BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
For tomorrow -

Geez, why don't they just post it when it's available. Hopefully this isn't a new trend to have countdowns for mini featurettes.
There wasn't much to get excited from this video. This is something they could have released at any point. I'll wait until there's actual footage that last 10 to 15 minutes.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I know it's on its 6th season now, but does Rick and Morty have to be in every single ad or commercial? I did laugh, but I don't need to see them every single time, when I decided to stop watching series. Even if I was still watching, I wouldn't want them every single time.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Ok so since I don't have the patience to pore over all the news and yesterday's trailer was story focused... what do expect of the gameplay and world design? Specifically I am just wondering if anything significantly different or "just" more of God of War 2018.
I'm just assuming it'll be like Horizon 2 where if you like the first one, there's no reason you shouldn't like the second one- it might be bigger, have updated graphics, a few added wrinkles to the combat but nothing that changes the fundamental gameplay loop?

I'm trying to think of sequels that more significantly changed things to compare to but my references are old- The Witcher 3? (I'm excluding franchise entries that don't have a number like Assassins Creed Origins or Breath of the Wild, that isn't fair). I know Ragnarok doesn't have a number but come on it's practically God of War 4 part 2 right?

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ok so since I don't have the patience to pore over all the news and yesterday's trailer was story focused... what do expect of the gameplay and world design? Specifically I am just wondering if anything significantly different or "just" more of God of War 2018.
I'm just assuming it'll be like Horizon 2 where if you like the first one, there's no reason you shouldn't like the second one- it might be bigger, have updated graphics, a few added wrinkles to the combat but nothing that changes the fundamental gameplay loop?

I'm trying to think of sequels that more significantly changed things to compare to but my references are old- The Witcher 3? (I'm excluding franchise entries that don't have a number like Assassins Creed Origins or Breath of the Wild, that isn't fair). I know Ragnarok doesn't have a number but come on it's practically God of War 4 part 2 right?
From what I noticed, there's more verticality from the clips shown in the story trailer, and some of the previous gameplay footage released from Game Informer. There's still no official confirmation of a jump button, but I noticed kratos is able to chain across gaps quickly and seamlessly into combat when platforming. So it's either contact sensitive, or a combination of buttons that allow it. Ragnarok looks to be the Doom Eternal in this regard. Similar, but a more expensive world and level design.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
From what I noticed, there's more verticality from the clips shown in the story trailer, and some of the previous gameplay footage released from Game Informer. There's still no official confirmation of a jump button, but I noticed kratos is able to chain across gaps quickly and seamlessly into combat when platforming. So it's either contact sensitive, or a combination of buttons that allow it. Ragnarok looks to be the Doom Eternal in this regard. Similar, but a more expensive world and level design.
Yeah the jump more than likely isn’t like the old games, but I’ll take more of it even if only context-sensitive for gaps or combos and such. I’m sure it will be folded into the existing combat/platforming engine to feel natural and on-demand where it matters.

One thing I really, really hope is they don’t just bloat the character progression stuff like Horizon FW did for the sake of “moar is better”, because I honestly expect more discretion from Santa Monica Studio.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
What I like most about what they showed in that Trailer is that it doesn't feel like the story is going to be aribitary bullshit. Like a nonsense excuse for another adventure with a bunch of random roadblocks to pad out the run time.

Even though that's what it's going to be.

To me it feels like the story is really coming from a place of importance, and that Loki is the driving force behind it where Kratos is just trying to be there for what his son needs. Loki being Loki likely got into some fucked up trouble too, so it feels good to me. I don't know if that makes sense but it feels like the story isn't there to solely piggyback off the first game and the trailer didn't even show Thor which is how the previous game ended, which tells me they aren't leaning too hard on that game to drive this one. So by doing that it makes this one feel more worth it's creation.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
What I like most about what they showed in that Trailer is that it doesn't feel like the story is going to be aribitary bullshit. Like a nonsense excuse for another adventure with a bunch of random roadblocks to pad out the run time.

Even though that's what it's going to be.

To me it feels like the story is really coming from a place of importance, and that Loki is the driving force behind it where Kratos is just trying to be there for what his son needs. Loki being Loki likely got into some fucked up trouble too, so it feels good to me. I don't know if that makes sense but it feels like the story isn't there to solely piggyback off the first game and the trailer didn't even show Thor which is how the previous game ended, which tells me they aren't leaning too hard on that game to drive this one. So by doing that it makes this one feel more worth it's creation.
Uh…who did you think the fat dobber with the hammer was at the end? :)
But yeah, if the game can even live halfway up to this trailer in terms of story then I can see nice big marathon sessions, which has only happened a handful of times for me regarding being hooked on a game’s story.