GOG.com Closes its Digital Doors

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Wow, that simply does not compute...

So strange.

I was literally about to start buying a few things there. Damn.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
joethekoeller said:
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Noooo! I never actually had call to do business with the site myself, as I invariably already owned the games I would have purchased from them, but knowing it was there was great because I could direct people who didn't have those titles to get them there. Now where will people get Freespace 2?
I was under the impression that Freespace 2 was declared open-source at some point. Or maybe I got that wrong
You got that wrong - the source code was declared open source, which is why the community could take it and build the Source Code Project improvements to modernize things, but the game content itself has never just been released for free[footnote]Volition, the developers of Freespace, didn't actually own the rights to release the game content as their publisher Interplay owned the rights to the Freespace franchise itself, so all they could release were those portions of the engine that they'd written themselves (originally all the licensed code was omitted, which broke certain functions that relied on it, but the mod community has written replacements for those code sections now).[/footnote], and you still need to have the retail Freespace 2 files to use the new stuff.

For a good long stretch the community didn't see the harm in bundling full versions of the software along with their improvements to it, as nobody was actually selling new copies of Freespace 2 anymore, so it was in the legal gray area of "abandonware" - folks reason that if the only copies of a game on sale are vastly overpriced second-hand copies being resold, then they're not really doing any harm by distributing that "abandoned" software for free, as the original content creators aren't getting a dime either way; it might not be strictly legal but it's hard to see the harm in it either.

But when Good Old Games came onto the scene the FS mod community quickly dropped retail FS2 from their downloads and pointed everyone to GOG.com instead, as there now existed a legal channel for interested parties to purchase new units and actually give money to the content creators again. Now that it's gone I don't know what they'll do, as far as I was aware FS2 wasn't available anywhere else (legally).

Doesn't impact me personally, as I own a retail boxed copy of the game from way back when, but this news still sucks thanks to the difficulties that arise from recommending the game to people: Freespace 2 is still the best damn space shooter ever released, and the stuff the SCP community has put out there just makes it even more freaking awesome.

The trouble is now when I tell somebody that, dangle tantalizing screenshots in front of them, etc, I'm basically telling them "This game is awesome, go pirate it now!" because there's no place to direct them to so they can buy it. Which really sucks, because I think everyone should play that game but I hate to think of myself as an advocate of software piracy, and I'm essentially urging people to pirate the game when I tell them why they need it now. Here's hoping some other legal channel arises.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
NO! [http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/]

This is a dark and terrible day for gamers everywhere, whether they know it or not. GOG had the potential to be a go-to source for older games as they phased out of the mainstream conscious. /sigh

this week sucks.

Shitflap

Dec 9, 2009
Just got this off of RPS forums.

http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27455040&page=1

Adrian Werner seems to think it's some kind of publicity stunt.
Whoever he might be, I have honestly no idea..

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Irridium said:
God dammit. God dammit.

This really makes me sad. I bought fallout 1 from them. These guys are like Steam, only less annoying, and no DRM. I really hope the no DRM is the reason behind the closure. God forbid a service treats its customers like actual people instead of potential pirates.
Ya harr, pirates you say? There be no such thing as a pirate in these waters, yarr.

OT: Hm, seems like a site I should've known about earlier, I would most likely have bought some games there.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
NO WAI!!!!!1

NO FSCKNIG WAI!!!!!2

I was holding out on buying a buttload of games from GOG until I could afford it, as I assumed they'd be around for a long time to come. FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU... etc.

:(

Joe Deadman

Jan 9, 2010
Shitflap said:
Just got this off of RPS forums.

http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27455040&page=1

Adrian Werner seems to think it's some kind of publicity stunt.
Whoever he might be, I have honestly no idea..
I hope he's right.
If not then noooooooo D: where will I buy cool old stuff now?!?!?

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
well publishers more and more are ressurecting old game to resell in packs or on psn or xbl, a site like this is probably a minefield of red tape and studios and publishers unsure of what they might try and dredge up to resell down the line.

sneeky033

dAT cAPSLOCK
Dec 1, 2009
well, at least i can still play the 9 games i bought from them. i was just about to get duke nukem 3d, too. this is actually really sad.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Therumancer said:
In the end I think it more or less came down to simple greed, and if the DRM theory is correct, it shows that companies would rather totally deep six a project like this than not make what they consider "worthy" mountains of cash.
Between that and the Ubisoft DRM, it's getting hard to believe that publishers don't want us to pirate, since every other option is shut down or so ludicrously difficult as to be not worth trying.

Joe Deadman

Jan 9, 2010
Good news everybody: GOG's PR man Tom Ohle has responded, saying, "As the message on the site says, this doesn't mean GOG is gone. We'll have more to share in the coming days. No need to jump to conclusions :)"

Sauce: http://www.neoseeker.com/news/14926-digital-pc-classics-service-good-old-games-closes/

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
C117 said:
... part of me just died...
amen to that. I've bought about 25 games from them and enjoyed every one of them more than most contemporary games. And all of the extras they offered just made things better. A very sad day man.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
aw. dangit. i want those games NOW!

ah hell i got the PS2 Deus Ex for £1.50 yesterday in town (now i just need a PS2 :p)

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
Noooo! I bought Arcanum from GOG! was looking forward to Age of Wonders 2 release!