Getting tired of the "It's okay when Nintendo does it" excuse

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Ghostface2206 said:
So why does Hyrule Warriors have a ($20!!) season pass...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hyrule-warriors-gets-4-dlc-packs-bonus-dark-link-c/1100-6422459/

captcha: hissy fit....is this thing mocking me?

edit: and there! see the comments, some of them are nintendo fans (who used to say that nintendo was great for not doing dlc and putting the whole game on the disk, but now they're congratulating them for 'getting with modern trends'.)

they're putting game modes into planned dlc packs. they're not doing dlc any differently to anyone else here

double edit: and another thing that annoys me, Iwata said not too long ago that nintendo wouldnt do dlc because it's not worth it, to the sound of cheering fanboys, now they're doing it and no one;s calling them out for going back on their word

also the mario kart 8 dlc I didnt put my wording right there but i actually do like that, it's HW i'm more annoyed about and the mentality of fanboys
Dude, considering what they are offering for $20.00 season pass that's a super good deal.

All together you are getting 7 new costumes (presumedly for Link and Zelda)

Three maps (and if maps are anything to go by they come with a buttload of content in and of itself

Three new characters plus the Dark Link character you get with the season pass

Two new game modes, which also means even more buttloads of content, and a new adventure map.

That's an assload of stuff for only $20.00. Last time Nintendo did $20.00 DLC was the Luigi U pack that came with Luigi and Nabbit as a character and over 100+ extra levels with higher difficulty. Absolutely nobody complained about that because the content for the price was through the roof.

It's seems you less interested in finding out why people aren't complaining about Nintendo DLC and more interested in pointing and hawking at Nintendo fans who like what Nintendo is doing with DLC.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Neronium said:
Dragonbums said:
The preorder locations for the costumes is pretty fucking annoying. Since the one I want you have to go to Best Buy...which I don't have a car to go to and the closest game store is Gamestop. But...eh? That's the worst I've seen from Nintendo.

Honestly it should be considered a industry standard, but the fact that people are praising it just shows how much DLC practices have gone in the shitter.
Honestly this isn't even the worst instance of DLC that Nintendo has done. Everyone seems to have forgotten the New Super Mario Bros 2 DLC that was on the 3DS...now that was something that people should've been upset over because that was (technically still is) pretty damn bad. Well, that and the fact that Nintendo keeps doing exclusive stuff for GameStop only. >.>
Oh yeah, Isn't that the coin frenzy game? Most people just went "too expensive" and didn't bother kicking up a storm. But I heard it's really not worth it.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Ghostface2206 said:
So why does Hyrule Warriors have a ($20!!) season pass...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hyrule-warriors-gets-4-dlc-packs-bonus-dark-link-c/1100-6422459/

captcha: hissy fit....is this thing mocking me?

edit: and there! see the comments, some of them are nintendo fans (who used to say that nintendo was great for not doing dlc and putting the whole game on the disk, but now they're congratulating them for 'getting with modern trends'.)

they're putting game modes into planned dlc packs. they're not doing dlc any differently to anyone else here

double edit: and another thing that annoys me, Iwata said not too long ago that nintendo wouldnt do dlc because it's not worth it, to the sound of cheering fanboys, now they're doing it and no one;s calling them out for going back on their word

also the mario kart 8 dlc I didnt put my wording right there but i actually do like that, it's HW i'm more annoyed about and the mentality of fanboys
Oh, he was never against DLC, he was just against BAD DLC. Or, as he put it, deceitful DLC:

http://playeressence.com/iwata-lays-down-the-law-with-dlc-on-nintendo-platforms-we-will-not-deceive-with-dlc/

Seriously, you can yell until you're blue in the face, but the reason people aren't irritated is because thus far Nintendo has done DLC very well. They basically had an entire generation to sit back, observe trends and think "well, now we know what NOT to do." People are irritatd over the costume DLC, but it's not a dealbreaker, especially since they'll be on the eShop anyway and won't cost much.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I agree that the costume DLC is pretty stupid considering how it's tied to retailers, but the recently announced more-content heavy DLC sounds a lot more promising. Not long after launch they plan to release three new playable characters for free before they start putting out priced DLC.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Dragonbums said:
Oh yeah, Isn't that the coin frenzy game? Most people just went "too expensive" and didn't bother kicking up a storm. But I heard it's really not worth it.
Yep, it's the coin frenzy game. That DLC is horribly overpriced for what it gives you in the game, and the only pack that is actually worth it is the Impossible Pack because it has some difficult platforming challenges. The other ones really aren't worth getting at all.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Neronium said:
Dragonbums said:
Yep, it's the coin frenzy game. That DLC is horribly overpriced for what it gives you in the game, and the only pack that is actually worth it is the Impossible Pack because it has some difficult platforming challenges. The other ones really aren't worth getting at all.
The thing about that though is more that the core game was shit as I understand it. The DLC was bad, but that was primarily because the core game was bad and any DLC you tried to build on it was going to be bad. While clearly not the fantastic deal of the Mario Kart 8 DLC, it didn't seem to be an excessive amount of money for the content delivered. It was just bad content.

Rayce Archer

Jun 26, 2014
This has been a problem forever. Sega releases 3 addons to the genesis = look at that stupid heap of boxes; Nintendo releases a gimped console with a little door where you can install the amount of ram it actually needs = "hey you should buy this for Perfect Dark." Hell, look at Pokemon- why make a lot one whole game when you can release it twice, incomplete? And people love talking about the confusion over Sony's portables, but where's the rancor over Nintendo releasing a marginally improved Game Boy every couple of months?

Ghostface2206

Apr 6, 2013
Hmmm you guys have actually made me view my feelings on the situation in a different light here, maybe I just don't know enough about dlc in general, maybe i'm just more annoyed by fanboys or something

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Ghostface2206 said:
Hmmm you guys have actually made me view my feelings on the situation in a different light here, maybe I just don't know enough about dlc in general, maybe i'm just more annoyed by fanboys or something
Believe me, it's common to be annoyed by fanboys. Hell, there are many fanboys on this site that make me not even want to call myself a Nintendo fan. Luckily a lot of them don't come around anymore. Basically they are the type of fans that think that Nintendo are the only ones who make good things, and anything made by anyone else is absolutely crap. They also tend to paint all 3rd parties as being bad, when they really mean just certain big publishers like EA and Ubisoft. They are the ones I hate the most, and part of me wants companies to fail in some endeavors sometimes just to hear them *****. XD

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Neronium said:
Ghostface2206 said:
Believe me, it's common to be annoyed by fanboys. Hell, there are many fanboys on this site that make me not even want to call myself a Nintendo fan. Luckily a lot of them don't come around anymore. Basically they are the type of fans that think that Nintendo are the only ones who make good things, and anything made by anyone else is absolutely crap. They also tend to paint all 3rd parties as being bad, when they really mean just certain big publishers like EA and Ubisoft. They are the ones I hate the most, and part of me wants companies to fail in some endeavors sometimes just to hear them *****. XD
I know I've certainly had my moments, but man...those Nintendo centric forums? They creep me out man. It's like...Miiverse...but on the internet...and cursing is allowed.

I don't know what it is. There are plenty of people there criticizing the company sure...but eck.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
you know what else bothers me about "When Nintendo do it"? Like after the reveal of the new open world Zelda game at E3 and everyone was creaming their pants like there'd never been an open world game where entry into different areas was possible from any angle or without loading screens before. That was just dumb.

Also DLC is fucking bullshit. FYI.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Dragonbums said:
I know I've certainly had my moments, but man...those Nintendo centric forums? They creep me out man. It's like...Miiverse...but on the internet...and cursing is allowed.

I don't know what it is. There are plenty of people there criticizing the company sure...but eck.
Oh no, I'm not referring to you if you thought that. No there are only a very small few people who are like that here. As for the "only one console"-oriented sites, yeah they all can get pretty damn bad. I remember a while back people were saying that the Escapist should separate the gaming forums to being for each console, but that's a terrible idea because it's those kinds of environments that breed those over-zealous fans. I mean hell, they are just companies, not some sort of personification of all that is good in the world.

Sean Renaud

Apr 12, 2011
I think the DLC for Mario Kart is brilliant and I've been looking forward to this sort of thing since they hinted that such a thing might be possible on the N64. (Nintendo Power suggested that the memory packs could eventually be sold with bonus content so you'd go to your toy store and pick up the DLC but same concept.) It's a lot of content, some of which I admitedly don't care about like the Animal Crossing people but more race courses is fine. I don't hate DLC, I hate necessary DLC. Holding back catwoman on Arkham City was mostly bullshit (I get they were trying to sell new copies but they went right out and cut a deal with Gamespot so they could get the DLC anyway. If you don't screw Gamespot with your anti-used game policy you don't have an anti-used game policy.)

I actually like costume packs. League of Legends has sold me on that, it's kinda perfect. It's 100% profit to the company, people who buy it used or get it from a friend can use it. And it's basically a way for us to say we appreciate you and if we don't want to at the moment we don't have to it doesn't hurt anything.

As for marginally better gameboys every few months I'm cool with that. There is no real reason to pick them up in general. There are five "real" ones. Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS. The others are mostly there because you want to have a Zelda logo or something. (The SP was a pretty necessary upgrade to the GBA though. Backlight for the fucking win!)

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Neronium said:
Ghostface2206 said:
Nintendo games are fun, but the only ones that make truly great games are Atlus and any of the games Xseed bring over. Forget the rest of them (said in the most sarcastic voice ever).

Oh I remember seeing those various posts before I decided to actually be a part of this forum. It was funny because of the hypocrites that would post. I remember some posts being that implied it was okay that Mario recycled game play, but not COD.

As for the news of being able to just pay $20 for all the DLC. It sounds like a pretty great deal, but I'll have to wait until I hear about the details, mainly the modes. But since it includes a few new characters and maps, as well as costumes, it sounds like a good deal already.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Mario Kart 8: 16 tracks and 4 racers for $12, $8 & $8 if bought separately. So it's $1/track with a free racer for each cup.
Tracks: 16
Racers: 4
Normal Cost: $8 X2 ($16)
*Season Pass: $12 and bonus color options

CoD: 4 MP maps and 1 Extinction map for $15. Even if you count the Extinction map as being worth 4 maps you end up $2/map. Times 4 since there were 4 map packs
MP Maps: 16
Game Modes: 1 with 4 maps
Weapons: 3
Normal Cost: $15 x4 ($60)
Season Pass: $50 and bonus skin

HW: Not evenly spread amongst the DLC packs (not counting costumes because not substantial)
Adventure Maps: 3
Game Modes: 2
Scenario: 1
Weapons: 3
Characters: 3
Estimated Normal Total: ~$28-$32
Season Pass: $20 + Skin
Free: Music Select, game mode, weapon, and 4 characters

Don't see how the flagship DLC game (CoD) is even close to value of the Nintendo DLC's. Mario Kart 8 gives the same number of maps, 4 racers in place of 3 weapons, and while not having an extra game mode, is a quarter of the cost. HW compared to CoD gives 1 more in weapon choice, two more game modes, 1/5th the maps (which are probably worth more individually considering the number of game modes lessening the value difference), 7 bonus characters (which would even out or reverse the map differential), and extra scenario for less than half the cost.

So yeah, Nintendo's DLC plan is very much better than just about every non-free DLC put out by major publishers.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
The HW DLC is mostly character skins which considering the characters are worth about 1 XBOX Minecraft skin is a LOT better than other DLC options out there. There was also a big complaint about PW:DD getting DLC, and that added an entirely new case and was amazing, and I believe that was a $10.00 DLC, released on Day One.

As for Smash Bros. DLC, none of that is confirmed. It's mostly just butthurt Ice Climbers fans wanting their Ice Climbers plug because that's the only character they learned how to play and are now up a crik without a pattle.