GITS Publisher: "never imagined it would be a Japanese actress in the first place.?

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
SweetShark said:
I NEED to read the a translated version of this novel. I am very curious what kind of changes did for the Movie.
I only read the manga, so I don't know how it might differ from the novel...
I also didn't see the movie, so I don't know how it ends.
After they destroyed the antenna and the nexus, they continue to loop. Then, in the next cycle, after destroying the antenna, Rita attacks Keiji, explaining to him that in their several loops, they have become antenna in and of themselves. Thus, to end this, one of them must die. They fight and Keiji mortally wounds Rita, and she confesses her feeling toward him. Thus, ending the loop, Keiji is hailed as a hero and paints his armor blue in honor of Rita.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
madwarper said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Isn't the character's body completely artificial anyway?
Yes, I've said as much numerous times in the other thread about Johansson's casting.
How convenient then that this artificial body is both white and American. Funny how this was never brought up in the previous movies or comics. How because she's got a Japanese name, speaks Japanese, and has a Kabuki styled haircut... she's actually a white, American cyborg.

Look, I don't think anybody expected this movie to star a Japanese actress in the lead unless it was a Japanese production (And even then, when was the last time you saw a good Japanese live-action anime adaptation?). But if she's white and she's going to be named Matoko Kusanagi, that's just going to stick out like a sore white-washed thumb. And yes, I know there are actual white people living in Japan with Japanese names, but let's not kid ourselves here.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
madwarper said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Yes, I've said as much numerous times in the other thread about Johansson's casting.
How convenient then that this artificial body is both white and American. Funny how this was never brought up in the previous movies or comics. How because she's got a Japanese name, speaks Japanese, and has a Kabuki styled haircut... she's actually a white, American cyborg.

Look, I don't think anybody expected this movie to star a Japanese actress in the lead unless it was a Japanese production (And even then, when was the last time you saw a good Japanese live-action anime adaptation?). But if she's white and she's going to be named Matoko Kusanagi, that's just going to stick out like a sore white-washed thumb. And yes, I know there are actual white people living in Japan with Japanese names, but let's not kid ourselves here.
The film's PR refers to the character as "The Major".

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
MatParker116 said:
The film's PR refers to the character as "The Major".
Hey, if they go Edge of Tomorrow with this, fine. But they seem to be pushing the hype of ScarJo as Kusanagi among the geek community, which makes me think they're going to try and keep the name intact. And that's just going to call attention to itself everytime.

They want to remake this thing, then they're gonna have to remove it as far as possible from the original and just credit it as 'based on the works of Shirow Masamune'. If they decide to take obvious Japanese characters with Japanese names and cast them as white people... then I don't think it's outrageous to say that that's going to come across a bit silly.

fezzthemonk

Jun 27, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
madwarper said:
DudeistBelieve said:
The show leaves alot of her history as a mystery. Many of her Co workers are left guessing as she is anything but a typical soldier. There was even speculation that she was actually a man in a female shell. She has also been known to use different bodies if the mission calls for it.

She has changed race before, so it's not to outlandish to think it could happen again.

I don't get all the outrage, the movie isn't even out yet. I will reserve my opinions till I see it.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
fezzthemonk said:
I don't get all the outrage, the movie isn't even out yet. I will reserve my opinions till I see it.
Given that we've had multiple movies based on animated shows -- or even videogames *cough* Prince of Persia -- where the cast was white washed, along with Hollywood's pension for stripping foreign popular entertainment of anything they think Americans might dislike, it's not too unreasonable that people look at this Ghost in the Shell movie and groan.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
fezzthemonk said:
Given that we've had multiple movies based on animated shows -- or even videogames *cough* Prince of Persia -- where the cast was white washed, along with Hollywood's pension for stripping foreign popular entertainment of anything they think Americans might dislike, it's not too unreasonable that people look at this Ghost in the Shell movie and groan.
How was Prince of Persia whitewashed? The guy is as white as my Syrian neighbours.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
How convenient then that this artificial body is both white and American.
Praytell, how exactly are you able discern the national origin of a prosthetic body?
The only thing I've seen released was a single shot of Johansson's face. But, the way you're going on and on about how the character is going to be portrayed in the film indicates you have foreknowledge of plot elements that the rest of us don't.

So, would you kindly share the source of this information? I'm sure you wouldn't want us to think that you were just pulling this out of one of your orifices.
How because she's got a Japanese name,
You know... Not everyone with a "Japanese name" are Japanese? Right?
speaks Japanese,
You know... Not everyone that speaks Japanese is Japanese? Right? Also, the Major doesn't /just/ speak Japanese.
and has a Kabuki styled haircut...
You know... Not everyone with a "Kabuki haircut" is Japanese? Right? After viewing the google images for that term, first image is a white girl. The first image of a someone of Asian decent is at the end of line two, though they are animated. The first image of a human that may be of Asian decent is toward the end of line 3, noticeably after David Bowie.
she's actually a white, American[sup][Citation Needed][/sup] cyborg.
Still waiting on that link.
(And even then, when was the last time you saw a good Japanese live-action anime adaptation?)
To the best of my knowledge, I haven't seen any. Not speaking of quality, just in general.
If the anime is good enough, I'd rather not soil the memory by watching something less than appealing.

I haven't seen the live action Death Note, nor Silver Spoon (and I fucking LOVE Silver Spoon), also I won't touch Attack on Titan's adaptation simply because their lack of diversity just screams that they're simply ignoring major plot points.

Though, I will say that if HBO doesn't cast Kenzo Tenma in their rumored Monster adaptation as someone of Asian decent, I'll be joining the pitchfork mob. But, in the case of GitS, there's a logical explanation of why the actress portraying the Major isn't of Asian decent.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Ezekiel said:
ThreeName said:
Zontar said:
But still

(YMMV)

It's not like Hollywood butchers everything. I mean it's probably unfair to compare Scorsese, Nolan and Fincher to whoever the fuck Rupert Sanders is. Oh, he directed some Halo 3 ads. (okay yes okay he did that Snow White thing too). Well then. Hmm.

You know what nevermind
He said live action adaptation, inferring adapted from cartoons or comics.

I'm still really disappointed James Cameron gave Battle Angel Alita to Robert Rodriguez. James Cameron is far more experienced with dramatic sci-fi and can handle enormous productions.
No, "live-action adaptation" simply means an adaptation of something that was not live-action in the first place, which would certainly include novels. This would also differ from an "animated adaptation" such as the original GitS anime.

I am withholding judgment on this until I see more information on the movie, like an actual trailer. If the studio really wants to sidestep this issue, they can show a Japanese person get blown to bits, then have Johansson waking up with someone explaining that it was the only model they had available to transfer her into. Similar to the end of the GitS anime really, when Batou had to put her into a child model. This would give a nod to the original Japanese heritage of the character and give some justification for a caucasian lead.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
madwarper said:
speaks Japanese,
You know... Not everyone that speaks Japanese is Japanese? Right? Also, the Major doesn't /just/ speak Japanese.
You know... Not everyone with a "Kabuki haircut" is Japanese? Right?
Yet, if they have all three of these traits, it is pretty safe to assume that they are. And in Kusanagi's case it's pretty much a given that she is. Whether a cyborg can have a nationality is besides the point since we're talking about looks. And I know people argue that anime characters hardly ever expressely look Japanese, but again, since they speak it, have Japanese names, and live there, then it's common sense to deduce that they are. Japan isn't exactly the most ethnically diverse nation in the world after all.

No, I have no knowledge if this movie's plot, just a hunch. A hunch based on other previous foreign properties that got American adaptations.

You mention the Asian main character in Monster, but what ultimately was the point of him being Japanese that an American remake couldn't just white wash without changing the plot or character motivations in the slightest?

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
madwarper said:
speaks Japanese,
You know... Not everyone with a "Kabuki haircut" is Japanese? Right?
Yet, if they have all three of these traits, it is pretty safe to assume that they are. And in Kusanagi's case it's pretty much a given that she is. Whether a cyborg can have a nationality is besides the point since we're talking about looks. And I know people argue that anime characters hardly ever expressely look Japanese, but again, since they speak it, have Japanese names, and live there, then it's common sense to deduce that they are. Japan isn't exactly the most ethnically diverse nation in the world after all.

No, I have no knowledge if this movie's plot, just a hunch. A hunch based on other previous foreign properties that got American adaptations.

You mention the Asian main character in Monster, but what ultimately was the point of him being Japanese that an American remake couldn't just white wash without changing the plot or character motivations in the slightest?
Don't know about the American thing, but they make it pretty clear that the cyborg body is a pre-existing standard Caucasian model chosen specifically to easily blend in, which has been heavily modified internally.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
With the entire plot revolving around body modification and mind manipulation, why is the look of the protagonist even an issue? Her entire body is artificial. They can just say she has the brain of an asian woman and be done with it.

And as far as I remember, she didn't look particularly asian. Women in anime usually never do. With the men you can tell, but women are usually drawn more generically pretty.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
mduncan50 said:
Don't know about the American thing, but they make it pretty clear that the cyborg body is a pre-existing standard Caucasian model chosen specifically to easily blend in, which has been heavily modified internally.
Why would they choose a caucasian model to easily blend in when the majority of civilains are Japanese? Only basing this off the animated movies, mind you -- Maybe the comic and animated series take place in a setting that is booming with ethinic diversity.

I'm sorry, but to me it comes across extremely questionable for a cyborg operative working for a branch of the Japanese government and operating in Japan, and I assume is manufactured in Japan, to look like a white girl.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Yet, if they have all three of these traits, it is pretty safe to assume that they are. And in Kusanagi's case it's pretty much a given that she is.
Her "ghost"? Perhaps. Her "shell"? Not necessarily.

Whether a cyborg can have a nationality is besides the point since we're talking about looks.
A cyborg can take any appearance. So, the looks is completely inconsequential.

And I know people argue that anime characters hardly ever expressely look Japanese, but again, since they speak it,
It doesn't matter what language the character would be speaking, they are talking in Japanese because the audience speaks Japanese. When the Chief and Major visited in London in SAC, you'd logically think everyone to be speaking in English, because... England. But, they didn't.

Then, when it was localized for an English speaking audience, everyone was speaking English everywhere. Both in Japan and in London.

Japan isn't exactly the most ethnically diverse nation in the world after all.
So, you're comparing fictional post-WW4 Japan to current Japan? Good luck with that.

Great. So, orifice mining it is.

Do you know what the the plot of Monster is? Because, if you did, I can't fathom how you could even ask that question.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
It's the publisher. Who gives a crap about their opinion.
The less the opinion of a publisher rubs against creative works, the better because it's rooted in profit maximization.

"This is a chance for a Japanese property to be seen around the world." just oozes cluelessness like, sure, nobody knows freaking ghost in the shell and japanese properties are so rarely popular in the west.
It's not the 90s anymore.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
mduncan50 said:
Why would they choose a caucasian model to easily blend in when the majority of civilains are Japanese? Only basing this off the animated movies, mind you -- Maybe the comic and animated series take place in a setting that is booming with ethinic diversity.

I'm sorry, but to me it comes across extremely questionable for a cyborg operative working for a branch of the Japanese government and operating in Japan, and I assume is manufactured in Japan, to look like a white girl.
As I said, it is a pre-existing model that is popular in Japan, and so they chose that popular model so that bad guys wouldn't know that she wasn't just some random robot, not so that she would blend in with Asian people.

I really don't understand why you find it questionable that they would have a cyborg working for the Japanese government that wasn't designed to look Japanese. I've seen tons of human in my government that look suspiciously Asian. Should they be replaced with white folk to fit in?

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
madwarper said:
Whether a cyborg can have a nationality is besides the point since we're talking about looks.
A cyborg can take any appearance. So, the looks is completely inconsequential.
Yes, a cyborg can, but does she? Does Mokoto change her appearance on a regular basis, or does she typically just look like herself? 'Herself' being someone who looks very much Japanese.

Japan isn't exactly the most ethnically diverse nation in the world after all.
So, you're comparing fictional post-WW4 Japan to current Japan? Good luck with that.
Well, yes I am. Future Japan or no, it's still based on current Japanese society and written from that perspective.

Do you know what the the plot of Monster is? Because, if you did, I can't fathom how you could even ask that question.
Yes, I know the plot, but I never finshed the anime, which is why I ask. See nothing about the main character being Japanese seemed essential other than making it easier for a Japanese audience to relate to him. I can't see making the guy South-American break down the entire plot.

The point being that race hardly ever impacts the plot of a story in any real way (unless it's making a point about race). But it still would be nice to not have everyone be white or turned white.