GOG Drops IP-Based Location Check

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
dryg said:
Not to mention proxies and VPN
It's very much a case of "why try harder?". I wouldn't be too surprised if someone got into hot water over this, however.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
God bless GoG for finding a way around the insane Australian government.

They won't say it, and I'd never claim it's their official position but still... god bless.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I guess IP tracking must be expensive, and this is their cover excuse, right?

By the way, I just got done reading the JSA story Thy Kingdom Come

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
GOG has always been my second-favorite digital distribution site, next to Steam. They're really customer-oriented, and they regularly provide all kinds of free bonuses to people for no real reason other than just to be nice.

For example, another fun fact: In terms of U.S. dollars, The Witcher 2 technically costs $16 more in Europe than in the U.S. To counter this, if you buy the game from GOG.com (in Europe), you get $16 worth of credit to use on their site.

Their lack of DRM and stuff like this (effectively allowing Australian customers to bypass their country's backward censorship system) just makes me love them more.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Amazing. This company is Steams only real competitor, and they will only get more business with policies like this one. They have earned my respect, and the respect of anyone with two brain cells to rub together, I would hope. If they keep producing games, that'll make them worth it as well. I am looking forward to Witcher 2.

As a side note: Just because you don't buy directly from GoG, doesn't mean you're not supporting them by buying Witcher 2 from Steam. They are still reaping financial benefits, but they are one of the few companies smart enough to realize that making money is making money, and it doesn't matter where the source is. I have friends who make the argument that companies don't distribute through Steam because they "don't need" the help in distribution. I want to go on record and say, then those companies are stupid, and don't like profits as much as they say they do.

Sep 14, 2009
this is one of many reasons as to why i love GOG

they earned my pre order (actually two pre orders) by far for witcher 2, and they also will earn as many games as possible in the future depending on what they put up on there.

might have to buy the PoP games on there soon..

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
What is delicious is publishers who support IP reporting will just twiddle their thumbs over this because they know it will be more money for them.
I approve of this message.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
doomboy29 said:
Thia might make me buy a few things at GoG later......
That has just helped me decide to have them as a second place of business...

Can they work with Steam and make one version?

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Kukulski said:
GoG and CD Projekt seem to reinforce their position as the "Heroes of the People" each month. I'll drink to them.
Agreed. Everything they do seems like they actually... well.. LIKE us! Impossible!

I think I'll pay their site another visit.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
rembrandtqeinstein said:
hah, thats a big screw you to government censors....
Not so much that as a big 'fuck you' to distributors/publishers who force online distributors to inflate their prices to match bricks and mortar prices. Expect distributors/publishers to pitch a shitfit over it.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
GOG:

Serving as the equal and opposite reaction to game-industry scumbaggery since 2008.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Irridium said:
I'm gonna just quote RPS...

RockPaperShotgun said:
It?s great that GoG are employing trust in their customers this way, because it means they know that no one in Australia would ever dream of breaking this bond by using the lack of IP geo-tracking to purchase a game that?s been censored by their country?s government. It?s arguably a big risk they?ve taken, but I?m sure that not a single Aussie will let them down in this way, by taking advantage of the honour system by entering another country as their location when pre-ordering or purchasing the DRM-free version of the game from www.gog.com.
This whole thing has a sense of "its totally because of this reason, and not the one your thinking of.

*wink*"

Not saying that its bad though. Its good that they're not tracking IP's. Yeah, thats the reason I like this.

*wink*
I get that feeling too.
It's a real shame Australians can't play an uncensored version of our game.
wink

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
RhombusHatesYou said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
hah, thats a big screw you to government censors....
Not so much that as a big 'fuck you' to distributors/publishers who force online distributors to inflate their prices to match bricks and mortar prices. Expect distributors/publishers to pitch a shitfit over it.
Just what I was going to say, Rhombus.

Who would come up with ingenious shit like this? The fucking Polish, that's who!

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Vie said:
I salute them for this.

Not that I'm likely to use their store though... ..sorry guys.
Well I have been putting off snagging Might and Magic 7. I guess I will get it now. I will use their store to make up for you. No worries! :) I got it! :D

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I wasn't going to, since I've only barely played the first game, but..

There. Pre-ordered The Witcher 2 on GoG.com.

Glorious bastards.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Casimir_Effect said:
People may ***** at Steam, but there is no way anyone can have a problem with GOG. They do no wrong and a lot right.
I personally consider a stunt where they go "We're shutting down our site so you'd better download and save copies of your games before they're gone for ever JUST KIDDING it's a site layout change trolololol" to be one hell of a big wrong. I'm glad that they trust their customers so damn much, but after that, I have a big problem trusting them. I'll just stick with Steam and other sites run by companies that treat their businesses like a BUSINESS instead of like a YouTube comment (something that's usually only good for stupidity and trolling).

RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I get that feeling too.
It's a real shame Australians can't play an uncensored version of our game.
wink
Irridium said:
This whole thing has a sense of "its totally because of this reason, and not the one your thinking of.

*wink*"

Not saying that its bad though. Its good that they're not tracking IP's. Yeah, thats the reason I like this.

*wink*
Seems like you two fine gentlemen could use this:

:p