Give me a topic and your position and I will argue with you.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Saladfork said:
sumanoskae said:
Saladfork said:
sumanoskae said:
The world and all that it encompasses have no intrinsic, objective value. The only value that exists is purely subjective. Humans(And maybe other animals) invented the very idea of "Value".
There is one thing that has objective value: Human life. Everybody values their lives, and value of things like food and water derive from value of life.
Not true, objectivity is undeniable fact, as in it is literally impossible for anyone thinking clearly and acting honestly to argue against it.

1: If I asked what made human life valuable, what would you say?.

2: Not everyone does, many people such as criminals, psychopaths, manic depressives, politicians, Michael Atkinson, etc, don't place any inherent value on human life.

If everyone just agrees on something, that doesn't make it an objective fact, it's just united subjectivity, many different perspectives that happen to agree.

Humans are wired to survive, so of course they FEEL that they're life is important, but that doesn't mean that that viewpoint makes any kind of sense, that they can present undeniable evidence that life not only can be but SHOULD be preserved.

Fire is hot, that's a fact, regardless of who you are or what you think, fire will still cause you to ignite. How would you argue an exclusively human concern to an entity that wasn't human?, how would you ascertain that their argument was inferior to your own?.
Human life doesn't have anything that makes it valuable. That's why the only way it can have value is if it has some intrinsically.

And perhaps I should have elaborated, but I meant every human being's own life has intrinsic value, meaning that everybody values their own life.

As for why I specifically said human life, other animals are unable to articulate thoughts about worth and value.
...What?.

There's nothing to make life valuable so therefore it has to be?.

Isn't it more likely that it just doesn't have any at all?.

Something having intrinsic value doesn't mean everybody values it, it means that any conscious creature perceiving it has no way of arguing against it's worth. It's is objective and self evident.

The very question "What is the meaning of life?" is illogical, one might as well ask "What is the agenda of comatose?".

Life is a state of being, not an entity or singular creation in possession of the conscious mind needed to communicate some sort of message or operate under an agenda. Furthermore, even if you believe in God, then you would also have to prove that God's point of view was logical.

For something to be purely reasonable it has to perfectly explain itself without reverting to circular logic or self evidence, which do not work because they refer back to a point that has already been contested.

Human beings valuing human life doesn't mean anything, they wouldn't have survived if they didn't. That doesn't mean that they're right, that they're point of view is objective. Being logical means you have to ignore your biases and emotional connections for the sake of argument, and without subjective human(Or otherwise) perception, the galaxy would be nothing more then a sea of randomly connected atoms, an endless sea shapes shadows.

Value doesn't exist anywhere except in our minds, by definition. It's a construct to keep us alive. Therefore it is purely subjective, therefore it is intangible, therefore it is not objective.

P.S: I could go on to say that not all humans value their own lives, but saying that was important would be missing the point.

silenticecream

Nov 3, 2011
I haven't read through the entire thread before posting this. This seems like the kinda straw man that you were seeking. Immolate me.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Saladfork said:
Any topic you can think of. Pick your position, I will argue the opposite viewpoint.
Ho ho ho...
Mine: Girl gamers are just as good if not better than guys
your move shaky.

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
lionrwal said:
Dorian6 said:
lionrwal said:
Dorian6 said:
lionrwal said:
Some organism is alive at this moment.

BOOM.
That is actually pretty easily disproven. I'll let Douglas Adams explain it.

"Although you might see people from time to time, they are most likely products of your imagination. Simple mathematics tells us that the population of the Universe must be zero. Why? Well given that the volume of the universe is infinite there must be an infinite number of worlds. But not all of them are populated; therefore only a finite number are. Any finite number divided by infinity is zero, therefore the average population of the Universe is zero, and so the total population must be zero."
So... something is alive in my dream world. I DARE YOU TO ARGUE THAT.
Easily. As I explained, the population of the universe is zero, so you don't exist, therefor by extension your dreams don't exist because you don't exist to dream them. This proves logically that nothing in your dreams is alive because the dream doesn't exist because you're not real
Still, even though the universe is ever expanding, it will come to an end one day.
That means it is not infinite. The universal law says everything has an end. Thus, the universe is not infinite, meaning it has a population greater than zero, meaning i exist.
No. I said the volume of the universe was infinite. It takes up an infinite amount of space. Time is not a factor in this equation, so my point remains valid.

lionrwal

Aug 7, 2011
Dorian6 said:
lionrwal said:
Dorian6 said:
lionrwal said:
Dorian6 said:
lionrwal said:
Some organism is alive at this moment.

BOOM.
That is actually pretty easily disproven. I'll let Douglas Adams explain it.

"Although you might see people from time to time, they are most likely products of your imagination. Simple mathematics tells us that the population of the Universe must be zero. Why? Well given that the volume of the universe is infinite there must be an infinite number of worlds. But not all of them are populated; therefore only a finite number are. Any finite number divided by infinity is zero, therefore the average population of the Universe is zero, and so the total population must be zero."
So... something is alive in my dream world. I DARE YOU TO ARGUE THAT.
Easily. As I explained, the population of the universe is zero, so you don't exist, therefor by extension your dreams don't exist because you don't exist to dream them. This proves logically that nothing in your dreams is alive because the dream doesn't exist because you're not real
Still, even though the universe is ever expanding, it will come to an end one day.
That means it is not infinite. The universal law says everything has an end. Thus, the universe is not infinite, meaning it has a population greater than zero, meaning i exist.
No. I said the volume of the universe was infinite. It takes up an infinite amount of space. Time is not a factor in this equation, so my point remains valid.
We can't know that for sure. There are several theories that disprove your point such as the big crunch. And besides, with any universal end theory, there are not an infinite number of planets. It is impossible for the universe to create the matter necessary to make an infinite amount of nebulae.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
This was the thread where I posted my first comment. It has really come along since then :D