Ghosts of Tsushima Review thread

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
We haven't really heard much good about it have we? No price yet, supposedly less powerful hardware, and iffy on backwards compatibility. It's just a feeling really. The situation seems exactly what happened to Microsoft. Had a great run with the 360, got complacent, then shit the bed for the Xbone.
Microsoft had the more powerful hardware this generation with the Xbox one. More powerful doesn't mean shit. Microsoft might have backwards compatability but that's because they NEED it because they haven't had shit for exclusives since the 360, so of course they are going to brag about having it as it is the only selling point they have.

Sony so far has put emphasis on the speed of their loading times and shown off a swath of upcoming exclusives for the system. Basically Sony is focusing on the future and Microsoft is stuck on their past.

If the PS5 turns out to not be backwards compatible, I don't think it'll end up being that big of a deal, because my launch PS4 still works perfectly well.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
We haven't really heard much good about it have we? No price yet, supposedly less powerful hardware, and iffy on backwards compatibility. It's just a feeling really. The situation seems exactly what happened to Microsoft. Had a great run with the 360, got complacent, then shit the bed for the Xbone.
"Great run." Is that what we're calling 50% of 360s getting the RRoD?
If the PS5 turns out to not be backwards compatible, I don't think it'll end up being that big of a deal, because my launch PS4 still works perfectly well.
I think it will be a big deal because I started picking up ps4 games cheap and if there's no backwards compatibility I'll have nothing to play them on

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
I think it will be a big deal because I started picking up ps4 games cheap and if there's no backwards compatibility I'll have nothing to play them on
Not to be condescending, but I think the problem there would be you buying PS4 games without owning a PS4.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
You can also just attack in the direction of the enemy in SoulsBorne. The lock-on is mostly there to keep the enemy centered in front of you so you don’t have to keep reorienting. I wish the camera was more adjustable though which would help alleviate the need for it.

I still have hope for Wild. I never thought The Last Guardian was going to come out. Still haven’t played that yet either.
I know you can just attack in the direction of the enemy, the option being there doesn't make it a good way of attacking though. There's a reason why everyone wore the Ring of Fog in DS1 and it was nerfed in a patch.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Microsoft had the more powerful hardware this generation with the Xbox one. More powerful doesn't mean shit. Microsoft might have backwards compatability but that's because they NEED it because they haven't had shit for exclusives since the 360, so of course they are going to brag about having it as it is the only selling point they have.

Sony so far has put emphasis on the speed of their loading times and shown off a swath of upcoming exclusives for the system. Basically Sony is focusing on the future and Microsoft is stuck on their past.

The Xbone was more powerful? That's really not how this gen felt... Console wars felt so long ago, I've forgotten all the comparisons.

But for me, I don't think I'd compromise on backwards compatibility. Keeping two consoles connected to your TV sounds ridiculous, but then I do share a TV and rarely still play games on it. It's not like I want the PS5 to fuck up, I've been a Sony Pony basically my whole life. I'll be more than happy if they continue their streak. But they haven't showed off anything that has made the PS5 a must have for me yet.

"Great run." Is that what we're calling 50% of 360s getting the RRoD?
An initial "great run" then. I don't think its a stretch to say that the 360 defined its generation of consoles. I didn't hear much about the RRoDs back then, it's Sony territory where I live, but I honestly can't believe that Microsoft actually managed to survice that fiasco. Which I think proves my point a bit.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I know you can just attack in the direction of the enemy, the option being there doesn't make it a good way of attacking though. There's a reason why everyone wore the Ring of Fog in DS1 and it was nerfed in a patch.
That’s news to me. I pretty much forgot about it until I read it was only in that game. Never missed it from later installments. Apparently it was nerfed because people couldn’t lock on or target anyone wearing it.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
The Xbone was more powerful? That's really not how this gen felt... Console wars felt so long ago, I've forgotten all the comparisons.

But for me, I don't think I'd compromise on backwards compatibility. Keeping two consoles connected to your TV sounds ridiculous, but then I do share a TV and rarely still play games on it. It's not like I want the PS5 to fuck up, I've been a Sony Pony basically my whole life. I'll be more than happy if they continue their streak. But they haven't showed off anything that has made the PS5 a must have for me yet.

An initial "great run" then. I don't think its a stretch to say that the 360 defined its generation of consoles. I didn't hear much about the RRoDs back then, it's Sony territory where I live, but I honestly can't believe that Microsoft actually managed to survice that fiasco. Which I think proves my point a bit.

They survived because they’re made of money. The billion dollar settlement was barely a speed bump, and mostly done to salvage face. Basically enough for them to say, “Yeah, that year head start probably won’t be worth it again if our hardware is shit.”

The consoles not having killer apps the first couple years works out well twofold imo, because it gives people a longer chance to catch up in games from the previous gen and by that time the kinks are ironed out of the hardware. The Slim line is prime time for next gen adoption.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
That’s news to me. I pretty much forgot about it until I read it was only in that game. Never missed it from later installments. Apparently it was nerfed because people couldn’t lock on or target anyone wearing it.
That's the point, if attacking someone by just pointing in their direction was as good or better than locking on, then no one would've used it or cared in the first place.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That's the point, if attacking someone by just pointing in their direction was as good or better than locking on, then no one would've used it or cared in the first place.
People used it because it made them nearly undetectable. It was patched because it created an imbalance in the game, where a major combat feature was essentially nullified for anyone who didn’t wear it. A lock on may not be perfect, but it allows the full use of all buttons while engaging an opponent head-on and free twirly movement is still only a click away if one so chooses. Small compromise for the age of handing full camera control over to the player in 3D environments.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Finally releases tomorrow. Can't wait to play it.A few timesI thought the game was scrapped because of long silence but nope. It's real and finally here. I have it preloaded and ready to goooo.

It would be more convenient to have everything on one system. Saves on space and the hassle of replacing old consoles if they break. Quite a few games on PS4 I'm very fond of. I would love so much if your digital libraries could simply carry over.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I am very interested in this game, but I'm still working my way through a From Software kick. Maybe once I finally get through Sekiro I'll get this one to compare and contrast. I know they're not really that similar besides both being set in medieval Japan, but that hasn't stopped everyone else from making the comparisons between the two games, or Sekiro with Nioh before it.

"Nioh is a Dark Souls game by Team Ninja. Sekiro is a Ninja Gaiden game by From Software." is probably the best take I heard on that end, but that's off-topic. They were both great, so I'm hoping that Tsushima is as good as those two.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
"Nioh is a Dark Souls game by Team Ninja. Sekiro is a Ninja Gaiden game by From Software." is probably the best take I heard on that end, but that's off-topic. They were both great, so I'm hoping that Tsushima is as good as those two.
I played both Nioh's and Sekiro extensively and they are among my most favorite games but any similarities really don't go beyond surface level. Nioh plays absolutely nothing like Dark Souls and Sekiro plays nothing like Nioh. You could still categorize Nioh and Sekiro as 'niche' Japanese action games but Tsushima drifts even further off being this mainstream AAA open world title.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrCalavera

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I played both Nioh's and Sekiro extensively and they are among my most favorite games but any similarities really don't go beyond surface level. Nioh plays absolutely nothing like Dark Souls and Sekiro plays nothing like Nioh. You could still categorize Nioh and Sekiro as 'niche' Japanese action games but Tsushima drifts even further off being this mainstream AAA open world title.
Hmm. Heck, Tsushima isn't even made by a Japanese developer. Doesn't change that much, I'm still interested in it, but probably going to wait a little while since I've still got a lot of games to work through.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You could still categorize Nioh and Sekiro as 'niche' Japanese action games but Tsushima drifts even further off being this mainstream AAA open world title.
You also seemed to forget or not know about the thread I put up on the V1 board. It was about 2019-2020 being the return of samurai/ninja games. Nioh 1 & 2, Sekiro, Samurai Showdown, and Ghosts of Tsushima. There is another ninja game that looks to be going in the Sekiro direction called Naraka Blade Point. It is supposed to be coming out next year.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
People used it because it made them nearly undetectable. It was patched because it created an imbalance in the game, where a major combat feature was essentially nullified for anyone who didn’t wear it. A lock on may not be perfect, but it allows the full use of all buttons while engaging an opponent head-on and free twirly movement is still only a click away if one so chooses. Small compromise for the age of handing full camera control over to the player in 3D environments.
It made them like the semi-invisible guys in the forest, which hardly makes them undetectable. The human eye is great a catching something moving, I've played online games where there's stealth camouflage and people crunch walk around like other players can't see them and you can see them across the whole map, they're such easy kills. Also the fact that once the ability to not be locked on to was patched out, then nobody used it basically proves the point. Games like say Dragon's Dogma to all the way up to Bayonetta, you can fight perfectly fine without any lock-on whatsoever. Souls or Sekiro doesn't control near good enough without lock-on to play well enough to properly fight groups of enemies.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Keeping myself in the dark about this game as much as possible. I don't really play many of the general open world games like Assassin's creed or what have you, I think the last game I played like that was Nier, which still has a huge emphasis on story. That being the case I don't worry that those elements will feel overdone in this game. It's good to hear that people seem to be enjoying it though. I don't expect this to beat Sekiro in atmosphere or challenge but it doesn't have to, since it's a samurai game and not a ninja game, ninja games are always cooler but samurai games have their soul that you can't not love as well.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
From what I have seen it is something I do want to pick up and give a shot. Honestly I just saw some combine the lauch trailer with Them Changes by Thundercat and I would of bought this game day one if that was case.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It made them like the semi-invisible guys in the forest, which hardly makes them undetectable. The human eye is great a catching something moving, I've played online games where there's stealth camouflage and people crunch walk around like other players can't see them and you can see them across the whole map, they're such easy kills. Also the fact that once the ability to not be locked on to was patched out, then nobody used it basically proves the point. Games like say Dragon's Dogma to all the way up to Bayonetta, you can fight perfectly fine without any lock-on whatsoever. Souls or Sekiro doesn't control near good enough without lock-on to play well enough to properly fight groups of enemies.

Well to me I don’t know why anyone would bother using it for PVP in the first place. It worked well for the general PVE, but most serious PVP’ers wouldn’t waste a precious slot on it. Does it even hide the player info? I don’t really even care enough to look.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Well to me I don’t know why anyone would bother using it for PVP in the first place. It worked well for the general PVE, but most serious PVP’ers wouldn’t waste a precious slot on it. Does it even hide the player info? I don’t really even care enough to look.
I only knew about it because that patch dropped when I started playing the game, I never did PvP myself though. You can look back at comments/threads to see how people hated the ring. The point is lock-on makes fighting easier (and changes controls as well) and Souls combat doesn't work very well without it. Why do people even lock-on if not locking on is just as good or better? I don't have any trouble targeting enemies / fighting in groups in games with better combat like aforementioned Dragon's Dogma or Bayo nor do I have any issue targeting specific enemies in the Batman games (doing the one-hit kill takedown moves against the more dangerous ones for example) when there's like 20 of them at a time.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Does anyone know why it's getting bad reviews by some critics?