Ghost of Sushi Gameplay Reveal

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Sony dedicated a full State of Play presentation to the upcoming Sekiro, Nioh, samurai gameplay featuring the long awaited Ghost of Tsushima (i probably spelled that wrong and I don't care enough to look it up, also I can't see the title of the video in the text box of making a thread)

It's always strange to me when people hype up something before they ever get to see anything about the game. Hype for this game began just because it's a samuari game I guess and apparently that was enough. Anyway this gameplay demonstration seems interesting enough. Definitely going to be a much different game than Sekiro or nioh which is probably a good thing. You can pet foxes, and cut people so I guess that's all the gameplay needs to be.

But to be honest, i think this game is going to be a miss for me (that's a lie i buy every AAA game because I'm a fucking idiot). Or at least to me it looks rather dull. The Exploration they shows felt like long stretches of nothing, the combat looks slow and dull without the tense danger you get from a game that benefits from slow combat. It feels like they couldn't decide on whether to be Assassin's Creed, or Sekiro and instead are trying to be both? I don't know, it all seems very weird to me and I don't get the sense that they ever had a solid basis for what they wanted the game to be except "We are making a samurai game".

It just looks very unfocused, and maybe that's because it's just a trailer, but you'd think they would have hype moments somewhere in the 18 minutes of footage right?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Well it looks very Assassin's Creedy for sure. Lots of people bring up "feudal Japan" whenever discussing the new possible AC so that's just as well, though I fail to see a unique selling point other than its theme. At least we got actual gameplay from this trailer.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well it looks very Assassin's Creedy for sure. Lots of people bring up "feudal Japan" whenever discussing the new possible AC so that's just as well, though I fail to see a unique selling point other than its theme. At least we got actual gameplay from this trailer.
Looks like a better AC game than anything Ubisoft pumps out nearly every year. I'm interested and invested. I noticed they got a similar stance system like Ni-Oh. Keep it up Sucker Punch. I'm definitely switching it to Japanese voice acting on a first playthough.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
It looks pretty derivative if I'm being honest (because it does indeed seem to be taking a lot of cues from Assassin's Creed: Origins/Odyssey though the 'warrior' style combat does look better, haven't played either Nioh or Sekiro, so can't comment on their influences), but that isn't necessarily bad. Looks pretty good so far, I'll be getting it at some point, definitely.

Will say though that as a colour blind person, I like the inclusion of a B/W mode. Also really digging the soundtrack and hope it is representative.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Looks like a better AC game than anything Ubisoft pumps out nearly every year. I'm interested and invested. I noticed they got a similar stance system like Ni-Oh. Keep it up Sucker Punch. I'm definitely switching it to Japanese voice acting on a first playthough.

Yeah, but the stance popup mentions its just bonus damage vs whatever enemy type.

ITs worded differently, but everything in that combat just looks like the same timed button press to parry/reverse/counter kill/etc straight out of your AC/Arkham combat.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
ITs worded differently, but everything in that combat just looks like the same timed button press to parry/reverse/counter kill/etc straight out of your AC/Arkham combat.
Thankfully, I never played any other games that copied Arkham's combat, and stopped playing AC since Brotherhood, so I'm not bothered by it. As they reveal more about the combat, I will see if it's worth it. Even if it is derivative, I can always go for another samurai game. I said this back on the old site, we're in a samurai/ninja game golden age. I am taking all I can get.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
It definitely looks interesting. To me, the key with exploration isn't giving the player a reward for exploring but having the player want to see what's over there or around the next corner. I loved exploring in Horizon or Shadow of the Colossus and I knew I wasn't going to find some legendary orange colored gear, it was because I just wanted to see it all. And, Ghosts looks like that can happen here as well and the fact that it looks so vibrant and colorful doesn't hurt. I'm still not sold on the combat, I really want to know exactly how the duels and action combat work. The stealth seems pretty on point.

Yeah, but the stance popup mentions its just bonus damage vs whatever enemy type.

I hope it's not just timed button presses. The thought that popped into my head on how to do it in an interesting way (which I saw no evidence of in the video) is that you have to pay attention to the enemy so you're in the right stance to be able to counter the attack properly. Like say there's 3 stances and each stance has 3 moves or whatever and you have to read the enemy to know which stance, then also know which move in that stance as well. That would be an interesting combat system more based on visual knowledge vs just pressing a button at the right time.

It just looks very unfocused, and maybe that's because it's just a trailer, but you'd think they would have hype moments somewhere in the 18 minutes of footage right?
That's what I want from gameplay walkthroughs, I want to know what the moment-to-moment gameplay is like vs just the cool shit because the former is 90+% of the game.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yeah, getting some serious Assassins Creed Odyssey flashbacks here, with a hint of Horizon Zero Dawn as well. I'm not saying it's bad by any means but it looks fairly derivative of stuff that's already out there based on this video.

I'm hoping the actual game is a lot more interesting/compelling.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Ghost of Sushi?

Cripes, I knew all the sushi I ate would come back to get me one of these days.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I don't wanna spoil this game cause it has awesome themes right up my alley so I just watched a tiny bit of the trailer, listened to the awesome music while this guy whistles for Eponamaru and clicked off, I just wanna say I hope it's anywhere near as authentic-feeling as Sekiro was and I have high hopes but I'm noping the hell out of spoilers lol.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Hmmm..I really like it to be honest. Sekiro and Nioh are among my most favorite games this gen but they are non-stop difficult action whereas Sushi looks more tranquil. I also really like the clear image; no mini map so attention on the beautiful scenery with the wind guiding you and material gathering also seems really smooth and unobtrusive. From and Team Ninja are masters of their craft when it comes to combat so I wouldn't really compare it directly to Sushi but on it's own merits I think the game has a lot of appeal despite it's familiar AAA design template.

Definitely looking forward to this one. Also can't get enough of that aesthetic and samurai atmosphere.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, this is what it generally looks like when you show gameplay of a game. Even the most hype games will look pretty dry when it's just showing someone walking around and killing a couple of enemies. And Sucker Punch has already previously showed three cinematic trailers meant to hype up the setting; this was simply meant to give you straight-up gameplay. Also, Sucker Punch has always been less - in the words of Yahtzee- a squeeky wheel, not trying to oversell things and simply just presenting us with the game.

If they can bring the same level of fun and versatility to this as they brought to Infamous 1 and 2 that'd be great, but some of the Ubisoft tropes did make me squirm a bit. Particularly the stealth indicator. I'm so tired of seeing that thing and I wish they'd have choosen some other way to highlight enemy awareness. For example how they made tracking map markers the wind was pretty neat. It's something different, doesn't obstruct the visuals, and keeps you in the gameworld. The way you dispatch enemies however feels a bit too.. I don't know if 'easy' is the right word, but too impersonal, I guess, for what is a samurai/ninja game where you don't play someone who is superhuman. Especially since games like The Last of Us, God of War '18, and Horizon: Zero Dawn gave nearly every enemy a real presence and made every combat encounter feel scrappy and hectic.

But nevertheless I'm really looking forward to this. The setting feels fresh, it's a new IP, and I just want to see what Sucker Punch can do with this thing.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Open World Samurai Game is all I ever expected from Ghost of Tsushima and they delivered on that, so I'm pretty excited for the game 🤷

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
The overall gameplay and combat seem a bit too derivative of stuff I don't really like, but the setting and premise are unique and interesting enough that I'm sure I'll end up buying this. Ever since I played Medieval II I've wanted an action game with the Mongolian Empire to fight against. I hope this game actually makes them threatening.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Thoughts before watching: "Nought better to do I
suppose..."

Thoughts after watching: "Foliage!"

It is mildly concerning how easily impressed by foliage I am.
And this is just Assassin's Creed.
But I like assassin's creed.

And foliage.

*Sigh*

So much foliage.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
For exploration I’m liking...

-The use of wind as a gameplay device. I’m already on elevated hype levels with Fujin’s reveal in MK11, but this is an altogether different angle which will hopefully yield interesting.

-The use of nature as a gameplay device. Having birds and foxes that will lead you to things is cool as long as it’s not overused.

-Automatic looting while on horseback. Really streamlines it from something like Horizon: Zero Dawn or RDR2, where you have to deliberately stop and perform the act (no matter how cool it looks for your horse to grab the vegetation with its teeth and pass it off to you in the latter). It will be appreciated in open world design.

-The landscapes and lighting, especially at the Golden Summit Shrine with all the yellow leaves. I’m getting some IU’s of Vit D just looking at it.

Not liking...

-It’s another open world game. That pretty much ties into my other dislikes in regards to looting, crafting, and all the other busy work that seems to go hand-in-hand with open world design.

For combat, I’m liking...

-Stances being a thing, along with precision over pure hack n slash stuff.

-Stealth looks handy.

-Gear/armor usage that’s specific to your approach.

-Executions, and that vulnerable enemies seem to react appropriately to your presence as an executioner.

Not liking...

-Some of the enemy responses and rag dolls during normal kills, in that they’re often either lacking or seem to be canned animations but perhaps that’s not the full picture. Also there’s lots of blood but no real physical damage. Sure, that’s the case with lots of these kinds of games but there’s less and less excuse for it when it’s certainly possible to have flying body parts where appropriate.

-Overuse of slow motion effects. Yeah we get it, it looks cool and zeroes in on the action, but it also kills the pace of battle.

Customization looks pretty typical of these types of games, but aside from the up front purpose of combat if it can tie into the game’s themes and lore in meaningful ways it might stand out.

Also this could be the best photo mode I’ve seen in a game. The motion photos in particular fit the vibrant living quality the game has perfectly.

I also like the Zelda reference for Epona. Actually even that’s a reference to a Celtic goddess, with the name simply meaning “on horse” apparently.

But perhaps most importantly is that the game seems to be a passion project for the developer, which is evidenced not only by the Japanese voice track which is pretty essential, but the Samurai Cinema stuff.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I don't wanna spoil this game cause it has awesome themes right up my alley so I just watched a tiny bit of the trailer, listened to the awesome music while this guy whistles for Eponamaru and clicked off, I just wanna say I hope it's anywhere near as authentic-feeling as Sekiro was and I have high hopes but I'm noping the hell out of spoilers lol.
Sekiro felt like it had more character, to be honest, though I would be happy to be proven wrong. Granted, Sekiro was basically Ninja Souls with a grapple/swiss army arm, but despite some of the nutso difficulty spikes(SSI can suck it hard) it did it's job very well.

However, I'm not going to hold it not being Sekiro against it. I'd much rather it be something other then Not-Ubisoft in Japan.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Sekiro felt like it had more character, to be honest, though I would be happy to be proven wrong. Granted, Sekiro was basically Ninja Souls with a grapple/swiss army arm, but despite some of the nutso difficulty spikes(SSI can suck it hard) it did it's job very well.

However, I'm not going to hold it not being Sekiro against it. I'd much rather it be something other then Not-Ubisoft in Japan.
I definitely don't expect it to match Sekiro but going in that general direction is good enough. Souls meets Tenchu meets DMC is hard to beat but an authentic-feeling world and hype battles with atmospheric music is what I want out of these. I'm expecting this to be more grounded and realistic than Sekiro.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I definitely don't expect it to match Sekiro but going in that general direction is good enough. Souls meets Tenchu meets DMC is hard to beat but an authentic-feeling world and hype battles with atmospheric music is what I want out of these. I'm expecting this to be more grounded and realistic than Sekiro.
Considering Sekiro is pretty heavy on the Fantasy side of things, I kinda figured GoT would be a little more grounded.

While I've never been there, I'm assuming Japan doesn't actually have massive Albino Snakes and Apes the size of King Kong IRL.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Considering Sekiro is pretty heavy on the Fantasy side of things, I kinda figured GoT would be a little more grounded.

While I've never been there, I'm assuming Japan doesn't actually have massive Albino Snakes and Apes the size of King Kong IRL.
See, the snake especially comes off like a folkloric element that feels authentic while also being very fantastical so you can kinda see it fitting with everything around it like an old painting coming to life. Harambe was prolly enlarged by the immortality juice that kept him alive after he had a sword stabbed into his neck so he likely wasn't an endemic species. The other monkeys you fight are more realistic.