

This is not a consequence. This is a violent mob response to an "offensive" video (from a group who get murderous if you even DRAW He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Insulted). This is an American making a (poorly-produced) protected statement, and being thrown to the wolves in order to appease those same wolves.
In essence, the US is saying "These people's request that you not insult Islam matters more to us than your freedom of speech or expression."

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Fappy said:
erttheking said:
omicron1 said:
erttheking said:
omicron1 said:
I didn't see it myself, but I have been told that President Obama and some others have formally apologized to the Muslim community for the video. My president represents me and everyone I know in this country. There is no reason to apologize, because we're not responsible for the video in the first place. Kind of insulting really.
....Obama apologized to the people who killed American citizens, including an ambassador?...he must not want for me to vote for him that badly. For Christ sake, is there no middle ground with this country? It's either full out invading other countries, or apologizing to other countries after they kill our people.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Fappy said:
Andy Shandy said:

I just feel horrible for the innocent Muslims over there. Their entire religion and population is demonized due to the actions of some radicals. Do these radicals even understand that they are only making us hate their people more? It baffles me.

You have to give some credit to the good-aligned clerics over there though. They risk their lives trying to diffuse these situations everyday and end up dead a lot of the time :(
I have to agree. Unforunately, Islam's reputation, like many other groups, lives and dies by it's most extreme and vocal groups. These groups are the ones committing all these terrible sorts of acts, and undermining all the good work done by the many peaceful Muslims. And these peaceful ones tend to be the ones who die/are killed while the radicals make the reputation worse.

Dec 14, 2009
erttheking said:
Daystar Clarion said:
erttheking said:
Daystar Clarion said:
omicron1 said:

Agreed.

Throwing out the statement "they just hate Americans" normally is kind of childish and immature (and in a lot of cases flat out wrong), but considering that it was just one guy from America and they killed people that were also from America...I think it might fit this particular situation, considering they were angry enough to kill people just because they were from the same country as that guy. This whole thing is just a giant mess, frankly I don't know what to think of it.
It is a bit of a clusterfuck.

Shame what a few bad apples are doing to the reputation of a whole religion.

worldruler8

Aug 3, 2010
There was a bomb threat at a North Dakota University too. This is escalating quickly...

http://news.yahoo.com/ndsu-orders-campus-evacuated-due-bomb-threat-153230068.html

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
erttheking said:
There is no way in hell I am casting my ballot in this election. Both parties are out of their fucking minds right now and both candidates disappoint me every time they open their mouths.

Andy Shandy said:
The sad part is that I know so many people that are falling for the trap. All I have been seeing on facebook for the last two days is blind bigotry.