Glorious Leader! Video Game Stars North Korea's Kim Jong-Un Fighting America

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Glorious Leader! Video Game Stars North Korea's Kim Jong-Un Fighting America

Check out the trailer for Moneyhorse Games' upcoming Glorious Leader! retro run 'n' gun game starring North Korea's Kim Jong Un and Dennis Rodman.

Ever wanted to play as North Korea's leader Kim Jong-Un? No? Well, regardless if you thought of it or not, Glorious Leader! is coming out soon where you'll get to play as the infamous dictator and he'll even be accompanied by former NBA star Dennis Rodman. Being developed by Atlanta-based Moneyhorse Games, Glorious Leader! will be a 2D "retro run 'n' gun" game played over seven levels where Kim Jong-Un will battle American troops and at some point, set fire to the American flag. Jeff Miller, CEO of Moneyhorse Games says that he was motivated to develop Glorious Leader! based on his fascination with North Korea, and that he wanted to find a new way to tell the country's story, and to get people talking about the nation.

Aimed at gamers in their 20s and 30s whom Miller claims "are big into retro right now," Glorious Leader! is being developed for PC and mobile, but most likely will only be available on Android and not Apple's platform, since Miller is doubtful Apple will want the title on its app store. While some people might find the game itself offensive, Miller states Moneyhorse Games is trying to "carefully walk the line of satire without being an apologist for the regime", but admits he doesn't expect everyone to like it.

Those interested, Glorious Leader! will be available later this year at an unspecified date. But you can check Moneyhorse Games' official site for updates. [http://www.moneyhorsegames.com/]

It's a satire game, I know, but it wouldn't surprise me if Glorious Leader! rubs some people the wrong way. Based on the trailer, are you interested at all to give this a go or might it be too offensive for Americans? Which world leader should have their own game next?

Source: The Guardian [http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/14/glorious-leader-us-developers-to-launch-north-korea-the-video-game]

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
Can we have an Obama game next? We can call it "NDAA: Indefinite Detention".

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Well, I'm sold. This is one of those things you just can't help but laugh at because of its very idea.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
If you're wondering about the unicorn, it's a reference to the Korean Central News Agency once claiming that North Korean archaeologists in Pyongyang had discovered the lair of a unicorn that was ridden by the ancient Korean King Tongmyong.

Yeah.

Alex Co said:
It's a satire game, I know, but it wouldn't surprise me if Glorious Leader! rubs some people the wrong way. Based on the trailer, are you interested at all to give this a go or might it be too offensive for Americans? Which world leader should have their own game next?
I would usually brush off any complaints like that, but the fact is the NK regime is so tone-deaf and devoid of nuances that this is actually representative of something they might produce as propaganda.

Maybe we can have a Princess Diana stealth game? Where you have to sneak around to get to see your sons during Christmas and steal the royal phonebook to give it away to a tabloid to spite The Royal Firm Family.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, wouldn't be surprised if it's more realistic than Homefront or the new Red Dawn.

halobolola

Mar 3, 2011
Alex Co said:
Normally games have you run around as americans killing anyone "non-American", so think its nice to turn the table for once.

its a cool idea, don't know how successful it will be though.

Under_your_bed

Sep 15, 2012
thaluikhain said:
Eh, wouldn't be surprised if it's more realistic than Homefront or the new Red Dawn.
I'm frankly amazed that absolutely no-one spotted the irony of that film and that game. It's America basically getting up in front of a Camera and going: "HEY, KOREA! WOULDN'T IT BE TERRIBLE IF SOMEONE INVADED YOUR COUNTRY FOR THEIR OWN POLITICAL ENDS[footnote]Why, hello there, "America has never done anything wrong" crowd. Yes, I did notice that the Soviets and Chinese got up to some dodgy shit in Korea too. But guess who didn't make a game or a film about being victimised by the exact same country they fucked over themselves?[/footnote] AND MASSACRED THE PEOPLE LIVING THERE IN A BRUTAL AND BLOODY WAR? I MEAN, IT WOULD JUST BE-, wait, what's that? Oh, really? Awkard."

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Typical, Americans have been playing games where American Soldiers running around going "hoorah!" in randomdesertistan shooting brown people in the face for around a decade. Then there was the Russians and South Americans, someone makes a joke game where American soldiers get killed and its suddenly offensive.

Maybe you should think of that next time a game is set in letsgetoilistan shooting Taliban lookalikes.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Under_your_bed said:
thaluikhain said:
I'm frankly amazed that absolutely no-one spotted the irony of that film and that game. It's America basically getting up in front of a Camera and going: "HEY, KOREA! WOULDN'T IT BE TERRIBLE IF SOMEONE INVADED YOUR COUNTRY FOR THEIR OWN POLITICAL ENDS[footnote]Why, hello there, "America has never done anything wrong" crowd. Yes, I did notice that the Soviets and Chinese got up to some dodgy shit in Korea too. But guess who didn't make a game or a film about being victimised by the exact same country they fucked over themselves?[/footnote] AND MASSACRED THE PEOPLE LIVING THERE IN A BRUTAL AND BLOODY WAR? I MEAN, IT WOULD JUST BE-, wait, what's that? Oh, really? Awkard."
Just in reference to your footnote- the original Red Dawn was about a Soviet invasion of the US. The remake was originally slated to be about a Chinese invasion of the US, but that didn't fly with the producers who wanted to sell the movie in china, so it was digitally altered in post and redubbed to make the antagonists the DPRK, and the game followed suit.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
DPRK jokes never fall flat, simply because the leadership and North Korean propaganda aren't even aware of how massively hypocritical they are, or have any sense of general self awareness.

Truly the infinite well of comedy...
If it weren't for all the brainwashed starving people.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
What a shame. I thought this would be based on the Kim Jong Un Adventure series on youtube. I guess it will be more grounded in "reality".

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
Well, the concept of sarcasm has long been forgotten in North Korea, so they might use this as propaganda to show how the west truly "loves" the glorious leader.

Johnny Wishbone

Aug 17, 2011
J Tyran said:
Typical, Americans have been playing games where American Soldiers running around going "hoorah!" in randomdesertistan shooting brown people in the face for around a decade. Then there was the Russians and South Americans, someone makes a joke game where American soldiers get killed and its suddenly offensive.

Maybe you should think of that next time a game is set in letsgetoilistan shooting Taliban lookalikes.

Um....So far I haven't seen or heard of any outrage or any Americans claiming to be offended by this. So why are your panties all twisted up? Let me check your profile....yep, just as I suspected: you're British. Funny how the most rampant anti-Americanism today comes from our supposed allies/friends across the Atlantic. Seriously, what is it with you guys and your butthurt towards the US?

I'm American. I think this game is funny as hell because I understand the concept of satire. While I admit I wouldn't be too happy about a serious game in which American soldiers are the "bad guys" and get shot, I also understand and accept that Russians (or any other nationality) might be upset with a serious game where their soldiers are the "bad" guys and get shot. However, this is not a serious game and no outrage or offense is taken.

The only issue I can see with this game is that someone in North Korea might actually get a hold of it and take it seriously, using it as a propoganda tool without understanding that the joke is on them: "See! Even the Americans realize that our Dear Leader is invincible!"

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Johnny Wishbone said:
I'm American. I think this game is funny as hell because I understand the concept of satire. While I admit I wouldn't be too happy about a serious game in which American soldiers are the "bad guys" and get shot, I also understand and accept that Russians (or any other nationality) might be upset with a serious game where their soldiers are the "bad" guys and get shot. However, this is not a serious game and no outrage or offense is taken.
Out of curiosity, did Spec Ops: the Line upset you? Since the American soldiers were the bad guys (either way you look at it, one group of them was the bad guys).

Your main point, of course, was spot on. There is nothing here to take offense at, at least nothing in the trailer. This game looks hysterical and if the price is right, I might even pick it up.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
People are actually offended by this? I call shenanigans, video proof or it never happened, and I want to see the mobs of angry people protesting in the city streets.

OT: I would totally buy this.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Hmm, that unicorn appears to be shooting bullets from its horn. I wonder if that makes it...
*Dons sunglasses*
...an uzicorn.
See, that comment right there is precisely why I intend to buy this game. It is going to be a laugh a minute with damn near unlimited replay potential.

Also, can we get one of Putin where his special ability is when he is walking away, everything behind him explodes?

halobolola

Mar 3, 2011
Johnny Wishbone said:
Um....So far I haven't seen or heard of any outrage or any Americans claiming to be offended by this. So why are your panties all twisted up? Let me check your profile....yep, just as I suspected: you're British. Funny how the most rampant anti-Americanism today comes from our supposed allies/friends across the Atlantic. Seriously, what is it with you guys and your butthurt towards the US?
Don't know why you'd think that. I thought it was a well known fact that most British people don't like americans. o_O