God of War Ragnarok Thread

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
This was the hardest fight towards my platinum for sure.

But in regards to post game clearance, it's worth doing because there are a lot of closure arcs that are really nice and they wrap up the character's nicely.

I can't wait for the next game with Kratos and whatever kid he has with Freya. Because it's Kratos, girls just bang him no matter what.
See, now this would seem be a pretty big spoiler. :( But who am I kidding I would’ve probably read it anyways.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I have no idea what this is or what you're referencing lol.

The World it's a stand that can freeze time. Hiemmdal is basically Norse DIO. He doesn't have a stand, but he can freeze and slow down time.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Completed the main campaign last night. I timed it when my wife was out of town so that I can use the TV loudspeakers and turn off the light and couple it with a Jim Beam.
I was so pleasantly surprised by how well it stuck the landing. I generally dislike most game endings because they end up two things that annoy me:
1- Stacking enemies, waves and waves of combat, to extend the play time and create a false sense of climax when it's just annoying and I wanna get to the end
2- Use shortcuts like nonsensical changes of hearts, deus ex machinas or stupid "twists" that are cheap ways to just end the narrative

Ragnarok side steps both brilliantly. Yes, there are waves and waves of enemies but I didn't mind because I did lots of side stuff so I had a nice shiny armor and whatever so I didn't even have to drop the difficulty down like I normally do. More importantly, it was packaged in the context of a story that made sense and surrounded it with interactions and cut scenes that truly made it feel both epic and touching.
I cannot praise the story pacing of the main campaign enough. I mean- cut scenes that are both deeply impactful and never out-stay their welcome (hello Japanese video games, please take a freaking hint).

I'm trying to be spoiler-free but if I say that "Ragnarok" happens at the end of Ragnarok we cool right? Anyways, the whole lead up to it, the setup and delivery and denouement... *chef's kiss*

When I think about good games that end poorly, with like B.S. level designs and enemy waves, the old GoW games are a primary example, especially GoW3. That makes that awesome ending of this game even that much sweeter.

I kind of wish I wasn't dead set on platinum because it would feel very rewarding to just not play this any more. But if a game I like has trophies that don't depend on difficulty setting or replaying the game, I just can't help myself.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ragnarök is now finished. I love the ending and the closing character arcs. Odin as a final boss is fun, but pretty weak overall. Especially in his final phase when you have both Freya and Atreus assisting you. The rematch with Thor is better, and Hiemdal is the best boss in the game. What a great way to close a cap on the series. I never thought this series, DMC5, or Bayonetta 3 would end the way they did, yet I am more than satisfied with each and every one of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Ragnarok is now finished. I love the ending and the closing character arcs. Odin as a final boss is fun, but pretty weak overall. Especially in his final phase when you have both Freya and Atreus assisting you. The rematch with Thor is better, and Hiemdal is the best boss in the game. What a great way to close a cap on the series. I never though this series, DMC5, or Bayonetta 3 would end the way they did, yet I am more than satisfied with each and everyone of them.
Do the post game side quests because there are more fun surprises. You dont have to get all the collectibles or anything, but do fhe actual quests. It is worth it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Do the post game side quests because there are more fun surprises. You dont have to get all the collectibles or anything, but do fhe actual quests. It is worth it.
I know the bonus content and postgame stuff are great, but I got to focus on other games right now. I will get back to Ragnarök at some point.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's what i tell my backlog. Do it now or it'll never happen lol.
There's lots of games coming out. I never promised to dedicate everything to this game immediately. I was always either going to go to Gungrave or Evil West next.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I was playing around quite a bit in the Niflheim training grounds last night and have to partially retract my previous statement here on the weapon switching. There definitely is input buffering as the dpad tap to switch weapons will happen reliably for me once the current attack animation finishes, so for something like juggle combos it still works really well IME. Cancels seem to work well for most specials too, like the charging ones. The training area was a nice surprise this early since it really helps with feeling new things out and getting into a good combat rhythm. In general the combat just feels really fucking good, and I’m sure even better at 60fps on PS5. This area is also pretty ideal for gaining tiers for different attacks since enemies keep respawning.

Another thing, so far the hints don’t seem very intrusive for me. I have them turned off as much as currently possible and I’ll only get an occasional comment like “look up there!” or “that looks like the right angle” during those light stone puzzles for example. Nothing like some games barking in my ear. I think criticism here is a bit overblown, but I’d still like to see an option to turn them off completely. It’s also kinda funny how Atreus plays off of the instinct of players to go looking around for stuff by telling Tyr, “Yeah father likes loot” or, “he does this sometimes”. It feels just right, like the game is acknowledging the exploration aspect in an organic way.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Ragnarok is now finished. I love the ending and the closing character arcs. Odin as a final boss is fun, but pretty weak overall. Especially in his final phase when you have both Freya and Atreus assisting you. The rematch with Thor is better, and Hiemdal is the best boss in the game. What a great way to close a cap on the series. I never though this series, DMC5, or Bayonetta 3 would end the way they did, yet I am more than satisfied with each and everyone of them.
It feels very un-Odin to have a straight-up fight with the guy. I mean, at that point he is not fucking around anymore, so why doesn't he just crow-teleport your ass into a volcano in Muspelheim? He's not trying to get anything from you or is trying to scam you or anything; he just wants to kill you, and you'd think Odin wouldn't need to get his hands dirty at all in order to do so.

Somewhat off topic, but I do like how yellow attacks actually have consequences now as opposed to '18 where there were virtually none at all. In that game, when a yellow attack broke your guard enemies would never follow up. Valkyries might, and sometimes a second enemy would accidentally get a hit in after your shield got knocked away, but it was hardly an issue. In Ragnarok though enemies will typically sense when your shield gets knocked away and go in for a follow up attack, which you then have to try to quickly guard back up or dodge, but which on Boss fights usually results in a swift kick in the ass. However once you get the wrath upgrade for your rage bar you can use this as a very nice 'get out of jail free' card when a Boss cuts through your shield and is about to have half of your health bar for dinner.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It feels very un-Odin to have a straight-up fight with the guy. I mean, at that point he is not fucking around anymore, so why doesn't he just crow-teleport your ass into a volcano in Muspelheim? He's not trying to get anything from you or is trying to scam you or anything; he just wants to kill you, and you'd think Odin wouldn't need to get his hands dirty at all in order to do so.
That's Odin's entire and intentional flaw. The man was obssessed with having absolute control over everything. Atreus destroying the mask and sending back to wherever it came from, destroyed Odin's life purpose. It's what happens when you take a man's dream from him. Atreus sent Odin into despair, and the latter wanted nothing, but death to everyone for his "suffering". Nothing mattered anymore except their deaths. Makes sense to me.

Somewhat off topic, but I do like how yellow attacks actually have consequences now as opposed to '18 where there were virtually none at all. In that game, when a yellow attack broke your guard enemies would never follow up. Valkyries might, and sometimes a second enemy would accidentally get a hit in after your shield got knocked away, but it was hardly an issue. In Ragnarok though enemies will typically sense when your shield gets knocked away and go in for a follow up attack, which you then have to try to quickly guard back up or dodge, but which on Boss fights usually results in a swift kick in the ass. However once you get the wrath upgrade for your rage bar you can use this as a very nice 'get out of jail free' card when a Boss cuts through your shield and is about to have half of your health bar for dinner.
I noticed too. Enemies are way more aggressive and do not play mook chivalry. Not to the crazy extent of Ninja Gaiden, but you cannot slack in these fights.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
By the way, to add some roughness for those who have finished the game; those bear cubs at the start are fucked. I kinda sorta expected the game to maybe come back to them later on, but no, we never see them again, so they presumably just die in the wild.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
PETA, just die already. You help don't help animals and are a blight to all human, animals, and all forms of life everywhere.
PETA Demands Alternate God Of War Ragnarök Mode Without Animal Fights (msn.com)

Plus, they’re just plain hypocrites. I’d even say wolf in sheep’s clothing for anyone considering donating to them, because they prey off of the public’s gullibility to their own advantage. Your dollars might wind up supporting the exact opposite of what you wanted.