Get Out - White People are Scary

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Get Out - White People are Scary

Get Out is one of the most interesting, satisfying, and unnerving horror movies in recent memory.

Read Full Article

Jan 12, 2012
Cold Shiny said:
"But movies are primarily made for a white audience"

What?
http://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/MPAA-Theatrical-Market-Statistics-2015_Final.pdf

Pg. 12. At least in the USA and Canada, the white audience is larger than all other ethnicities combined, at 56% of frequent moviegoers (the runner up is Hispanics at 23%, well above their portion of the national race makeup). Besides that, the industry is largely dominated by white Americans both behind and in front of the camera, who tend to make movies for other white Americans.

Nov 28, 2007
I might have to let my brother know about this. He and I both quite like horror movies. He tends more towards the paranormal stuff, but I'm trying to branch him into other horror movies. It's surprising to see Peele, of all people, pull off a great horror movie, but good on him.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Sorry but I lol at the header image cos it look like he is crying being forced fed by the popcorn!

I knew about this when I watch Moviebob upcoming 2017 movies to look forward too and I'm suprised it was good to the point it has gotten 100% on RottenTomato (last time I've check days ago).

I send the link to my coworker cos he is into horror movies and he actually want to go watched it now!

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Personally I loathe the vast majority of traditional horror movies, so I have to ask, is this more of a thriller or suspense or more of a jumpscare-style traditional horror?

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
hentropy said:
Personally I loathe the vast majority of traditional horror movies, so I have to ask, is this more of a thriller or suspense or more of a jumpscare-style traditional horror?
The go to comparison I'm seeing a lot is the 70's stepford wives movie, so more of a thriller for the most part.

Hoping my local gets this, and soon.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
hentropy said:
There are very few jump startles.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
This does interest me. I'm kind of bored and annoyed at how every horror movie these days seems to be about bland, middle-class, white families moving into creaky houses and getting possessed. Considering how cheap horror movies are to make, you'd think people would be more adventurous with them.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Wait...it IS a horror movie about racism?! 'cause everyone I've talked to who's seen it says its hysterical! Its an Evil-Dead comedy! Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo over-the-top and campy and self-aware it can't, literally, not be a dark comedy movie.

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
maninahat said:
This does interest me. I'm kind of bored and annoyed at how seemingly every horror movie these days seems to be about bland, middle-class, white families moving into creaky houses and getting possessed. Considering how cheap horror movies are to make, you'd think people would be more adventurous with them.
The worst part of it is that they aren't even being possessed by anything interesting, it's all the same fluff

But anyway I'm glad it's gotten such good reviews I will have to give it a watch.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Well, i'm honestly relieved to know I was wrong about the movie. When I watched the trailer, I thought it was going to be bad mainly because of the movie 'trying to hard' vibe. However seeing the praise it's getting and the compliments, this puts me in a rather good mood. I should go and see this, although i'm kind of a wuss when it comes to horror. Might rent it instead when it comes out on DvD so I can handle it better on my normal sized TV lol.
Oh noes a scary movie is too scary so I'm gonna watch an action movie, cuz that's what people like.

:p

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
So the made a horror/dark comedy movie about a standard progressives family (that black turtle neck and thick rim glasses :D ). Butt clenched over any mention of being liberal and colour-blind when it comes to race (because that's so racist!) - we gotta remind black guy about his black 'heritage'. And if roles are switched - remind that white boy about his white 'heritage'. Do that all the time but proclaim it isn't racist! :D Unless they go for their precious Chelsea, Malia or Shasha... then horror time! :D

Good times! ;)

Just Ebola

Literally Hitler
Jan 7, 2015
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Cold Shiny said:

What?
http://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/MPAA-Theatrical-Market-Statistics-2015_Final.pdf

Pg. 12. At least in the USA and Canada, the white audience is larger than all other ethnicities combined, at 56% of frequent moviegoers (the runner up is Hispanics at 23%, well above their portion of the national race makeup). Besides that, the industry is largely dominated by white Americans both behind and in front of the camera, who tend to make movies for other white Americans.
Whites being a large demographic doesn't exactly equal "most movies being targeted to whites". Look no further than the movie we're referencing as evidence, the antagonists are white and there are serious overtones of racism, so the idea of it being marketed towards whites kind of falls flat. Yet so far it's been a big commercial success, it's almost as if the market isn't decided by the whims of a homogenous white majority.

It's kind of telling that a successful movie with racial tones that was written, story-boarded and directed by a black man is still painted up as "the white man's insidious agenda!". The movie seemingly goes out of it's way to tear the wound of off racial tensions, but it's still somehow the machination of some unseen, super-white hand that controls the market.

That's... interesting.

Oct 22, 2011
Silentpony said:
Wait...it IS a horror movie about racism?! 'cause everyone I've talked to who's seen it says its hysterical! Its an Evil-Dead comedy! Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo over-the-top and campy and self-aware it can't, literally, not be a dark comedy movie.
It can't be both? I mean, Evil Dead is probably an almost perfect example of this kind of blend. Still a horror/slasher at heart but with healthy dose of camp. Evil Dead 2 doubles down on that, but not until Army of Darkness series turns into comedy foremost with some horror elements.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Scream was a vaguely humourous deconstruction while still maintaining a serious face and story. I think that is a bit of an artform in itself, so that people who want to see the tiny subtler humours in life can appreciate them, while those who rather wouldn't or don't, can appreciate the film's direction as it is. Am sure the latest Evil Dead was great at this too.
Haven't seen this, so can't say if it is the case here. But it did initially come off that way in the synopsis. If it IS so, then how long the will it be before a tone-deaf scary-movie style "parody" of this will be made?

*Sigh* But of course a film like this would bring up online race debates.
Ebola_chan said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Cold Shiny said:

What?

Whites being a large demographic doesn't exactly equal "most movies being targeted to whites". Look no further than the movie we're referencing as evidence, the antagonists are white and there are serious overtones of racism, so the idea of it being marketed towards whites kind of falls flat. Yet so far it's been a big commercial success, it's almost as if the market isn't decided by the whims of a homogenous white majority.

It's kind of telling that a successful movie with racial tones that was written, story-boarded and directed by a black man is still painted up as "the white man's insidious agenda!". The movie seemingly goes out of it's way to tear the wound of off racial tensions, but it's still somehow the machination of some unseen, super-white hand that controls the market.

That's... interesting.
Hmm, a very "it's snowing today, so much for global warming" handwave of the initial post. And yes I know those two issues are completely different, before jumping down that pointless rabbit hole, it's just the deflection being brandished is rather similar. Am not hanging around to see this turn into another circular thread though. Just thought it best to point that was a rather weak form of dismissal.

Just Ebola

Literally Hitler
Jan 7, 2015
Xsjadoblayde said:
Hmm, a very "it's snowing today, so much for global warming" handwave of the initial post. And yes I know those two issues are completely different, before jumping down that pointless rabbit hole, it's just the deflection being brandished is rather similar. Am not hanging around to see this turn into another circular thread though. Just thought it best to point that was a rather weak form of dismissal.
What? I honestly don't know what you're talking about with the whole 'apples and oranges' comparison. I was pointing out that movies aren't blanket-ly made by white people for white people, looking no further than this movie as proof. Not that there aren't a million other fucking examples to point to. It wasn't so much a dismissal as much as me pointing out a flaw in logic. And I'm certainly not "defending" anything, I'm not the one who was making the initial argument. And calling what I said "weak" without pointing out why is way, way more dismissive than anything I said.

Do you really think things like race can't be brought up without descending into a spiral of hatred? I mean, I don't think so at least.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
I was pleasantly surprised by it. The comedy was done just right the main character was well-written/acted. Even if you're not into horror, it's worth a watch.

Ebola_chan said:
The movie seemingly goes out of it's way to tear the wound of off racial tensions, but it's still somehow the machination of some unseen, super-white hand that controls the market.
I dislike the mindset that movie writers shouldn't tread certain topics so as to not disturb the masses (or rile up racial tension). Unless the movie is done in the same vein of 1915's Birth of a Nation, it's not causing anything that wasn't already happening.

Just Ebola

Literally Hitler
Jan 7, 2015
TheMigrantSoldier said:
I was pleasantly surprised by it. The comedy was done just right the main character was well-written/acted. Even if you're not into horror, it's worth a watch.

Ebola_chan said:
The movie seemingly goes out of it's way to tear the wound of off racial tensions, but it's still somehow the machination of some unseen, super-white hand that controls the market.
I dislike the mindset that movie writers shouldn't tread certain topics so as to not disturb the masses (or rile up racial tension). Unless the movie is done in the same vein of 1915's Birth of a Nation, it's not causing anything that wasn't already happening.
Don't misinterpret, I absolutely love movies that tackle sensitive issues, provided they treat such topics with the proper respect and context. I believe movies that go against the grain to explore the dark side of humanity can be great, and many of my personal favorites do. Topics like drug use, violence, rape and racism shouldn't be off limits to talented directors. Django Unchained from 2012 is a great example of a director using tones of racism really competently.

That being said, I do take issue with people taking a movie with racial overtones that was written and directed by a black man, and has a black lead, and trying to pretend it's the product of some exclusively white Hollywood machine that makes movies for an exclusively white audience. Because obviously that's fucking ridiculous.