God of War III Devs Worried About Australia

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Onmi said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Onmi said:
So what IMPORT GAMING PS3-REGION-FREE (Seriously that's become a chant of sort for me)

But Madworld got through with no problems, regardless if it is watered down/banned I would import it and risk the Fine (Yes, there is a FINE involved with importing a game refused classification)
That's just shocking. How bad is the fine?
can go up to 5 digits, and possible jail time. OVER A FUCKING GAME!
O_O

No. Just...what? Five digits and possible jail for a game? For your sakes I hope something is done and quickly.

Five digits and jail, pfft. And you're supposed to be the alleged criminal here...

Ezzay

Feb 28, 2009
Photon987 said:
Although they look nice, isn't there a plethora of animals that make their homes there that - incidentally - can kill you in under 15 minutes?
This is true.

Australian Censorship laws are beyond fucked, its to the point where I say I am sad to be an Australian.

Its always "If the children get it", "But the children", "Think of the children".

I don't give a flying FUCK, if the parents are stupid enough to expose their kids to it, its THEIR FAULT.

I'll stop there, because I could go on raging, but it wont be a very interesting read.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Oh noes, boobies and blood.

Here is a thought for ya, why don't you leave it to your people to decide what level of sex and violence they are comfortable with instead making the call for them?

*sigh*

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
When I first read the title I assumed they were talking about a certain games critic who lived in Austrlia at the moment.

MasterSqueak

May 10, 2009
Simalacrum said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Radeonx said:
They could always replace all the blood with rainbows and during the sex scenes just show a giant dancing panda. But even then it might not pass by Australia's rating boards.
This. Man ill say it again, what happend to you australia you used to be cool?
Australia was cool once? really?

Really, why does any self-respecting gamer live there anymore? get out of there while you can, it'll become an aristocratic isolationist country one day I tells ya!
Shut down everything!

"Closed borders?! You little f-GAME OVER."

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
historybuff said:
Poor Australia. Y'know, I always thought of Australians as being kind of macho--and they're always portrayed as badasses. I think they can handle some blood.
Pendragon9 said:
Again Australia? Lighten up, guys. You're turning into the soccer mom of continents.
OI! We are so badass!

Legal age for sex is 16, legal age for drinking is 18, smoking has no legal age for usage, but purchase is also 18. Plus we ride kangaroos for transport and wrestle crocodiles for fun.

The censorship issue revolves pretty much only around the issue of videogames.
Therumancer said:
The big problem with Australia is that rather than just not releasing to Australia (and doing so in such a way that hopefully fanboys will begin to be rallied against their goverment to force them to change policies through pressure) we're probably going to see them only making one version of the game and editing it down to Australia's level, like happened with Fallout 3.
See, that would not work on so many levels. Believe it or not, not only are not enough people interested in videogames in Australia to make it their primary concern when elections roll round, its also not an issue the entire voting public have a say on. Thats right, the chap holding Australia back from getting and R18+ rating is a State Member of Parliament, meaning a very small electorate put him there, and then the head of his party made him Attorney General. Its not a Federal level nationwide decision, its just that due to the system of administration, this one man is exactly where he needs to be to prevent a rating from ever approval, which coincidentally fits in exactly with his own personal beliefs.

The other Attorney Generals want to discuss the R18+ rating, its Atkinson thats holding them back.

As for the Fallout 3 change as an example, I believe it was changing the name of one of the in-game drugs. I honestly don't think it hurt the overall quality of Fallout that much, and if it was going to severely affect sales, I can tell you that Bethseda would have released an Australia only version, or not released in Australia at all.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
the fallout thing was for the betterment of the game anyway

it was always rad-x, and mentats

fallout never used real world drug names

never

AhumbleKnight

Apr 17, 2009
The problem with our laws here in Australia is the ignorant pollies who put them in place and are in charge of getting rid of them. Despite being given evidence supporting a 18+ rating the pollies in charge don't even want to talk about it.

Blackadder51

Escapecraft Operator
Jun 25, 2009
Man i really hopes it doesn't get toned down because the "poor sensitive Australian's" cant tolerate such violence...

AhumbleKnight

Apr 17, 2009
Blackadder51 said:
Man i really hopes it doesn't get toned down because the "poor sensitive Australian's" cant tolerate such violence...
60% (give or take) of Australian Gamers are over the age of 25. It lies entirely in the hands of the pollies who we would vote out if we had a better option.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Armitage Shanks said:
historybuff said:
Poor Australia. Y'know, I always thought of Australians as being kind of macho--and they're always portrayed as badasses. I think they can handle some blood.
Pendragon9 said:
Again Australia? Lighten up, guys. You're turning into the soccer mom of continents.
OI! We are so badass!

Legal age for sex is 16, legal age for drinking is 18, smoking has no legal age for usage, but purchase is also 18. Plus we ride kangaroos for transport and wrestle crocodiles for fun.

The censorship issue revolves pretty much only around the issue of videogames.
Therumancer said:
The big problem with Australia is that rather than just not releasing to Australia (and doing so in such a way that hopefully fanboys will begin to be rallied against their goverment to force them to change policies through pressure) we're probably going to see them only making one version of the game and editing it down to Australia's level, like happened with Fallout 3.
See, that would not work on so many levels. Believe it or not, not only are not enough people interested in videogames in Australia to make it their primary concern when elections roll round, its also not an issue the entire voting public have a say on. Thats right, the chap holding Australia back from getting and R18+ rating is a State Member of Parliament, meaning a very small electorate put him there, and then the head of his party made him Attorney General. Its not a Federal level nationwide decision, its just that due to the system of administration, this one man is exactly where he needs to be to prevent a rating from ever approval, which coincidentally fits in exactly with his own personal beliefs.

The other Attorney Generals want to discuss the R18+ rating, its Atkinson thats holding them back.

As for the Fallout 3 change as an example, I believe it was changing the name of one of the in-game drugs. I honestly don't think it hurt the overall quality of Fallout that much, and if it was going to severely affect sales, I can tell you that Bethseda would have released an Australia only version, or not released in Australia at all.

Well actually I had less of an issue of changing the name of Morhine to Med-X (which fit better within the Fallout-Verse) than the removal of animations in the game that showed the character actually taking the various pills or injecting themselves with the stimpacks. This bit struck me as being a substantial change, and I for one actually think that seeing the character ruddely pull out a stimpack and jam it into their arm or whatever would have been pretty cool/immersive.

On a more specific note this is what the designers intended, and also some animator/artist sat down and actually created all of that in order to be seen and objected to, so in the end all of that work (and animations and such can take a bit of effort) was wasted because someone in the Australian goverment has a phobia of needles.

Gawd forbid what Australia thinks of "Roger Ramjet" or Harry Harrison's "Stainless Steel Rat" books. Roger Ramjet is dated though and being a sort of satire on American superheroes probably never made it to Australia (he's basically a superhero with the brain of a peanut followed around by a 'fan club' of kids smarter than him who always save him. His powers are derived from 'Proton Energy Pills' which make him invincible, and he ultimatly winds up taking one pretty much every episode and wiping the floor with all the bad guys. You'd have to see it, but it's definatly an analogy to a pro-drug culture).

As far as Australia's goverment, thanks for the information, I admit I didn't know that much about it but assumed it was more similar to here. Does seem like you guys need to be instituting some kind of reform and probably a "nerf" of that office.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Therumancer said:
Gawd forbid what Australia thinks of "Roger Ramjet" or Harry Harrison's "Stainless Steel Rat" books. Roger Ramjet is dated though and being a sort of satire on American superheroes probably never made it to Australia (he's basically a superhero with the brain of a peanut followed around by a 'fan club' of kids smarter than him who always save him. His powers are derived from 'Proton Energy Pills' which make him invincible, and he ultimatly winds up taking one pretty much every episode and wiping the floor with all the bad guys. You'd have to see it, but it's definatly an analogy to a pro-drug culture).

As far as Australia's goverment, thanks for the information, I admit I didn't know that much about it but assumed it was more similar to here. Does seem like you guys need to be instituting some kind of reform and probably a "nerf" of that office.
"My Proton Pill will give me the strength of 20 Atom Bombs for 20 seconds!" I grew up on that show lol, and to be honest never thought of it as pro-drug culture, though in hindsight, it certainly fits...

Personally I think it would be better to just nerf Michael Atkinson, but this [http://www.kotaku.com.au/2008/03/why_michael_atkinsons_opposal_of_r18_does_bugger_all_to_protect_kids_promotes_crime/] article does a good job of explaining his position, and the bizzare discrepancies with the ratings.

aruseusx

Apr 22, 2009
Jumplion said:
I'm still up to sign a petition or something for an R17+ rating or something in Australia.

Though did Mad World, Ninja Gaiden, No More Heroes, and various other asortment of bloody games get through to Australia? If that's so, and God of War 3 is banned, I will be pissed even though I don't live in Australia. It's good to know some people haven't forgotten about the guys down under.
Your concern warms my heart. On another note those games were allowed in Australia uncensored. Fallout 3's censorship was really odd when I first heard of it (violence wasn't censored but the names of certain drugs were).
Scrythe said:
Why don't we just take them under our wing?

Looking for Australian roomate: Come and enjoy my deliciously violent collection of sex-filled videogames. Ratings are just "suggestions" here. Oh, and we get games on time, too.

Food and bills split 50/50, and all sexual activity must be kept under a certain decibel limit, and off my freakin' couch. I like my sleep.
As long as you can pay shipping, my school tuition for a year and a half, my pet dingo (satire) and change 50/50 to 100(you)/0 go for it.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Is there a big black market for games imports in Australia?

I think if I lived there I'd still want access to these games. I'm an adult, I should be able to decide.
As the PS3 is region free wouldn't a load of copies of banned games get through. They'll probably be a load of man hours at Customs around the time of GOWIII release.