Girl gamers and their boy issues.

Wereraccoon

Jun 3, 2010
So yeah. I noticed there are bizarrely many topics about gamers(male) having problems with getting girls.

Just wanted to say it's not all that easy for girls either. (sadly)
I'm a gamer girl.. And yeah for me that hasn't worked out at all. Maybe it's just the lack of male gamers in my environment. But I wonder if more girls have been experiencing this problem.

For instance you're at a party talking to a nice guy... And realize you've ended up talking about Mass Effect. And the guy is like: Riiiiight... *backs off*
It's funny how non gaming guys are just as freaked out as girls... Oh well. Just curious after thoughts, and if more girls have experienced this problem.

Bloodfeat

May 12, 2010
all the "gamer girls" ive met seem to have a male counter part as it were.
but they are all really serious gamers not just Facebook casuals etc
but that could just be here, and they all do the games tech or computer science course at my university, so yeah

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Why am I not surprised?

Somehow I think the old stigmas and stereotypes about 'gamers' that existed in the late 80's and early 90's haven't actually gone away at all.

You try and combine a gamer with a non-gamer, and, evidently, bad things happen irrespective of sex...

Not that I would know regardless. I barely manage to deal with friendships, let alone actual relationships.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
I think both groups probably suffer from the same problem: the other group. On the one hand, if you try and 'woo' a potential partner who doesn't share your social inclinations, then the chances of success aren't high because there isn't that common interest. On the other hand, the people from that group are not only different in terms of compatibility, but in the same way that gamerguys tend to fantasise about a gamergirl, nongamer guys have little-to-no reason to want a gamergirl.

So between what they want, and what the relationship needs/wants (some common ground), gamers are going to have more trouble with nongamers, regardless of sex.

OT: I'm not a girl, and I've never looked for a relationship, so I can't say I've ever had this problem myself.

Wereraccoon

Jun 3, 2010
Donnyp said:
]
If you'd like a hug i'm down lol.

I would think it wouldn't be hard for girls, no matter what, to get guys...well sorta. It's all about the guy and how big of a douche he is.
Well of course in theory it's not hard to get a guy. But that also goes for all you guys, not hard to get a girl. If you drop standards. No one does. So lets just say: It's hard to get a guy within personal standards.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Could be worse. Could be a girl gamer who is also into girls. Much smaller pool than either gender of straight gamers has to deal with.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Hmm, suppose I don't give as much thought to socially inept women trying to find somebody. And yet my immediately selfish response is why do none of these geek girls (or geek gay, bi guys for that matter) live near me!

AngryNerd

Jun 15, 2011
The boys I know are all impressed that I play video games. But I've never really had a relationship.
(Another Girl by the way.)

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
Aris Khandr said:
Could be worse. Could be a girl gamer who is also into girls. Much smaller pool than either gender of straight gamers has to deal with.
OMG yes yes yes to this post! My g/f 'tolerates' my gaming - and i'm pretty sure that's the best i'm gonna get. So ...um... YAY!

Sammisaurus

Jun 10, 2011
I thought it was only me! Yes, the other day I was talking to one of my guy friends and geeking out about Skyrim. He didn't share my excitement *sigh*

Wereraccoon

Jun 3, 2010
Donnyp said:
Wereraccoon said:
Donnyp said:
If you'd like a hug i'm down lol.

I would think it wouldn't be hard for girls, no matter what, to get guys...well sorta. It's all about the guy and how big of a douche he is.
Well of course in theory it's not hard to get a guy. But that also goes for all you guys, not hard to get a girl. If you drop standards. No one does. So lets just say: It's hard to get a guy within personal standards.
True. But my standards are "i want to be happy"....
Don't we all have that standard?

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
Wereraccoon said:
So yeah. I noticed there are bizarrely many topics about gamers(male) having problems with getting girls.

Just wanted to say it's not all that easy for girls either. (sadly)
I'm a gamer girl.. And yeah for me that hasn't worked out at all. Maybe it's just the lack of male gamers in my environment. But I wonder if more girls have been experiencing this problem.

For instance you're at a party talking to a nice guy... And realize you've ended up talking about Mass Effect. And the guy is like: Riiiiight... *backs off*
It's funny how non gaming guys are just as freaked out as girls... Oh well. Just curious after thoughts, and if more girls have experienced this problem.
This could be avoided by hanging out with gamers.

Most gamer girls I have met are stuck up, especially if they are pretty. I know half a dozen that do not date gamers because few gamers meet their "standards". A long time friend wanted her douchey frat boy "gamer" ((durrhurr I play socom once every five weeks, I r gamer)) to hang out with my friends, and I told her no.

Wereraccoon

Jun 3, 2010
OmniscientOstrich said:
Hmm, suppose I don't give as much thought to socially inept women trying to find somebody. And yet my immediately selfish response is why do none of these geek girls (or geek gay, bi guys for that matter) live near me!
Bad news. Good chance they do live close by! The point is, you don't see them! Because they either stay inside... Or you just won't recognise them on the streets. Aside from fangirls/fanboys it can be pretty had to recognise a gamer because it's not like we all wear the same clothes like we're some kind of cult xD

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
Every game girl I have a pleasant conversation with seems to always be either lesbian or taken. The irony.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
This kind of thing is the same across the board - there are just more guys making threads on the Escapist, I guess. =)

If you think about it, it's not really even unique to 'gamers' - if you start geeking out about anything, it's a toss-up as to whether the person you're talking to (chatting up =P) will engage or escape.

The payoff for geeking out openly and honestly is that if the person you're talking to *does* share your interests, then you hit an immediate connection. If you want someone who is into gaming, then you're away laughing.

I'm not explaining myself very well, but what I'm trying to say is that you should just keep on trying, and don't hide your gamer-ness; it's what will attract the kind of person you're (presumbaly) looking for =)

SkinyJim

Dec 30, 2010
Wereraccoon said:
OmniscientOstrich said:
Bad news. Good chance they do live close by! The point is, you don't see them! Because they either stay inside... Or you just won't recognise them on the streets. Aside from fangirls/fanboys it can be pretty had to recognise a gamer because it's not like we all wear the same clothes like we're some kind of cult xD
Lan parties! None around? Make one!