Girl gamers and their boy issues.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
To be completely honest I am surprised. Nearly everyone in my (all-boys) school games to some extent. I'm not calling you a liar, it's just surprising to hear that no boys are interested in girl gamers.

It's a blessing for most of us.

Nazgual

Apr 16, 2011
SL33TBL1ND said:
It's just a matter of being at the right place. I went to Supanova a couple days ago and the concentration of gamers there was immense.
I'm not sure Supanova or other conventions are really a good place to hook up with people lol. When I was there you had the creepy gropers or creepers with cameras for up-skirting.

thecatsme0w

Apr 3, 2010
Wereraccoon said:
So yeah. I noticed there are bizarrely many topics about gamers(male) having problems with getting girls.

Just wanted to say it's not all that easy for girls either. (sadly)
I'm a gamer girl.. And yeah for me that hasn't worked out at all. Maybe it's just the lack of male gamers in my environment. But I wonder if more girls have been experiencing this problem.

For instance you're at a party talking to a nice guy... And realize you've ended up talking about Mass Effect. And the guy is like: Riiiiight... *backs off*
It's funny how non gaming guys are just as freaked out as girls... Oh well. Just curious after thoughts, and if more girls have experienced this problem.
That describes most of my 20s :p the last guy I dated before my fiance, HATED the fact that I played WoW. We used to get into mad fights over it. 3 weeks after he dumped me, I was bored one night and mucking around in WoW and met the cute undead rogue (who turned out to live in the same city!!! and was single!!) who I'm now living with and engaged to be married to :)

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
Some are freaked out, some are impressed. Meeeeh. More are impressed than freaked out, however a lot of the time even if they're impressed they might see it as un feminine.

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
Hey I'd love to date a gamer girl. I have the hardest time with girls that I have nothing in common with

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
AngryNerd said:
The boys I know are all impressed that I play video games. But I've never really had a relationship.
(Another Girl by the way.)
This. I get the whole "You game! That's so cool! Why don't you have a boyfriend?" Gee, I don't know, because no one has shown a shred of interest?

May 29, 2011
Where I live, there are no gamer girls. Absolutely every young male is a gamer (I'm not even exaggerating), but the few women i know to play video games do so a couple of times a month. And it's always some crappy game like the sims. So i wouldn't know.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Wereraccoon said:
DeadSp8s said:
Dork girls are so great...as long as they're the kind that shower regularly. So, I would say just keep trying. And always shower :D

Probably wasn't the right guy for you. /whiteknight
Amen. Shower and shave girls. Shower and shave.
And brush your hair *nod*

In a sense grooming in general :p

As for gamer girls, I have yet to find one that I could relate too. It's sort of weird, but most nerd girls I meet tend to fall into one of four categories:

-Ungroomed (see quote :p)
-Bitchy ("I get so much attention, I could get any guy I want" types, that is mainly in wow)
-Taken (I mean if they are awesome they are usually taken :p)
-Overly enthusiastic.

Okay the last one might need some explanation. What I mean is that I have met a lot of nerd girls that seem to go way deeper into their medium of choice than most of my guy friends. I think this relates back to how girls generally get more obsessed about things (ie. girl fans of bands, vs male fans of bands), but this obsession scares me a bit.

at the same time I find it weird, because I my self can spend the better part of an evening talking StarCraft2...

So I guess a suggestion to all of us, when out with "normal people", we shouldn't seem to obsessed with our hobby until we know the person we are talking to.

PS: Would like to add that as a guy I am not really looking for a gamer girl, but would prefer a girl who could at least understand my hobbies. Done with girls who really don't want to date a nerd...

I'm a Nerd and proud of it, but I am also so much more :D

Orc Town Grot

Mar 11, 2011
My wife mocks me loudly if I have an 8 hour game session, but thinks nothing of it to do an 8 hour TV session (which seems an incredibly boring waste of time) The very word 'game' denotes self indulgance, so gaming seems to have fairly dubious moral quality in general. I guess if you make millions of bucks as an actual game inventor that is about the only way you can get any respect. Or at least if you earn a paypacket as a designer, gaming company employee, or other 'pro' you earn the right to play games as a 'professional interest'. But not too much, for games are akin to drugs, and always in the final analysis 'self indulgant'. It becomes a real problem when you are sharing a room with someone who hates it. Or if you truly are addicted and just can't keep your hands off the controller for five minutes. So I think a truly degeerate meaning for gamer is possible, for those who give up their whole existence for games. Like everything, It's a question of balance.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Wereraccoon said:
OmniscientOstrich said:
Hmm, suppose I don't give as much thought to socially inept women trying to find somebody. And yet my immediately selfish response is why do none of these geek girls (or geek gay, bi guys for that matter) live near me!
Bad news. Good chance they do live close by! The point is, you don't see them! Because they either stay inside... Or you just won't recognise them on the streets. Aside from fangirls/fanboys it can be pretty had to recognise a gamer because it's not like we all wear the same clothes like we're some kind of cult xD
I think you actually hit one thing that causes us such difficulties as a subculture -- there's no convenient way to identify each other outside of scenarios already centered around us. We lack the "secret handshakes" and "uniforms" of other groups -- I mean of course that we lack any common recognizable visual cues that we are gamers, and we also lack readily apparent behavioral cues.

It's easy to pick the goths out of a crowd. It's easy for Freemasons to recognize each other at close range (just look for the ring). Other groups have words, phrases, etc that allow them to signal to each other "I am one of you" without causing much chaos within the greater social group. Gamers lack this though.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Nazgual said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
It's just a matter of being at the right place. I went to Supanova a couple days ago and the concentration of gamers there was immense.
I'm not sure Supanova or other conventions are really a good place to hook up with people lol. When I was there you had the creepy gropers or creepers with cameras for up-skirting.
Really? I've never encountered anyone like that there.

Mimssy

Dec 1, 2009
Johnnyallstar said:
Hi, I'm a guy and I'd like to say people are all kinds of damaged goods.
So are you also in the corner on the weird discount rack with all the other dented cans? It's a fairly large crowd...

thecatsme0w

Apr 3, 2010
Schadrach said:
Wereraccoon said:
OmniscientOstrich said:
Hmm, suppose I don't give as much thought to socially inept women trying to find somebody. And yet my immediately selfish response is why do none of these geek girls (or geek gay, bi guys for that matter) live near me!
Bad news. Good chance they do live close by! The point is, you don't see them! Because they either stay inside... Or you just won't recognise them on the streets. Aside from fangirls/fanboys it can be pretty had to recognise a gamer because it's not like we all wear the same clothes like we're some kind of cult xD
I think you actually hit one thing that causes us such difficulties as a subculture -- there's no convenient way to identify each other outside of scenarios already centered around us. We lack the "secret handshakes" and "uniforms" of other groups -- I mean of course that we lack any common recognizable visual cues that we are gamers, and we also lack readily apparent behavioral cues.

It's easy to pick the goths out of a crowd. It's easy for Freemasons to recognize each other at close range (just look for the ring). Other groups have words, phrases, etc that allow them to signal to each other "I am one of you" without causing much chaos within the greater social group. Gamers lack this though.
That's why I bought myself a pair of d10 earrings ;)

Blizzarded Soul

Jan 27, 2010
Sarkule said:
Blizzarded Soul said:
lithium.jelly said:
Oh, I wish I could find a girl I could discuss Mass Effect with!
This. Im a male gamer and metalhead, thus I find it extremely difficult to find a girl who will talk to me full stop. Most of the girls who live in my area of England are preppy and artificial so I pretty much get looked down upon because im wearing combats or black jeans coupled with a band t-shirt. Just pisses me off because they don't get to know me. It would be a dream come true if I could find a girl who would talk about Mass Effect with me, hell any kind of game. Sadly stigma in our society is a real ***** to anyone even remotely different.
Nyawwwwwh! I would hug you if I could :>
And I would accept that hug in no time. Now just let me prep my ocean draining device and i'll be there in a jiffy.

Marcilla

May 3, 2011
Aris Khandr said:
Could be worse. Could be a girl gamer who is also into girls. Much smaller pool than either gender of straight gamers has to deal with.
Yup, very small pool indeed. Its like trying to find a unicorn.

Nazgual

Apr 16, 2011
SL33TBL1ND said:
Nazgual said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Really? I've never encountered anyone like that there.
The place wasn't full of creepers (only some) but what I meant was that I think witnessing or falling victim to a creeper is more likely than finding a potential partner at a con. Even my friend I went with to Supanova is guilty of groping a girl in the crowd, though he regretted it after (she was rather upset).