Gina Carano Fired From “The Mandalorian” Over “Abhorrent” Social Media Posts

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
No, we shouldn't fire people before a case is settled, and I am more saying this towards Disney, and the unforgiving, premature, and preemptive cancel culture of social liberals.
I would say that is VERY dependent on the case. Eg. You’re suggesting Harvey Weinstein, Larry Nassar and Bill Cosby could have worked up right until they were convicted. I would strongly disagree with this. Especially Nasssar

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Things happen in the service of themes. Boiling it down, the movie contradicts itself on the themes of duty, obedience, heroism, leadership, etc. Good vs. evil, old vs. new, adherence vs. change. What's important, what isn't? The movie has a very fickle grasp on the development of the story, especially when you compare it to the next movie.

Last Jedi was a bold freefall into nothing; Rise of Skywalker is the pilot dashing to the controls and making up for lost time while pretending the flight is going according to plan.

And yes, the military tactics are ridiculous.
Thinking on it, the only thing they were really consistent about is that certain people are inherently better than others because of their families.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Thinking on it, the only thing they were really consistent about is that certain people are inherently better than others because of their families.
What do you expect from a film made by a guy whose parents were successful TV producers?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I mean, The Last Jedi very much tried to Not Be That.
In that film, only one person was explicitly stated to be important despite their parents being nobodies, with 3 others being important because of their bloodlines.

OTOH, yeah, the person who made that decision discussed it, and ok, looks like they genuinely tried, have to give them that. But the next film underdoes that, people born to Jedi/Sith are just better than you.

Hey, if Palpatine is implied to have created Anakin via The Force, as some people say (and is thus kinda his dad), is there an incesty thing going on?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
In that film, only one person was explicitly stated to be important despite their parents being nobodies, with 3 others being important because of their bloodlines.

OTOH, yeah, the person who made that decision discussed it, and ok, looks like they genuinely tried, have to give them that. But the next film underdoes that, people born to Jedi/Sith are just better than you.

Hey, if Palpatine is implied to have created Anakin via The Force, as some people say (and is thus kinda his dad), is there an incesty thing going on?
This is why I wasn't sad when Disney nuked the EU stuff.

EDIT: Okay, like actual answer. TLJ couldn't just ignore that Luke, Leia, and Kylo *existed*. That was set up by TFA

As was "ignoring a galaxy war and genocide by a powerful Sith Lord and Darth Nephew, the Resistance of to which is led by his divorced(?) sister while his best friend is...slumming it?" Luke, mysteriously hanging out on his island for reasons.

JJ was really the wrong choice as a scriptwriter

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
This is why I wasn't sad when Disney nuked the EU stuff.

EDIT: Okay, like actual answer. TLJ couldn't just ignore that Luke, Leia, and Kylo *existed*. That was set up by TFA

As was "ignoring a galaxy war and genocide by a powerful Sith Lord and Darth Nephew, the Resistance of to which is led by his divorced(?) sister while his best friend is...slumming it?" Luke, mysteriously hanging out on his island for reasons.

JJ was really the wrong choice as a scriptwriter
He's hang out because that's what Obi did while an Empire genocided people. It was meant to catch that old Star Wars magic... and it failed

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Just watched Prometheus and am now watching Alien: Covenant, and it got me wondering, why are people so angry about how bad the later Star Wars films are (and they are bad), but other sci-fi old franchises like Aliens with bad later films (and they also are bad) doesn't seem to get the same vitriol?

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Just watched Prometheus and am now watching Alien: Covenant, and it got me wondering, why are people so angry about how bad the later Star Wars films are (and they are bad), but other sci-fi old franchises like Aliens with bad later films (and they also are bad) doesn't seem to get the same vitriol?
Oh no it does, people HATED those two movies. The difference is, I think, that Aliens has always been an adult franchise, and star wars is a family one, so more people see it. Also Star Wars simply has a bigger IP and is a better fantasy setting for people to imagine being in. No one is sitting around like "Oh boy I wish I was a scientist on a WaylandYutani mission that finds proto-Xenomorphs." but plenty are sitting around wishing to be a magic space wizard with a laser sword.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
It never ceases to astound me that so many people thinking shunning shitty people is a new phenomenon. As if this isn't something we've been doing for thousands of years already.
To be fair I think that its more certain people are used to being the shunner, not the shunnie. Historically conservatives in the US have been very good at shunning blacks, Jews, gays, Muslims, trans, liberals, Indians, native Americans, and now suddenly they're being held to account of their shitty beliefs and its throwing them for a loop. The scripts have been reversed and suddenly they don't want to play anymore.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
To be fair I think that its more certain people are used to being the shunner, not the shunnie. Historically conservatives in the US have been very good at shunning blacks, Jews, gays, Muslims, trans, liberals, Indians, native Americans, and now suddenly they're being held to account of their shitty beliefs and its throwing them for a loop. The scripts have been reversed and suddenly they don't want to play anymore.
Bingo. This isn't new, it's just that the people who used to be the butt of the jokes now have platforms to say, "Fuck alla y'all."

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
It never ceases to astound me that so many people thinking shunning shitty people is a new phenomenon. As if this isn't something we've been doing for thousands of years already.
Michael Richards and Mel Gibson went through this.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Except now it's been far more spun up based on often accusations with little to no substance.

Look at some of the claims against her vs what she said.

Look at the stuff now against Rosario Dawson that's happening too.

Previously you really had to cross the line in a far bigger way to be outright cancelled. Or you had to be truly messed up and out of it e.g. Drew Barrymore in the past style to be pushed out of things.