Gods of Egypt Director Blames Critics For Box Office Failure

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Gods of Egypt Director Blames Critics For Box Office Failure

Gods of Egypt bombed over the weekend, hard, and director Alex Proyas thinks it's all because of those pesky critics.

From the moment the first trailer for Gods of Egypt was released, anyone with half a brain could have predicted that it would be skewered by critics. Throwing away the cultural whitewashing allegations that the film was hit with before it even premiered, Gods of Egypt looked at best like a unintentionally hilarious B-movie and at worst like an Asylum-level knockoff of Clash of Titans, albeit with a far greater budget and noticeably worse CGI.

Given the box office failure of the similarly maligned Exodus: Kings and Gods, one could also surmise that the Gods of Egypt would fail to recoup its $140 million budget as well, so when the movie did inevitably bomb over the weekend -- recouping just $14 million [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-deadpool-entombs-big-870611] and placing second to Deadpool -- it came as a shock to absolutely no one.

Except to Gods of Egypt director Alex Proyas, that is.

In a fiercely-worded statement posted to his Facebook page [https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=195699647463502&id=100010704046009&fref=nf] yesterday morning, Proyas lambasted the pack mentality of critics for being behind the movie's paltry earning, stating:

NOTHING CONFIRMS RAMPANT STUPIDITY FASTER... Than reading reviews of my own movies. I usually try to avoid the experience - but this one takes the cake. Often, to my great amusement, a critic will mention my past films in glowing terms, when at the time those same films were savaged, as if to highlight the critic's flawed belief of my descent into mediocrity. You see, my dear fellow FBookers, I have rarely gotten great reviews... on any of my movies, apart from those by reviewers who think for themselves and make up their own opinions. Sadly those type of reviewers are nearly all dead. Good reviews often come many years after the movie has opened. I guess I have the knack of rubbing reviewers the wrong way - always have. This time of course they have bigger axes to grind - they can rip into my movie while trying to make their mainly pale asses look so politically correct by screaming "white-wash!!!" like the deranged idiots they all are. They fail to understand, or chose to pretend to not understand what this movie is, so as to serve some bizarre consensus of opinion which has nothing to do with the movie at all. That's ok, this modern age of texting will probably make them go the way of the dinosaur or the newspaper shortly - don't movie-goers text their friends with what they thought of a movie? Seems most critics spend their time trying to work out what most people will want to hear. How do you do that? Why these days it is so easy... just surf the net to read other reviews or what bloggers are saying - no matter how misguided an opinion of a movie might be before it actually comes out.

Lock a critic in a room with a movie no one has even seen and they will not know what to make of it. Because contrary to what a critic should probably be they have no personal taste or opinion, because they are basing their views on the status quo. None of them are brave enough to say "well I like it" if it goes against consensus. Therefore they are less than worthless. Now that anyone can post their opinion about anything from a movie to a pair of shoes to a hamburger, what value do they have - nothing. Roger Ebert wasn't bad. He was a true film lover at least, a failed film-maker, which gave him a great deal of insight. His passion for film was contagious and he shared this with his fans. He loved films and his contribution to cinema as a result was positive. Now we have a pack of diseased vultures pecking at the bones of a dying carcass. Trying to peck to the rhythm of the consensus. I applaud any film-goer who values their own opinion enough to not base it on what the pack-mentality say is good or bad.

While it's understandable that any director would want to find a scapegoat on which to pin their own failures -- M. Night Shyamalan was once famously quoted as saying that The Last Airbender only bombed due to our lack of "European sensibilities" [http://uproxx.com/filmdrunk/shyammys-movies-dont-suck-you-just-dont-have-a-european-sensibility/] -- there is one major issue with Proyas' statement here.

By placing himself up on a cross and writing off the film's poor returns to the will of the almighty critics, Proyas is failing to even recognize where his story could have used improvement. In his review of the film [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/reviews/cinemarter/16787-Gods-of-Egypt-2016-Movie-Review], our own Matthew Parkinson noted Gods of Egypt's "unbelievably unoriginal" plot, childish dialogue, uninspired character arcs, and atrocious and excessive reliance on computer animation as the main reasons that the film was a "disaster." These are all criticisms that even the most neophytic of moviegoers could glean from the trailer above, wherein a gravely-voiced Gerard Butler declares that "Soon, we will rule all of the world" among other such cliches.

While it's hard to fault Proyas for believing in his product, it's even harder to pin the many, many problems of Gods of Egypt on the shoulders of the people who make their living consuming it. No critic is *that* powerful.

Source: MovieWeb [http://movieweb.com/gods-of-egypt-director-critics-worthless/]

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
He's gone full shyamalan. Never go full shyamalan.

Never the less, I have a counter theory for the good director: people are tired of CG wank without any new ideas that missed the boat of cultural relevance by... oh how long has it been since 300?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
It looked awful. The critics did confirm that it was awful, but I don't think I'd be seeing this anyway.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Critics are there for one of three reasons:
1. To confirm your pre existing opinion.
2. To hold a contrary opinion to annoy people (who go looking to be annoyed).
3. To sway the balance of the undecided.

I highly doubt critics hold the power to turn everyone against a film, game or whatever. Your film was balls probably, you can blame yourself, the marketing, the producers... basically anyone involved in the making but not the audiences or critics.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
I honestly understand what he's going through were a project you put heart and soul into and people saying it's crap. At the same time blaming critics for the movie's failure especially since audiences seem to have the same opinion as some kind seems childish.

Also I'm not sure bringing up Roger Ebert is tasteless and not?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Wow, that Facebook post, I can taste the salt from here. I can emphasise with his feelings to a degree, I hate anything I create being ripped apart too, I think that is universal. You've got to roll with the punches though, coming back swinging and insulting your critics just makes you look desperate.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
What I want to know is who this was made for. No seriously, which audience was this made for? Because "fantasy movie about gods in ancient times" is not a general audience targeted movie, at least not unless it's part of a series that has eased audiences in first with more grounded movies.

Nov 28, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the entire point of screening movies for critics to keep them from having a "public opinion bias" or whatever you want to call it? I mean, you disagree with the critics, fine. But if every critic says a movie is crap, and the box office shows that hardly anyone went to see your movie, it is just barely possible that your movie is, indeed, crap.

Besides, if critics were able to control box office proceeds, The Transformers movies would be bomb after bomb, and the biggest box office success in 2015 would have been Mad Max: Fury Road, followed by Inside Out, and Selma in third.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Zontar said:
What I want to know is who this was made for. No seriously, which audience was this made for? Because "fantasy movie about gods in ancient times" is not a general audience targeted movie, at least not unless it's part of a series that has eased audiences in first with more grounded movies.
I like to call films like this a John Carter sequel. a film with bad writing, directing and having a large and pointless budget but somehow have some of the worst special effects you will see in theaters.

Lone Ranger, Green Lantern, 27 Ronin and Exodus: Gods and Kings. There are the film equivalent of dangling keys in front of your face and expecting to 250 million dollars off that

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
In this day and age, claiming victimhood is a very easy way to gain sympathy and to deflect criticism from your behavior or work, so I don't blame him for doing so. Sadly he doesn't have the correct genitals, melanin count, or who he likes to sleep with, so he'll be raked over the coals.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Uh...oh! No good decision to be found here. It is not going to end well for him. Is he on something ego inflating now? Did he not take the responding-to-criticism 101 class? To think this was the guy that gave us Dark City. Tsk!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I actually saw this atrocity. Ask me anything!

Went with a bunch of friends who got hammered before the movie started and we had a blast. Incredibly mediocre action movie. Kind of like a modern day Scorpion King.

We laughed several times during the movie, but Gerard Butlers abrupt "GAAAAAAAH" halfway through stole the show. That hilarious delivery broke me.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I wish people would stop using identity politics arguments against movies, games, books, ext. It just muddies the water unnecessarily. The movies bad. Last Air Bender was bad. The end. The makeup of the movies is irrelevant.

Would perfect casting have saved either movie? No.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
tf2godz said:
Zontar said:
I like to call films like this a John Carter sequel. a film with bad writing, directing and having a large and pointless budget but somehow have some of the worst special effects you will see in theaters.

Lone Ranger, Prince of Egypt, Green Lantern, 27 Ronin and Exodus: Gods and Kings. There are the film equivalent of dangling keys in front of your face and expecting to 250 million dollars off that
Are you thinking of a different movie then Prince of Egypt?
As I don't recall it having any special effects, an overblown budget, or being a commercial flop.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
C'mon man, have some self-respect. You got handed a shit-script written by a hack of a writer (and/or likely ripped apart and pasted back together by multiple studio writers), and I'm sure you did the best you could with it, but it turned into a shit-movie. You still got paid, so did everyone else involved, and I'm willing to wager you made more for this terrible movie than 90+ percent of America. Suck it up and move onto the next project. That's the studio system, some people get to direct passion projects, breakout hits and acclaimed features... some people get stuck directing Gods of Egypt.

Go back to your mansion, prop your feet up and watch something on your big-screen TV, and hope that you get something better to work with next time.

Also, c'monnnnnn the "white washing" thing was the least stupid thing about that movie. Don't act like that was a bigger deal than it was. Have you *seen* what the trailers look like?

Mar 26, 2008
Fappy said:
I actually saw this atrocity. Ask me anything!
Alright. From the trailers it looks like The Mummy crossed with Clash Of The Titans. Is that a correct assumption? Also, those two films at least achieved a decent level of popcorn-chomping escapism. What do you reckon went wrong here?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Ladies and gentlemen, Uwe Boll had a protege and he has been unleashed upon the land to wreak his master's terrible revenge!

Hold onto your money investors, there's a man named Proyas a-coming!

Arctic Werewolf

Oct 16, 2014
I think I saw an even dumber trailer for this movie somewhere. I didn't skip it because of the critics, it just looked like another CGI snooze-fest with endless boring action scenes where I don't care what happens.

I actually enjoyed watching Exodus: Gods and Kings. There was a lot of stuff in the movie that I liked, even if the story and characters were too half baked to create a satisfying Gesamtkunstwerk (Complete package, basically. Fun word.) I feel like that's a trend these days. Interstellar is another example. Worth watching for some of the impressive stuff in it, but not a satisfying whole.