Godzilla vs. Kong thoughts and opinions?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Watched it last night. Not enough Godzilla and too many human moments, but worth the watch indeed. My gf kept commenting that I was an adult and needed to stop giggling like a child. I still don't consider myself a fanatic of the monster genre, but I have to admit, this film woke an undeniable part of me that just wanted to see monsters fight. It stirred in 2013-2014 when I watched the trailer for the first new Godzilla movie; I didn't know what I was watching, then his iconic roar sounded through the dust cloud, and like a cough or sneeze, I couldn't help but say out loud "IT'S GODZILLA!!!" Hollywood does it right when the don't try to excel in every category and just give the people what they want.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
You know what, I'm sick of people in movies calling Godzilla "our savior", "our protector". He couldn't give two shits about humanity. He picks a dumb fucking fight with monkey and probably kills more people in an afternoon than coronavirus has in a year.
I’ve taken to considering this Godzilla to be some kind of manifestation of Nature’s Left Hand. He does the dirty work of keeping things more or less in balance that Earth may continue and to a degree humanity might live. However since he’s a manifest force of nature and operates almost purely instinctually he doesn’t actually care in anyway about us as individuals. Just as hurricanes, earthquakes or other natural disasters don’t care about us.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I’ve taken to considering this Godzilla to be some kind of manifestation of Nature’s Left Hand. He does the dirty work of keeping things more or less in balance that Earth may continue and to a degree humanity might live. However since he’s a manifest force of nature and operates almost purely instinctually he doesn’t actually care in anyway about us as individuals. Just as hurricanes, earthquakes or other natural disasters don’t care about us.
Right, but natural disasters aren't about "keeping the world in balance" any more than Godzilla is. These are just things that happen randomly due to conditions we barely understand and cannot control.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I would agree with this, if the original franchise, and the new one, haven't made a lot of pretty clear examples of these creatures being AT LEAST as intelligent/aware as humans. So the idea that they are just acting instinctual just doesn't fly, for creatures with brains on the scale of actual buildings. Kong flat out talks to a human via sign language, shows clear sympathy/empathy for her, and in the king of the monsters, there were various signs that Zilla was avoiding hurting humans when possible. So I disagree they are just mindless forces of nature, as that doesn't really match with the stuff presented.

Plus, the whole point of the human cast in these kind of films, is to...well, literally humanize the unspeaking titans on screen. They voice their thoughts, sure they are "speculating", but it's clearly framed as being mostly correct, regarding things like motivations, emotions, etc.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
If Godzilla exists to "Keep the earth in balance", wouldn't he be trying to cull our numbers significantly on purpose? Or take out every polluting coal/oil plant he can find?

Because right now the biggest threat to the Earth is US.

Or is that what the other monsters are for? I literally have no idea if they have a specific purpose other then "Show up and wreck shit".

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
If Godzilla exists to "Keep the earth in balance", wouldn't he be trying to cull our numbers significantly on purpose? Or take out every polluting coal/oil plant he can find?

Because right now the biggest threat to the Earth is US.

Or is that what the other monsters are for? I literally have no idea if they have a specific purpose other then "Show up and wreck shit".
You can’t see me but I’m shrugging because honestly as much as I loved King of the Monsters and Godzilla vs. Kong, I struggle to see what sort of theme they’re going with for the movies. Like I have honestly no idea at all. My thoughts on it are just that: storytelling gapfilla I’m employing to make sense of what I’m seeing. Seems I’m not doing a very good job at it :p