Global Warming Has Accelerated and Will Go On for Centuries

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
The White Hunter said:
Many will point to natural occurences and be told to shut the hell up, for example when the big smokey bastard erupted in Iceland and much of Europes travel via air was halted for a time, the volcanoe significantly reduced the emissions for the period by outputting less greenhouse gases than the travel for the period would have.
I try to stay out of this conversation because its such a big deal and I'm a hard sell on what we really know about weather vs. human existence, and the other factors in our world. I don't say no, and that we shouldn't care about taking care of things but I do say I'm a wait and see kinda guy. Besides all I heard this winter was "this is how winter used to be about 15 years ago and people forget".
The wait and see is over. The people who do the science have measured the effect, it is real, it is now. The only question left is what to do about it.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
thewatergamer said:
Pretty much my sentiments, you can call me an ignorant idiot, but im sorry their is no science to the Global Warming thing anymore, its just a political thing now (as much as idiots like to pretend otherwise)(also this is the UN which to me is a joke right now seriously don't take anything they say seriously)

It's a natural thing we aren't really doing anything to affect and we will either adapt to a naturally changing world, or we will die, end of story, welcome to how nature works, also can we please shut up with the "blame the oil" thing people,
Actually, not really. There's plenty of science backing global warming. It's pretty much universally accepted amongst experts that humanity is having a significant effect on the climate. Though one should note that I said "significant", not "large", or "massive", or whatever. Humanity's contribution to the current warming trend is miniscule compared to the natural cycle, but it is very much there and could be very bad. Even a one degree change in overall global temperature could potentially have catastrophic environmental impacts.

The only part of global warming still in contention amongst the scientific community is precisely what effect it will have on the environment, and that's because the kind of interactions there are hellishly complicated. There's billions of variables involved in determining a specific region's climate, from proximity to the equator to surrounding terrain to meteorological effects over the closest roughly 70% of the planet's surface, etc etc. No one's quite sure how all those disparate pieces will come together to effect the climate, only that major climate changes could very easily be catastrophic for humanity.

Ipsen said:
I know exactly how adaptation works. You missed my point entirely. My point was that the climate is changing, and we as a species will either adapt to it and survive the change, or we will not and we will then go extinct, and regardless of which, the universe will continue to give no fucks about it.

If we die, we die. Everything dies eventually, it's not something to fear or dread. There's no sense in kicking up a fuss over something like global warming, because if it's not that, it'll be nuclear war, or a robot apocalypse, or maybe even simple time. Someday, somewhere down the line, humanity will go extinct, and something will take our place. Then they will die, and something else will take their place. Then that something else will die, and another something else will take their place, ad nauseum. The cycle will only stop with the heat death of the universe. We as a species are nowhere near special enough to justify freaking out so much about our inevitable extinction, regardless of its form. There's replacements waiting in the wings.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Agayek said:
I know exactly how adaptation works. You missed my point entirely. My point was that the climate is changing, and we as a species will either adapt to it and survive the change, or we will not and we will then go extinct, and regardless of which, the universe will continue to give no fucks about it.

If we die, we die. Everything dies eventually, it's not something to fear or dread. There's no sense in kicking up a fuss over something like global warming, because if it's not that, it'll be nuclear war, or a robot apocalypse, or maybe even simple time. Someday, somewhere down the line, humanity will go extinct, and something will take our place. Then they will die, and something else will take their place. Then that something else will die, and another something else will take their place, ad nauseum. The cycle will only stop with the heat death of the universe. We as a species are nowhere near special enough to justify freaking out so much about our inevitable extinction, regardless of its form. There's replacements waiting in the wings.
I'll count myself glad I missed the point then; you've hardly stated anything that's not obvious to the point of uselessness. Of course us fleshy bodies can die out from a variety of circumstances, but that doesn't mean that we don't 'kick up a fuss' over it. We are at least one species that CAN acknowledge the circumstances that would destroy its own livelihood, so we MIGHT be able to avert or adjust the circumstance with collective work or resources. As things are now, civilization is tending to get in the way of people working towards the common-for-all-life goal of survival. In this case it's hampering work towards maintaining survivable climates for the world (or at least for humans). And for the record, yes, if the next ice age was seen as imminent, I think we would work to avert that as well.

It's not that you post was wrong, it just doesn't serve a point towards human survival, which all alive work towards in at least some degree.

It's not even a matter of you making a point or being free to post, just that the point, as agreeable as it is, at least prompts my own (I hope).

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
thewatergamer said:
Oh yes also remember about 30 years ago when everyone was panicking about "the next ice age is coming run for your lives" yeah im sorry but with all this alarmist shit, global warming just looks like another scam to get money
There's actually an interesting contrast there:

Global cooling was a case of slight downward trends in temperature being blown way out of proportion by the media. It had very little support within the Scientific Community.

On the other hand, Global Warming is supported by almost the entire Scientific Community, and there is not a single national or international Scientific body which disagrees. This has been the case since 2007.

And now I'll just throw this up:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
lacktheknack said:
And yet environmentalists continue to drive cars, fly in planes, use computers, eat animal products, build with lumber, use gas-powered heaters, and channel utilities from conglomerate sources with the rest of us ignorant plebs.
Well, that would be because the difference made by a single individual changing their lifestyle would be negligible in comparison with a change of policy or regulation.

thewatergamer said:
Even if it is "man caused" what do you want us to do about it? fund more corrupt people like al-gore and David Suzuki? give me a break those 2 dumbasses fly around in jets to preach about their new cult, im all for cleaning up the environment and all around cleaner air, but banning oil and stuff and demanding more money for clearly broken and corrupt "solutions" is just dumb
Pointing to figures such as Gore and Suzuki as representative of climate science has always been ludicrously simplistic. The vast majority of scientific institutions internationally recognise AGW, and a huge amount of research is done into it across the globe. Pointing at two public figures and ignoring the colossal is bizarre and reductionist.

thewatergamer said:
Third why do I give a shit again? I'll probably be dead with in the next 60 years and I don't really intend to raise a family so yeah sorry guys I really could care less about what happens to earth 100 years from now
Most people tend to care about the future of the species. If you don't, that's fine, but don't expect to influence the dialogue.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Avaholic03 said:
This pretty much sums up my thinking as well. People are so afraid of change even though we have no idea how this change will affect things.
We have a pretty good idea how it will affect life on Earth. Rise of sea level for starters, more disastrous weather, impact that weather will have on flora and fauna which means that a lot of species can go extinct. Species we depend on for food among other things.

Avaholic03 said:
In the long run, humanity really isn't any more or less important than the millions of other species that have come before, during and after.
How the fuck can you say something like this with a straight face? We're mortal so it's OK if we all die? No, it's not OK. Don't pretend that it is. Your continued existence proves that you don't actually believe that. Why didn't you commit suicide yet if you truly believe that? We may not be important in the "grand scheme of things" but the grand scheme of things can go fuck itself. The grand scheme of things is irrelevant for us just like we're irrelevant for it. We're pretty important to ourselves because we're fuckin' alive and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
Avaholic03 said:
So...Futurama was right. What we need is nuclear winter to cancel out global warming.

But seriously...
Agayek said:
I'm really not seeing the problem with large climate change/global warming. Well, to be more accurate, I really can't see why people keep kicking up a fuss over it. We'll either adapt to it like everything else on Earth will, or we'll die. Once that's done, the Earth will normalize and something vaguely like us may evolve once more, or something will evolve to take our place as the apex species in the warmer and wetter climate (woo, dinosaurs making a comeback!).

It's really not something to be overly worried about.
This pretty much sums up my thinking as well. People are so afraid of change even though we have no idea how this change will affect things. In the long run, humanity really isn't any more or less important than the millions of other species that have come before, during and after.
Except that we are the most intelligent species we know of, by far. We have a huge amount of potential and to think that this,today, is the peak of humanity, and it's downhill from here is a sad thought, wouldn't you agree?

OT: Politics is whats dealing the most damage here. Everything takes far too long to get done.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Undomesticated Equine said:
Meh i have like 60 years tops left and considering that global warming is a very slow process and it will take a while for the worst to come i guess i just do not care. Even if we all went green right now we would not see any improvements within our lifetimes so i guess what i am trying to say screw your children and let them deal with the floods droughts and wars.
Or greater habitable warm areas so that there are fewer cold related deaths per year.

Example of a link: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_Hot_weather_or_cold_weather_cause_more_deaths

Creedsareevil

Mar 25, 2014
Cancel private air travel.
Except via solar powered zeppelins.

It will bring back the joy of taking a train ride. Or travel by ship.

This really has become a question of "Is your convenience today worth more than the life of the people of the future who will inherit the earth you helped shape?"
As long as people snort to that answer and give a wide "fck the future people" then this whole thing is doomed.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
If history shows anything, it's that people don't change their behavior on a mass scale until the hammer falls on their heads, followed by everyone going "Lets never do that again". Case in point, World War II and Vietnam. We'll probably have to wait until global warming is causing some kind of global catastrophe, at which point everyone is probably screwed because the thing that got messed up happens to encompass the whole planet.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
So is it time to start building space mirrors to reflect the heat away? Or seeding the oceans with iron?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
The question is, are we past the point where accelerating global warming is causing the accelperation or not. are we past the point of no return. should we start working on terraforming soon?

I dread to think the climate changes here considering my country is heated by Gulf current and if that stops the temperatures will drop drastically, then the temperatures will raise due to the warming again. our plant/animal life probably wont survive this, as well as our economy.

I try to stay out of this conversation because its such a big deal and I'm a hard sell on what we really know about weather vs. human existence, and the other factors in our world. I don't say no, and that we shouldn't care about taking care of things but I do say I'm a wait and see kinda guy. Besides all I heard this winter was "this is how winter used to be about 15 years ago and people forget".
you had a proper winter in US this year, thats true. but the only reason people say "they onyl forget" was because the climate was getting so much warmer that proper winter was not something you woudl expect anymore. But you were lucky and got a proper winter, while here at Europe we had pretty much none. winters are gone and snow is retracting. go to any country that has many sky resorts and you will see how weather changes. heck, they are pumping out nearby lakes dry to create artificial snow to even sustain tracks DURING WINTER. you used to be able to sky right to your cabin, now the snow ends several kilometers from it.

SKBPinkie said:
OT: Hydrogen cars seem to be coming along decently. I'm not sure of the specifics, but they seem to be pretty viable alternatives to what we have today. And seeing how their only emission is water, they'd be fantastic for the environment as well.
Hydrogen cars wont catch on. They are very dangerous due to explosive nature of hidrogen. very unsafe thing to have considering the driving accidents statistics.

Nimcha said:
If we can cause it, we can reverse it.
how do you suggest we reverse what happened in, say, chernobyl?

McMullen said:
I'm a little mystified by this. What are these people suggesting? That we don't have to worry because volcanoes will halt air travel and reverse the warming trend? If that's the case, then "shut up" and maybe "the adults are talking" might be the most tactful responses those people deserve, but there has to be more to it than that.
what they are suggesting is that natural events cause so much emission that human emission is insignificant in comparison adn thus nothing we do can have an effect. they are wrong.

Undomesticated Equine said:
Meh i have like 60 years tops left and considering that global warming is a very slow process and it will take a while for the worst to come i guess i just do not care. Even if we all went green right now we would not see any improvements within our lifetimes so i guess what i am trying to say screw your children and let them deal with the floods droughts and wars.
60 years? yeah, your going to feel it. if you were 60 and had 15 years to live (average life expectancy in US is bellow 75) then i would see your point of "dont care whats after me, yay selfish". but with 6 0years your certainly going to feel it.

JoJo said:
Storing carbon dioxide deep underground seems like the best option to me.
no. Same mistake as with radioactive material. it should be sent into space instead.

Nimcha said:
Once people's feet get wet, things will get done.

Or if people start to lose money.
peoples feet are already wet. people are already loosing money (for example holland spent billions trying to keep its shoreline from being overrun by ocean).

nothing got done.

Agayek said:
I'm really not seeing the problem with large climate change/global warming. Well, to be more accurate, I really can't see why people keep kicking up a fuss over it. We'll either adapt to it like everything else on Earth will, or we'll die. Once that's done, the Earth will normalize and something vaguely like us may evolve once more, or something will evolve to take our place as the apex species in the warmer and wetter climate (woo, dinosaurs making a comeback!).

It's really not something to be overly worried about.
You see, some people actually want us to survive it.

Kajin said:
There needs to be some kind of government subsidy that helps cover the cost for people who want to buy solar and wind based electrical generators to help power their homes in order to reduce individual carbon footprint. Hell, if that happened I'd go out and buy as many as I could. Make my house self-sufficient as hell.
There is. Here a government buys any power you generate with wind energy at 3 times the market price, and then it rusn that power thgohu the regualr lines. This means the coal and gas plans need to work less since there is other sources. They are goign backwards on it now because a lot of people started abusing the subsidiy though.

lacktheknack said:
And yet environmentalists continue to drive cars, fly in planes, use computers, eat animal products, build with lumber, use gas-powered heaters, and channel utilities from conglomerate sources with the rest of us ignorant plebs.

Lead the way, Sergeant.
a nice example of why you should never use generalization.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Silvanus said:
lacktheknack said:
Well, that would be because the difference made by a single individual changing their lifestyle would be negligible in comparison with a change of policy or regulation.
So you're willing to ride along on the carbon train until you're specifically forced to stop?

That's... that's like a pastor saying that gays should be allowed to be married, but then refusing to do ceremonies for them until the law is passed in that forces him to do so.

Strazdas said:
lacktheknack said:

Lead the way, Sergeant.
a nice example of why you should never use generalization.
You deny that the vast majority of them do these things? OK, bro.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
hentropy said:
You can't really blame people for being skeptical. There's been quite a few alarmist panics in the past, and articles like this only serve to push that narrative, that it's Chicken Little and it's really not going to be that bad. Storms aren't anything new to people so pointing out those aren't going to help prove the case. Until theses doomsday prophecies start happening, people aren't going to drastically change everything about their lives to try and fix it.

Pointing out the man-made global warming is happening is one thing, yelling that we need to change everything about everything right now and give us more money to research solutions and give more money to green energy companies is just going to make you look like an alarmist profiteer.
Erm, storms ARE new in some regions. and those that aready had it has an increase of rate. For example there was a storm last autumn here that literally tore some buildings apart. this has NEVER happened in recorded history of my country. it was a record breaking storm. and i live in a region where "A storm that does not allow you to walk on a street" is something that doesnt exist, not even close. my whole house was literally whining during that storm. I saw people driving cars that would lift off from the wind (thnakfully not enough to flip them). we were, of course, completely unprepared for this since this has never happened. the weather is intensifying, whether you beleive it or not.

Shaidz said:
What i find funny is that if Global Warming has all been made up, which it hasn't, what are all these people scared of? The worst that will happen is we would of cleaned up the air, invented better, more efficient means of power, preserving wild life and generally increasing the health of this planet...Global warning or not, HOW IS THIS A BAD THING?
But but but, then they would not be allowed to take millions in bribes from the oil companies! Surely you can understand that thier personal greed is more important!

lacktheknack said:
Yes i do. Have any proof to the contrary?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Strazdas said:
lacktheknack said:
Yes i do. Have any proof to the contrary?
Facebook, infamous environmentalist "scandals" (having a private jet plane is just asking for all of the trouble), failed searching for consistent environmentalists. I literally can't find any. I can't even find any active hippie communes.

I have absolutely no reason to believe they don't do what everyone else does any more than I have reason to believe a yeti is stalking me.

If you're going to be one of those insipid contrarians who expects my "proof" to be an account for literally every environmentalist, please don't. You convince no one if you do that and only further alienate me.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
lacktheknack said:

Lead the way, Sergeant.
I walk to work, don't own a car, hardly ever fly anywhere, buy my paper from responsible sourcing and recycle almost everything. And I usually use blankets or jumpers instead of heaters.

I do use a laptop for most of the day and I do use utilities, but I'm not in a position to change the entire energy industry, so I don't see why I shouldn't. I at least try to use greener energy companies. I do eat animal products - but animal produce is tiny compared to what the energy industry is contributing to Climate Change.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The_Darkness said:
lacktheknack said:

Lead the way, Sergeant.
I walk to work, don't own a car, hardly ever fly anywhere, buy my paper from responsible sourcing and recycle almost everything. And I usually use blankets or jumpers instead of heaters.

I do use a laptop for most of the day and I do use utilities, but I'm not in a position to change the entire energy industry, so I don't see why I shouldn't. I at least try to use greener energy companies. I do eat animal products - but animal produce is tiny compared to what the energy industry is contributing to Climate Change.
Congratulations, one-of-several-million! You've got it mostly right!

Also, <link=http://epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemissions/gases/ch4.html>you'd be horrified.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Amir Kondori said:
The White Hunter said:
Many will point to natural occurences and be told to shut the hell up, for example when the big smokey bastard erupted in Iceland and much of Europes travel via air was halted for a time, the volcanoe significantly reduced the emissions for the period by outputting less greenhouse gases than the travel for the period would have.
The wait and see is over. The people who do the science have measured the effect, it is real, it is now. The only question left is what to do about it.
If the stats are right on then we've basically fucked ourselves so what is there to do about it? Not to be a pessimist. I also have heard a lot of weird things from the eco-zealot wing of the world that make me shake my head. Some have reversed their standings on Nuclear energy saying things like "if we'd stuck with it we wouldn't be in this mess" others who used to throw themselves in front of tree-cutters when rare trees are about to be destroyed not even lifting a finger to save a rare 50ft albino sequoia that has both colorings and is but one of a handful of trees like it that was about to be leveled for a commuter rail somewhere in the Pacific Northwest.
I hear a lot about climate change and how its all our fault, and maybe it is. What can we do? Well put in perspective there's one thing I can think of and thats stop using it as a political weapon.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
lacktheknack said:
The_Darkness said:

Congratulations, one-of-several-million! You've got it mostly right!

Also, <link=http://epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemissions/gases/ch4.html>you'd be horrified.
<link=http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemissions/global.html>Right back at you. Okay, so maybe the word tiny was an exaggeration, but still, see the 14% methane part of that pie chart? That's not even entirely agricultural, since it includes waste management, coal mining and natural gas leaks. And by the second chart - Agriculture gives a total of 14% contribution to global emission (CO2 and CH4). Energy, Transport, Industry and Forestry (which are all items that I do actively try to combat with my lifestyle) contribute about 75%.