Godzilla Looks Grumpy In First Official Image

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008

Legendary Pictures has released our first, official look at the star of 2014's Godzilla, and the giant lizard looks none too happy about it.

Godzilla really shouldn't need any introduction on a site like this, but if you've somehow spent the past 70 years displaced from time, we'll cover the basics. Initially conceived as an allegory for the unchecked destructive potential of atomic weaponry, Godzilla became an immediate hit with fans and has become something of a symbol of the Japanese film industry. His films, though formulaic and simple, always center on at least one giant monster smashing up the countryside, and apparently that's a concept that mankind is inherently attracted to. To wit: It would be easy to argue that Godzilla kicked off the "kaiju" film genre, which recently spawned Guillermo del Toro's worryingly underloved Pacific Rim.

Hollywood has attempted to glom onto the Godzilla phenomenon before, with generally terrible results. Roland Emmerich made an American Godzilla flick in 1998 that was less "classic Godzilla" and more "mindless excuse to shill Taco Bell and Doritos while Matthew Broderick battles velociraptors with gumballs."

Legendary Pictures hopes to do better with its Americanized Godzilla film, which is slated to debut on May 16, 2014. The first step in this process is creating a monster that looks like the classic depiction of Godzilla - the 1998 creature was some kind of angry iguana, we believe - and to reassure fans that its film will adhere to tradition, Legendary has released the first official image of Godzilla from its upcoming movie. That'd be the sneering face you see at top-right.

Granted, that's not much to go on, but what do you think? That mug looks very familiar, and the subtle use of modern technological tricks agrees with the beast. Everything about this image instills faith in me that Legendary is committed to delivering a retro-faithful Godzilla film, and that's exactly what fans are hoping for. Something is bound to be lost in translation, but if Legendary can deliver a huge lizard stomping around major metropolitan areas while occasionally breathing nuclear fire on assembled groups of military personnel, I'll be pretty happy.

Now it's your turn. Comments below. How do you feel about the new Godzilla? Love him? Hate him? Wish he was available for snuggles? Say your piece.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/comic-con-legendary-unveils-godzilla-encounter-in-downtown-san-diego/]

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
God, I remember watching tons of Godzilla movies when I was a little kid. I don't really remember the plot to any of them, other than Godzilla goes and destroys stuff and fights a different monster in each one.

Here's hoping this turns out to be decent. So long as they don't end up focusing too much on the humans and focus on what makes Godzilla freaking awesome.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
A new Godzilla is finally coming out?!

Even if it is an American film I love Godzilla movies (even the worst one) too much to care!

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
It looks right, and it seems that they are trying to make things nice and Godzilla-ey. You think we'll get actual monster suits (touched up digitally is ok) or just a plain CG fest?

I think the most important part, the bit they haven't told us yet, is who/what he is fighting.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Godzilla's probably still upset about the 1998 film, either that, or he thinks this next film will screw up like the 1998 one.

And given how the film industry's been treating licensed characters (like Lone Ranger, Green Lantern, and almost every cartoon TV show that's been adapted to live-action film), I doubt you can blame him.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:

To wit: It would be easy to argue that Godzilla kicked off the "kaiju" film genre, which recently spawned Guillermo del Toro's worryingly underloved Pacific Rim.

By critics perhaps, but most of them missed the point i.e. that Pacific Rim is a silly action movie that knows how silly and ridiculous it is.

Most of them bitched that the story wasn't fleshed out, which is stupid when that is not the centerpiece of the movie.

Ehh, whatever at least we get more monster movies, like Godzilla.

Hopefully it doesn't suck and if Matthew Broderick is involved, he gets eaten/dies in the first 5 minutes.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
scorptatious said:
God, I remember watching tons of Godzilla movies when I was a little kid. I don't really remember the plot to any of them, other than Godzilla goes and destroys stuff and fights a different monster in each one.
Same here.
I love flaunting how I've seen both Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla and Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla like it means something. Even though I don't remember ANYTHING about them and you could put both in front of me, I doubt I'd be able to tell them apart.
Anyway.
Look at YOU, big boy!
Finally awake from that long nap in the water, are we?

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
You can tell from my avatar I'm a huge Godzilla fan. I can't wait for this movie.
If it good we will have an awesome monster movie.
If it bad like 1998 movie it may Revive the movies in japan.

edit. spelling error needed fixing

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Just remember that Godzilla CANNOT BE COUNTERED by military forces!!!!!!!

and there is hope this will be good.

Military is only good for evacuating people or as destraction-toys for Godzilla !

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Kumagawa Misogi said:
BloodRed Pixel said:

If the film makers want to feature US military equipment in the film, then the US military has to be effective against whatever they fight otherwise the film makers CANNOT use US military equipment in the film.
Then just leave them out.
There is something called CGI, these days.
So, how much military equipment was need for Pacific Rim... let me guess...

Anyway only science, magic or other monster stand a chance of impacting Godzilla. Period.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
As someone who grew up obsessed with Godzilla I can say that this image makes me cautiously optimistic. Of course I remember being 8 and utterly pissed off at the 98 American "Godzilla".
But My inner child is giddy about the prospect of a Kaiju resurgence in popular culture.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Huh, really must be the only one that liked the 98 design for Godzilla. *shrugs* oh well.

Kumagawa Misogi said:
BloodRed Pixel said:

If the film makers want to feature US military equipment in the film, then the US military has to be effective against whatever they fight otherwise the film makers CANNOT use US military equipment in the film.
and ... ?

You say that like its a bad thing.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Looks pretty good.
Though I must confess I was hoping for a sneaky cameo/tease in Pacific Rim. :p

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
Any word on if ol' Godz is going to be CGI or a rubber monster. While I have a deep and abiding love of practical effects I have to say that Pacific Rim convinced me that going full CGI doesn't HAVE to look terrible. Here's hopin.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I never liked Godzilla. It was always about the special effects. Even the first movie relied solely on special effects. I just don't have the patience for monster movies. They bore me.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
tf2godz said:
You can tell from my avatar I'm a huge Godzilla.
Dude, it's an honor to be speaking to you. But how'd you find a keyboard big enough to type that?

OT: They seem to be taking inspiration directly from the Heisei-era Godzilla (the one from The Return of Godzilla specifically). That's great in and of itself, but on top of that it looks like they've totally nailed it. Now we can only hope that the story is able to live up to that of the original film and the few subsequent ones that also told great stories in addition to being special effects rollercoasters.