Girlfriends and Gaming

Ayrav

Dec 12, 2008
Boxmeister said:
In my relationship I'm more into the gaming than my boyfriend is, but whenever I whip out Worm or Gears, or essentially anything with co-op, we seem to use it as some sort of bonding experience. Killing the AIs before eventually beating the crap out of one another, or giving the other cover fire during a roadie run :D

Ayrav said:
Also you have to remember that NOTHING IS EVER EASY, if your not constantly sacrificing and working hard in a relationship your doing it wrong.
I dunno about constantly sacrificing, but you're damn right when you say nothing is ever easy.
I was going after the either your sacrificing OR working hard, which doesn't mean that there isn't a pay off by any stretch of the imagination.

Boxmeister

Jun 27, 2009
Ayrav said:
I was going after the either your sacrificing OR working hard, which doesn't mean that there isn't a pay off by any stretch of the imagination.
Oh. I like the "working hard" more than the "constantly sacrificing" one, personally. It makes me feel like less of a silly ***** :p

Oh, and--
Chinchama said:
Major_Sam said:
I wish for a gamer guy. You guys are actually rather tricky to pick up!
Lies; girls just need to be more outgoing/assertive. One girl I know desperately wants a relationship but can't get into one. Why might you ask? Because shes very pretty but refuses to ask a guy out, she insists that only guys should ask girls out and because of her traditionalist ways she will continue to yearn for a boy friend.
...LAME. Tell her to get off her possible high horse and be a human that shows interest. Don't guys like knowing they've been singled out as the most interesting one too?

Major_Sam

Aug 27, 2008
Chinchama said:
Major_Sam said:
I wish for a gamer guy. You guys are actually rather tricky to pick up!
Lies; girls just need to be more outgoing/assertive. One girl I know desperately wants a relationship but can't get into one. Why might you ask? Because shes very pretty but refuses to ask a guy out, she insists that only guys should ask girls out and because of her traditionalist ways she will continue to yearn for a boy friend.
Well....what are you going tonight? ;)

To be honest I'm a bit like that but I'm not as tight as I was. I get pretty nervous around meeting new people. They don't call me Blushy McRedface for nothing. I'm yet to find someone that I find comfortable asking out. I couldn't possible ask someone out as soon as I meet them.

Ayrav

Dec 12, 2008
Boxmeister said:
Ayrav said:
Oh. I like the "working hard" more than the "constantly sacrificing" one, personally. It makes me feel like less of a silly ***** :p
Now your my sort of lady! If you understand the concept of working hard in a relationship then you have a bright future in store!

Ayrav

Dec 12, 2008
Mon Ami said:
If the game is more important to my significant other rather than time with me; I'd probably have a problem. I'm not saying I'd want all of his time because Lord knows people have a right to have their own interests outside of a relationship. Not to mention that it is possible to play games with a significant other. My problem lies in the circumstance where the SO prefers to play a video game rather than acknowledge me at all.

Gaming above human interaction bugs me a lot. It's probably that that leads to the demise of a relationship. I mean who wants to be with someone who prefers a screen/controller/console/fantasy world to them?

In answer to your question, I'm not a big gamer so I've never been in the situation where I've preferred a game to my boyfriend. I have been in a situation though where I was in a long distance relationship. We only had the weekend to spend with each other and instead of chatting, going out, or conversing; my Ex played FFXII for four hours before leaving my home. Being ignored like that hurt; and although I love Final Fantasy, I think he should have made a bit of an effort to spend more time with me than a screen.
WOW, you've been a member of this forum for more then a half a year and this is your first post?

What your basically saying is something that most relationships lack, Balance. Between the two involved in a relationship you need to strike a balance for it to work well. I know I've talked with authority about relationships, but this is something we've struggled with. For me knowing when to give my partner attention and to back the fuck off is still REALLY hard for me, but because we both understand that we need to work hard and sacrifice its not something the will break our relationship. Which isn't to say that it makes it easy either, I'm always walking a fine line to keep things on the cool.

Ah shit I'm in the doghouse :(.

Switchlurk

Jul 10, 2009
I'm lucky enough that most of the girls i date at least show some interest in my hobby. I have a good thing going with my current girlfriend that she knows enough about video games that i can talk to her about it, and i read occasionally so she can talk to me about that.

NotAPie

Jan 19, 2009
*sigh* I really wish my girlfriend was like that.
She only cares about how many people she can kill and if I'm playing I have to listen to her or I'll get smacked upside the head.
I love my god damn meanie.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
PaulyWalnuts said:
I've been dating a girl for little less than a year, who doesn't mind my excessive gaming. She asks about what bosses I killed today, gets excited when I tell her I got a dog in FO3, and loves that I like the artistic side of games not just the "how many noobs I can pwn," which is what her previous boyfriends were like. She doesn't game at all beyond mariokart. She let me play FO3 with my arms wrapped around her; she likes watching me play Dead Space because "it's like a horror movie;" and she laughs when I headshot people.

This is mind-boggling to me because my prior girlfriends got all up in arms that my gaming cut into "our time" even though I made it abundantly clear that I know my priorities.

Guys, do you have any stories like this? Girlfriends (or hopefully ex's) who hate the fact that you spend some time away from them to escape?

Girls, why do other girls hate the fact that guys like the game? Or on the rare occasion, did you have a boyfriend that hated the fact you gamed?

Let's hear it
No, but, jesus christ you're lucky. I wish you all the best luck with her :)

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Most of mine haven't been into it. Which is fine, I just don't game when they're around. It's not like I spend every minute with my girlfriends so there's plenty of time for me to get gaming in and see them too. I did have one gaming girlfriend, I introduced her to Blood, and that was her favourite game from then on. She loved setting people on fire and soccering their heads around. Talk about awesomely great taste in games.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Date nerd girls--they're more inclined to game.

Some girls can't take that you split your time between them and something virtual. For others it's about associating video games with children, and therefore makes them think you're too immature to have a serious relationship.

twistedshadows said:
My ex and I used to game together... and we used to watch each other game, as well. Yes, we were a dorky couple.

I don't think I could date someone who didn't accept my gaming habits, even if he wasn't a gamer himself.
Dorkiness is totally where it's at. I wouldn't want a relationship without dorkiness.

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
GracefulSerenity said:
You have any pointers for us gamer girls then? I have been looking for a gamer guy but often just find Anime guys when I go to Waldenbooks, Borders, or Barnes & Nobles and when I go to other places the creepy guys always seem to be there instead looking at Hentai >.<
Put exactly that on a forum like this (probably not the escapist, most members control themselves) and you'll probably get quite a few admirers.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I play games pretty casually and my last girlfriend did the same thing really, was good :)

twistedshadows

Apr 26, 2009
BehattedWanderer said:
twistedshadows said:
My ex and I used to game together... and we used to watch each other game, as well. Yes, we were a dorky couple.

I don't think I could date someone who didn't accept my gaming habits, even if he wasn't a gamer himself.
Dorkiness is totally where it's at. I wouldn't want a relationship without dorkiness.
I completely agree, it's much more fun and relaxed when dorkiness is involved.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
twistedshadows said:
BehattedWanderer said:
twistedshadows said:

I completely agree, it's much more fun and relaxed when dorkiness is involved.
I'm always ensaddened (whoo, I just made up a word, and it works with the rules! yay!) when I'm flirting with a girl, and call her a dork, and then she gets offended or upset, and demands to know what it was that caused this dork trait to appear. So few understand that it's not even in the same continent as a bad thing--it's one of the best things, even a prerequisite, even.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
My past girlfriends have all enjoyed the odd video game or two though never a girl who was really into them.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
PaulyWalnuts said:
I've been dating a girl for little less than a year, who doesn't mind my excessive gaming. She asks about what bosses I killed today, gets excited when I tell her I got a dog in FO3, and loves that I like the artistic side of games not just the "how many noobs I can pwn," which is what her previous boyfriends were like. She doesn't game at all beyond mariokart. She let me play FO3 with my arms wrapped around her; she likes watching me play Dead Space because "it's like a horror movie;" and she laughs when I headshot people.
You MARRY that girl!

God, my ex tried to convince me that gaming was a sickness and something I did because I couldn't let go of my childhood or some bollocks. I'm glad I dumped her crazy arse, wondering why I didn't do it sooner.

One of my exs was concerned about my excessive playing of Star Wars galaxies. She said I was wasting my life on it. Then after I finally quit it, realising that she was right and it was a pointless grind fest, she dumped my arse.

QuirkyTambourine

Jul 26, 2009
My girlfriend absolutely despises my gaming. But of course, that's my fault. I used to try to play what I like to think of as thought games ie; games that require my attention due to dialog/story driven moments. I stopped playing those when I talked to her and moved onto mindless shooters online, where it's just reaction to what's going on for the most part.

She still doesn't like it when I play though, but I've gotten better at hiding the fact I'm not playing (not shouting expletives every 3 seconds helps)

phoenix_tetsu

Sep 7, 2009
My GF loves gaming, she kinda hates the one player ones when we play together (obviously...) and is a Zelda junkie (with the exception of the 3DO entries, she has finished all of them at least 10 times... I wish I was exagerating)
We stick to co-op or music games (she is an opera singer, so, predictably, loves humilliating the singing handicapped whenever we play

She is currently wading through No More Heroes

yeah, my gf is amazing