Girls in Gaming

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I touched on this subject yesterday [http://www.blueinkalchemy.com/2010/04/13/game-review-half-life-2/], and it's something that I'd like to expand upon. Basically, there's a tendency among both game designers and game players to marginalize, sexualize or downright denigrate the role of women both in the games and playing games. It's a stupid, misogynistic and shockingly accepted behavior, and I really wish it'd stop.

Nice job empowering young girls out there, Christie.

Now, don't get me wrong. As a red-blooded mostly-heterosexual male who still has a pulse, I can appreciate a curvaceous woman who's unashamed of her body. But really, how you can take the female fighters from Dead or Alive, stick them in a game that has them frolicking around on a beach in skimpy swimwear and not call it objectification? I mean to have strong women in a fighting game is one thing, but to take them from that context and stick them in another where all they do is flail around at one another, roll around on a sandy beach and pose provocatively for the player is quite another. At one point in DOAXBV 2, Christie does a pole dance. It's just absolutely shameless exploitation of her sexuality. On top of the unfortunate social message this sends, the engine's "jiggle physics" makes things unrealistic to the point of hilarity. Sure, somebody's somewhere getting off on it as I write this, but I could say the same thing about a picture of a particularly woolly sheep.

Somewhere out there, somebody's picturing Victa here on a pole.

Even when taking a lead role in a game, it's difficult to find a pre-determined female protagonist who isn't meant more to titillate than inspire. I haven't been able to take Lara Croft seriously for some time now, for example. Bayonetta is a pretty blatant example of female protagonist exploitation, but at least she's aware of it and is willing to laugh at how pathetic her exploiters can be. For the ultimate tongue-in-cheek gamer prick "taking the piss" experience, I'd love to see her saunter into a future No More Heroes title.

Seriously. This babe, teamed up with Travis Touchdown. Think about it.

It's not all bad news, though. Yesterday I talked about Eternal Darkness [http://www.blueinkalchemy.com/2010/04/13/game-review-half-life-2/] comes to mind, as does Jade from Beyond Good and Evil. But I think it'd be very difficult for me to find a girl gamer who doesn't consider Samus Aran a very positive role model.

Looking this good and kicking galactic-scale ass is a tough job.

Now, recent titles seem to depict Samus' Zero Suit as having been sprayed on by some unknown Chozo technology. However, it still makes sense, as an environmental layer between her and her armor that still provides a layer of protection. In addition, she doesn't need to look as good as she does, never relies upon her looks to survive, functions independently and projects a motherly instinct from time to time. She's a well-rounded, positive character that blows the crap out of alien pirates who cross her. Female Commander Shepard from the Mass Effect games is another good example. It's no coincidence that they're both voiced by Jennifer Hale, if you ask me.

Women in games continue to struggle to be taken seriously. The players, too, have a lot of misogyny and prejudice to deal with. A good chunk of the gaming population seems to think that girls who play games are limited to Farmville or Cooking Mama or Little Big Planet. That's such a complete load of immature misinformed crap. Face it, kids, women play games too, and not just the aforementioned "casual" titles. (And really, what makes those games "casual"? A lack of gunfire? No swearing? Not enough achievements to swell your virtual penis gamerscore?) There are entire organizations out there like the PMS Clan [http://www.pmsclan.com/index.php] dedicated to reinforcing the notion that women who get behind the keyboard or controller are just as capable of racking up kills, scoring points and talking smack as the boys, if not moreso.

Ladies, don't let those underdeveloped wisecracking jerkoffs keep you from playing games you love and demanding a better representation for women. They're not better than you are and they don't have any right to say that you don't have a place on their servers or in their games. And what's more, deep down, they know it, and it scares the hell out of 'em. I think I've said more than enough on the subject, so let me close by reiterating something I've come to believe about pretty much any endeavor I or any of my peers undertake.

The only thing that's really capable of stopping you from making the most of the opportunities out there, in gaming or any other walk of life, is you.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Somewhere out there, somebody's picturing Victa here on a pole.
I could not help but burst out laughing when I read that along with the picture.

Very nice work overall, a few other good examples could be the female side-kicks in Mass Effect, as well as possibly Cortana from Halo (although she borders on it occasionally).

Demented Teddy said:
It's the worst on MMORPGs
I can't move from one side of a room or area to the other side in the MMO Phantasy Star Universe without some asshole messaging me:

Low-life said:
Want to send me a pic?
Never played an MMORPG but what's funny is when I have heard of guys using female characters and having this happen to them.

Scribjerky

Apr 4, 2010
And you've found the exact reason why I can't stand most female protagonists. Female characters are either blatantly objectified or made into a helpless, crying bag of moral 'dilemmas'.

Sadly, this doesn't just apply to games. Its is most entertainment. It's less common in books than in TV or films, but it's still a rampant issue. You've pretty much gotta have a thick skin as a woman if you want to have fun with anything. It either that or rage (typically my preferred choice actually, oops).

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Sorry that first image had me distracted for a bit.

But I see what you mean and I agree. So many games have a female characters that look like they were designed by a 13 year old. It actually puts me off instead of attractive me in. I like my characters (both male and female) to be more human, instead of being more burly and sexy. (though a little of it is not too bad)

Ryokai

Apr 4, 2010
The thing is, even when the character isn't an exaggeration of sexuality, they are still always depicted as attractive, even characters like Alyx Vance (one of my favorite characters of all time). However, this may be unrelated to sexuality, and more to do with aesthetics (people, regardless of gender, like looking at attractive people).

But on the other hand, what about the opposite? The male characters are almost always "manly" men, with rugged good looks and gigantic muscles. (In Gears of War, ALL the male characters, even the old general, have huge and impossibly large muscles.)

Female players face prejudice in gaming because of one reason: They're ountnumbered. For every guy gamer, there's 1,000 to 10,000 girl gamers. Not to mention that whether or not you have a girlfriend, most guys will feel an attraction to a female who shares their interests, especially when it's so rare, as is the case here. This causes the flirting, the put downs, the sexual innuendo that girl gamers always hear.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
I'd quite like to see games appealing to more women with actual characterisation of their female characters as opposed to "OMG LOOK IT COMES IN PINK" mentality that seems rife in the industry today. Then again, I think the same needs to apply to male characters too as they are usually very underdeveloped.

Mercurius507

Apr 10, 2010
I remember when I first player Uncharted: Drake's Fortune; I thought that Elena was a fantastic example of a good and believable female character (apart from the 'I never used a gun but can suddenly kick virtual pirate ass as soon as i pick one up' thing) but then in Uncharted 2 they introduce Chloe who, in my opinion is little more than a stereotypical 'seductive bad-ass' character.

Also does anyone else think that Ninja Gaiden has the most over the top and degrading female characters ever? Its like a bunch of hormonal 17 year olds who needed a way to over-compensate were put in charge of the entire game!

APLovecraft

Jan 13, 2010
with more female gamers there may be more female game designers which might change the balance, the only game i've played where i actually liked (not as in fancied but cared about because they weren't whiny or overly-sexualised) was heather from silent hill 3

Ryokai said:
But on the other hand, what about the opposite? The male characters are almost always "manly" men, with rugged good looks and gigantic muscles. (In Gears of War, ALL the male characters, even the old general, have huge and impossibly large muscles.)
i used to think this too but according to the GOW3 trailer there's a lady gear now so yeah, awesome :)

MissPixxie

Mar 15, 2010
Demented Teddy said:
I can't move from one side of a room or area to the other side in the MMO Phantasy Star Universe without some asshole messaging me:

Low-life said:
Want to send me a pic?

This. I am forever getting this.

Why can I not just enjoy my game as a player, instead of an object?

Totenkopf

Mar 2, 2010
Woman can kick ass too. Elfen Lied's Lucy is a good example, girls like her should make it into games (One of my favourite anime characters btw). And I've met a really skilled woman in Day of Defeat: Source, who is accepted and popular among the other guys who've played with her.

Scribjerky

Apr 4, 2010
MissPixxie said:
Demented Teddy said:

Low-life said:
Want to send me a pic?

I hate it when this happens. Drives me nuts. The answer is always no. Always. Yet they keep asking, like if they're persistent it's going to change, when it reality all it gets them is a report.

Pocket Nerd

May 21, 2009
For my money, one of the greatest female game characters ever is Alisa Landale from the original Phantasy Star. She's attractive but not ridiculously sexualized. She's also strong and capable; besides being the all-around strongest character in combat, she takes up the game's main quest on behalf of her slain older brother. In other words, she's doing a man's job, and doing it better than he did. (^_^)

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:
I touched on this subject yesterday [http://www.blueinkalchemy.com/2010/04/13/game-review-half-life-2/], and it's something that I'd like to expand upon. Basically, there's a tendency among both game designers and game players to marginalize, sexualize or downright denigrate the role of women both in the games and playing games. It's a stupid, misogynistic and shockingly accepted behavior, and I really wish it'd stop....

...Sure, somebody's somewhere getting off on it as I write this...

...Bayonetta...

...It's not all bad news, though. Yesterday I talked about Alyx Vance, from Half-Life 2 and its episodes....
... Farah from Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is a very close second...

...Ladies, don't let those underdeveloped wisecracking jerkoffs keep you from playing games you love and demanding a better representation for women...

...The only thing that's really capable of stopping you from making the most of the opportunities out there, in gaming or any other walk of life, is you...

The parts above are the parts I've seen in every single one of these posts ever since I joined the Escapist. These topics come out once a month or, if the flavour of the week is feminism, a lot more.

The parts in bold are the parts I find patronising to women in general. Women do not need a 'call to arms' and, if I was a woman, I think having someone step in an tell me, basically, 'don't let men bully you', I'd be a little bit insulted.

But hey, I'm a middle-class white-guy, so what do I know?

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
Totenkopf said:
Woman can kick ass too. Elfen Lied's Lucy is a good example, girls like her should make it into games (One of my favourite anime characters btw). And I've met a really skilled woman in Day of Defeat: Source, who is accepted and popular among the other guys who've played with her.
Lucy is one hell of a double edged sword. I thought she was pretty hot, but she's also able to dismember you in a split second....

Also I think FemShep from Mass Effect can be a pretty strong, not blatantly sexual character.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I agree with you 100% good sir, but I see many of these threads saying basically the same thing, which is good I suppose because we share the same view.
My media assignment was going to be about the objectification of women in gaming, but I dropped Media Studies... I made a powerpoint and everything!
I mentioned to a friend about how the women in Final Fantasy games are unrealistically skinny and poorly dressed. I demand fatties! It's hard to believe they live in a place without girls of different sizes.
They're trying to introduce plus size models into modelling and TV, so it should be in games too.
Bayonetta is just ugh... It's unlikely gamer guys will find a girl like that in real life.
It's the same with guys. I'll never find me a Leon Kennedy.

Totenkopf

Mar 2, 2010
Scribjerky said:
MissPixxie said:
Demented Teddy said:

Low-life said:
Want to send me a pic?

I hate it when this happens. Drives me nuts. The answer is always no. Always. Yet they keep asking, like if they're persistent it's going to change, when it reality all it gets them is a report.
I'd never thought stuff like this could actually happen. Shocking, you have my pity. Must be damn annoying. I've never witnessed anything like this online in Day of Defeat. When a female gamer joined a game, everyone was okay with that and the round just continued.

TheBritish

The really, quite jolly rascal
Nov 12, 2009
First of all, I want more "serious" female leads and less... Well, less of what we currently have. Alyx and the Mirror's Edge (written by a female writer) girls were great, succeeding in being attractive, strong, intelligent and fun. Sadly, this isn't going to happen as often as we may like.

I don't have time to go into the whole issue of "butch girls" vs "girlie girls" right now, but the sum of that argument is that a main character who's male doesn't have to be Marcus Fenix to kill hundreds, yet people think that a female would have to be. Gordan Freeman could've easily been Gordina Freewoman. When I choose to play as a female character in RPGs they're usually pretty... of course, but they're also not super-skinny and triple D. If they are gonna be swinging a sword, they need mucle, but they don't need to be Conan or Red Sonja... but why not let them be? :)

I think one of the big problems people ignore isn't that "girl's can't kick ass" 'cause they can. It's that "girl's can't have their asses kicked". It's a fact, that in the society we live in, playing a female lead who swings a machete to butcher the people around her is fine, but there's something very distrubing about seeing a female being punched or kicked to most people. It's a form of discrimination, but it's responsible for a lot of what people think of as "men making games for men". When you're making a game, you need to be aware of how it will go down with the mothers who watch their children play. It's a big deal.

Also, I don't want developers having female characters if the story doesn't support it. Don't give extra roles to women, just give them the roles that make the story better instead of shying away from them.