God of War III Devs Worried About Australia

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Australia? He should worry about the UAE. That game is going to be banned in the UAE faster than you can say GTAIV. :'(

And then there will be a large black market for the game which will go on sale for shitloads.

God I hate living in Dubai sometimes... :'(

bob-2000

Jun 28, 2009
Eruanno said:
Aww come on, it's not a real God of War game without a few limbs getting ripped off and Kratos getting laid with some demigod girls...

I mean, it's not like the greek mythology is that "clean" anyway, maybe we should ban that from Australia too? Oh wait, no don't do that...
yea, really. There was a massive amount of inbreeding in the greek mythology texts, would Australia like to censor that too?

Irishhoodlum

Jun 21, 2009
Bit ironic considering Australia was colonized by British Convicts. Wonder what Yahtzee will do if he ever wants to review it.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
DanniXXX said:
I'd like to speak personally on behalf of Australian gamers - don't worry about us, we can import. Just make sure the DLC will work on American copies aand everything will be fine.
Yea the great thing about the ps3 is its not region specific, so as long as you download the DLC with an American account, I don't see why it would be an issue.

Inco

Swarm Agent
Sep 12, 2008
needausername said:
I still don't understand why Australia's gamers don't just start a revolution...
That revolution is going to be sparked by the 'disbarring' of Michael Atkinson. Pretty much when he is outta the picture this will be a thing of the past.

Oh and congratulations everyone who posted for pretty much being a tad bit ignorant and defining all Aussies based on a minor amount. I mean seriously minor.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
How about they don't release it in Australia forcing Australian gamers to rebel and take the throne? Australia is a monarchy right?.....filled with Kangaroos?

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Why don't we just take them under our wing?

Looking for Australian roomate: Come and enjoy my deliciously violent collection of sex-filled videogames. Ratings are just "suggestions" here. Oh, and we get games on time, too.

Food and bills split 50/50, and all sexual activity must be kept under a certain decibel limit, and off my freakin' couch. I like my sleep.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
They tried to dub the footage of the game 'too violent for the internet', then he's going to try and say 'we try to push the boundaries a little bit'. Can't you peel the skin off of an enemy on this game?

If they didn't see this coming a mile off I don't know what to say. Taking away the only real actual selling point of the game (besides the gameplay that will no doubt be solid) probably won't happen, unless they pack that thing so full of exclusive Aussie content they won't know what to do with themselves.

Irishhoodlum said:
Bit ironic considering Australia was colonized by British Convicts. Wonder what Yahtzee will do if he ever wants to review it.
Probably import it like the rest of them would.

The hell is Dingo? He's probably lighting the torches and sharpening the pitchforks as we speak.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Onmi said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
They tried to dub the footage of the game 'too violent for the internet', then he's going to try and say 'we try to push the boundaries a little bit'. Can't you peel the skin off of an enemy on this game?

If they didn't see this coming a mile off I don't know what to say. Taking away the only real actual selling point of the game (besides the gameplay that will no doubt be solid) probably won't happen, unless they pack that thing so full of exclusive Aussie content they won't know what to do with themselves.

Irishhoodlum said:
Probably import it like the rest of them would.

The hell is Dingo? He's probably lighting the torches and sharpening the pitchforks as we speak.
Suspended, again.
I'm...shocked and appauled? Could I even convince you that I was so?

Onmi said:
So what IMPORT GAMING PS3-REGION-FREE (Seriously that's become a chant of sort for me)

But Madworld got through with no problems, regardless if it is watered down/banned I would import it and risk the Fine (Yes, there is a FINE involved with importing a game refused classification)
That's just shocking. How bad is the fine?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007

My thoughts on this are fairly simple actually. It's a problem when you have companies worrying about the question of "is this going too far?" at all. If it sounds cool, it fits the concept, and you CAN do it, then you should do it. Simply worrying about ratings like this is an issue.

Rather than going "OMG, can we ever get this past the Australian Censors" they should be getting a bunch of money and lawyers organized, and charging the Australian censors head on to do whatever they are going to do. I mean politicians can be bought (money) and your opposing politicians can be harassed and such by your teams of lawyers.

The bottom line is that whether it's Australia or the US, game companies have GOT to grow a pair and hope that someone else has the gall to fight the battles. We've been here with both the European "Video Nasties" thing (look it up) and The Comics Code Authority. If pushed victory is inevitable in any free country.

The big problem with Australia is that rather than just not releasing to Australia (and doing so in such a way that hopefully fanboys will begin to be rallied against their goverment to force them to change policies through pressure) we're probably going to see them only making one version of the game and editing it down to Australia's level, like happened with Fallout 3.

So in the end we all get the rainbows and dancing pandas... at least until someone decides that since Panda Bears are endangered making one dance like in an old time circus (which was inhumane) is wrong, and decides to censor the game on those grounds too. Oh and the rainbows? Well they suggest insensitive leprechaun stereotypes of Irishmen hording pots of gold.

>>>----Therumancer--->

Photon987

May 27, 2009
Spasticeagle said:
*sigh* At least we still have the best beaches in the world..........
Although they look nice, isn't there a plethora of animals that make their homes there that - incidentally - can kill you in under 15 minutes?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Therumancer said:
I think a big problem with this is that there are very few, if any, video game companies located in Australia and as such know nothing about what it's like with the whole restriction. To developers like Sony Santa Monica (they're making God of War 3, right?), Australia just seems like another really sensitive place like Germany or something that wants to protect their children and sheep.

I'd still sign a petition, or write to a congress, or whatever, to get an R17+ rating for Australia. You guys deserve it.