Ghostbusters Director Calls Out "Assholes in Geek Culture"

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
ravenshrike said:
NoeL said:
He's absolutely right, and you don't have to look further than this very thread to see it.

Feig: God, these geeks that have been all over me since before the casting for making a female Ghostbusters movie are real assholes.
Responders: Well you shouldn't have made a shit trailer!

Oh come off it. AS IF he's referring solely to the trailer's reaction. He's been getting shit from geeks for "ruining" Ghostbusters from the very beginning, and he's absolutely right that those geeks are assholes.
Just because those geeks in question saw the mile tall writing eternally on fire on the side of the mountain before the trailer came out does not make them assholes. This baby was always gonna suck with Feig at the helm, the fact he went with a genderbent reboot just made it suck that much harder. The only director that would make it worse is Uwe Boll.
I may be a terrible person, but I would much rather have seen what Uwe Boll would do with the property than Feig.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
FirstNameLastName said:
No such thing has happened. Despite what I said, I'm not going to pay to see it, nor am I going to waste my time even pirating it. I described the movies as a "dumpster fire of cringe", and I stand by that, I simply think it would be amusing to see this film succeed because the absurd, over the top hatred for it has reached the point that despite finding the movie a complete pile of shit banking on nostalgia and gender politics, I somehow dislike the creators less than the people who have an almost religious devotion to being upset over it.
I was actually on board with rolling my eyes at this movie right from the gimmicky sounding concept, but over time I've grown to resent the hatedom around this movie for their over the top reaction.

I can assure you my schadenfreude over this situation has nothing to do with the politics involved, and is simply about being absolutely sick of people within "geek culture" taking this type of thing so fucking seriously. It's not as if most of these people were just waiting for a new Ghostbusters movie and are disappointed over the results; most of the people who are mad about this seem to think the franchise should stay dead.
I get it, we're all part of geek culture whether we like that label or not, and we probably all take videogames/movies/comics/whatever too seriously sometimes, but this entire thing is giving me flashbacks of the whole ME3 ending; yet another example of people taking things way too far.
OK then, I stand corrected on that score.

The rest of your elaboration reminds me of something that I was kind of dismayed to observe happening in myself once, a while back. In 2003, I was very much of the opinion that the proposed US invasion of Iraq was an absolutely disastrous idea, but at the same time, I was totally resigned to the fact that it was going to happen, no matter what. Then I happened to find myself stuck in traffic because of a protest against the invasion, in an uninvolved country that wasn't going to be in on the war. As I sat there watching the protesters, they just struck me as kids out having a good time, laughing and yelling with their friends because they had the power to stop traffic that day. Like they fully understood the futility of the gesture, but were determined to get everything out of making it anyway. And I came really, really close to just snapping and getting out and yelling at them to get their fucking hippy asses out of the way so I could get to whatever important place I was going to that day. And never mind that I was actually in agreement with them on the issue at hand. Or even that I myself looked more hippyish than those kids.

You can take that as you will. To me, it was a learning experience about our tendency to react with contempt when confronted with blatant displays of futility. It's certainly something that can be taken advantage of, simply by refusing to acknowledge the substance of criticism people are trying to articulate with varying success, making them increasingly shrill and insistent. After all, we've all been sold on the idea that the magic of the Internet will allow Our Voice to be heard, and it will matter somehow.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Gorrath said:
ravenshrike said:
NoeL said:
He's absolutely right, and you don't have to look further than this very thread to see it.

Feig: God, these geeks that have been all over me since before the casting for making a female Ghostbusters movie are real assholes.
Responders: Well you shouldn't have made a shit trailer!

Oh come off it. AS IF he's referring solely to the trailer's reaction. He's been getting shit from geeks for "ruining" Ghostbusters from the very beginning, and he's absolutely right that those geeks are assholes.
Just because those geeks in question saw the mile tall writing eternally on fire on the side of the mountain before the trailer came out does not make them assholes. This baby was always gonna suck with Feig at the helm, the fact he went with a genderbent reboot just made it suck that much harder. The only director that would make it worse is Uwe Boll.
I may be a terrible person, but I would much rather have seen what Uwe Boll would do with the property than Feig.
At least it would be a 50\50 chance of being so terrible that's good. As for the new Ghostbusters... I won't be seeing it. Instead gonna grab my popcorn and watch the internet torn itself apart over it.

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
Maybe it's getting so much crap because it looks like the equivalent of Adam Sandler remaking Back to the Future.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Ah, yes, the old, "You don't like X, therefore you're Y, Z, B, D and every other insult I can think of".

He just comes across as being bitter that his crappy movie is going to flop.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Ahh yes, the im going to cause a big scene so it blows up and people inadvertently advertise my movie for me market tactic. How utterly quaint.

Nilanius

Apr 6, 2009
Here is my thoughts. First, I can't say if the film itself will be good or bad. Did I like the trailer? Nope. Why? Because for one, it seemed to reveal too much of the plot. That trailer could of been broken down into 3 smaller trailers, and probably would not of gotten as much heat on the film.

Second though, he's not wrong, there most definitely does appear to be a campaign to downvote. Look at the comments section of the video. People saying they came in, paused and only downvoted. Feig's response though wasn't the right way to handle it. If he truly wanted to shut the trolls down, he could of simply disabled voting and comments, and bam, the trolls would have no where else to go.

But my final thoughts, The assholes he spoke of, they make themselves look petty and childish. But his calling them out, has not helped his image either.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Gotta love the damage control that this director has been sent out to spearhead

Everyone knows the movie looks like crap - the comedic timing was flatter than slashed tires, and the overall tone of the trailer was a nasty detour from how the original movies worked.

...but no, its just evil geek culture. It's not the movie's fault, nope nope nope.

Bloody hell.

Even if what he's complaining over is people talking shit about him for directing it - well, what did you expect, directing what looks to be a shit movie that disrespects a beloved nostalgic IP? Especially when you're doubling down on not admitting that the trailer looks bad.

Can't this thing just come out, so it can bomb and we can be over with it?

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Seems kinda funny seeing people who would be classed as 'Geek culture' be all like 'OH YES GEEKS DO HAVE A PROBLEM IT'S TERRIBLE HOW PRIMITIVE. THOSE BLASTED MRA'S/SJWS *adjusts monocle*' I'm not even sure what Geek Culture is really, especially given the popularity of things like The Big Bang Theory, Superman, or... well, anything. Worst still is comparisons saying that the 'Angry Geeks' are simply those Red Pillers or Tumblrites or whatever the popular words are nowadays.

Really isn't it just assholes? The love of things (especially something like Ghostbusters which every man and their dog knows of) is just so nebulous you can't really blame a group.
Just complain that people don't like your movie, have some... I don't even know the word. I didn't like the trailer because it seems like everyday Hollywood guff. Pretty sure I haven't even watched Ghostbusters, or at least I don't remember.

God damn when did everything get so tribalistic? When did everyone think they were above it all?

Ah, no, that second one is easy. Nobody thinks they're wrong after all.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
And people's first reaction is to...engage in the exact thing he's railing on them for. It's times like this where it's clear geek culture needs to be burned to the ground and rebuilt like a controlled forest fire.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Something I find funny is so many people think that "geek" culture is one of the ones filled with the most assholes versus any other kind of culture. I'd heavily disagree, there are assholes everywhere, we're just in geek culture ourselves so we're more likely to run into those assholes than anywhere else.

To go along with that, what exactly is geek culture? Is it just people who are adamantly excited about the things they like to do that they "geek out" about it? Then using the term geek culture is like saying people who eat meat culture, it's just so broad and has no meaning at this point. Of course anyone that geeks out about something is liable to get bitter quickly if you mess with their stuff. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's what happens.

As for what he said specifically about the movie, all he said to any criticism was "it's my job to know what's funny, trust me, this is hilarious." If you find it funny, good for you. I think it looks like hot shit.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Zhukov said:
Never forget that we inhabit a world upon which Paul Blart: Mall Cop made serious bank.
I never knew how much money it made. Now I'm depressed.

Casual Shinji said:
What exactly does that have to do with your Ghostbusters remake/reboot looking like right garbage?
It might have to do with the hissyfit that was being thrown before a single actor, a single frame of footage, or the trailer came out. Weirdly enough, the controversy started when the word "female" was uttered.

It might have to do with the systemic way this movie has come under fire, heavier than any other "hated" or "garbage" movie has. See below.
Adam Jensen said:
So it's the geek culture? Yeah, it totally doesn't have a thing to do with the fact that you can see from the trailer what a giant piece of shit this movie's going to be. I'm not even a hardcore Ghostbusters fan and it's that obvious.
Right. So why didn't Amazing Spider-Man get such a reaction? AMS2? Man of Steel? Batman v Superman? Green Lantern? Fantastic 4?

Most of those trailers are sitting at over 90% approval ratings on YouTube.

I think we can rule out "this movie is garbage" as the specific reason that there's a campaign to downvote it and there's been so many outraged guys. It shouldn't be hard to figure out why people are ruling this rather transparent excuse out.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oh deary me, Steven, forever baiting fanboy rage. What commission comes with the clicks and comments?
I'll leave the salt for everyone else to conflate their heart palpitations with. *head-desk*

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Makes a passionless shitty movie with a shit trailer based on a well beloved franchise and then claims that the people calling it out are assholes...yeah seems legit

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
klaynexas3 said:
Something I find funny is so many people think that "geek" culture is one of the ones filled with the most assholes versus any other kind of culture.
Possibly because you don't see other groups freak out and react like this. And yet, it's (now un)surprisingly common to see here. Especially now that we have a "censorship" nontroversy every week. Just maybe there's a reason people single out "geek" culture.

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
Being an asshole doesn't make me wrong, doesn't make me right either but when you start with a movie that most people grew up with and still holds up very well outside of the nostalgia crowd and you replace it with bottom of the barrel no effort jokes and pop culture parody something the original movie never needed, you replace amazing practical effects that still hold up with no-effort cgi that looks bad for 10 years ago, you do not get my money, to get my money by making a good movie all other considerations are secondary, I do not care who the star is if the product is quality.