GOG Launches Fall Insomnia Sale

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
GOG Launches Fall Insomnia Sale

GOG is putting 100 games on sale for its Fall Insomnia Promo, but supplies are limited, so call now!

The idea of limited stock in a digital store is kind of silly but anyone who's ever been told that there are no more Steam codes left knows it's not unheard of. But GOG is putting a different twist on it with the Fall Insomnia Promo: Instead of pretending that its shelves are all out of digits (digitals?) it's putting 100 games on sale in limited numbers, one at a time - and the next game doesn't go up until all copies of the first game are gone.

Confused? Yeah, me too, so here's an example: At this very moment, The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav is available for $3.99 (which, by the way, is a screamingly good deal if you dig point-and-click adventures) and there are 58 copies left out of a beginning inventory of 200. Once that hits zero, that sale ends and the next game goes on the block. What's the next game? Nobody knows! That's part of the fun, I guess.

GOG did say that System Shock 2, Fez, Hotline Miami, Rayman Origins, the Baldur's Gate Saga and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri will all be in the mix, so it's not like they're just clearing out the crap that nobody wants (Gotta make room on those digi-shelves!), and there will also be some freebies sprinkled into the mix, just to keep you on your toes. The Fall Insomnia Promo is live now and runs until the games are all gone at GOG.com [http://www.gog.com/].

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
This would be a better sale if it weren't so insanely short. Seriously, some of these are lasting for under five minutes each.

I feel it would be better if there was a regular sale running concurrently. Right now if you miss a sale you may as well just keep waiting since there's no other reason to buy the game right now. (If you were already going to pay full price, why didn't you do that yet?)

Plus it's kinda ridiculous "Yeah, we ran out of installers. Just don't have any left on our servers, sent the last one across the wire to a guy in Indonesia just now."

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Well, I, for one, think it's a really nifty idea.

It's not there to give you discounts on games you're waiting for, it's using your curiosity and a touch of panic to get you to play a game you wouldn't have otherwise tried. Sounds good to me.

Now, if only I had money...

EDIT: Insomnia, my pasty white butt. They're going so fast that 100 games won't even last an afternoon.

Shelter was free, but all 15 copies were gone in less than a second. :p

Rufus Shinra

Oct 11, 2011
There's some really, really good games there. Wargame: European Escalation or Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, for example. Some of them get sold out in less than two minutes. o_O

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Sword of the Stars: The Pit for two bucks? Sure, why not? I'll join in the silly sale fun.

Capcha... I swear to god, I hate Progressive insurance a little more with each Capcha I have to fill out...

Allspice

Mar 1, 2011
Damn it. I missed getting Wing Commander IV for free. I didn't click fast enough, even though my mouse was over the button and as soon as I saw it I clicked. ::sigh:: Meh, it's about time I just buy it anyway. I've been playing the first three for a long time and never got around to IV.

Are they even going to make it to tonight with this? The games are going so fast.

Demandred20

Apr 13, 2013
Yeah no way I´m suckered into.....Neverwinter nights 2 complete for 3.99!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Runs off to get his wallet"

PegasusJF

Sep 3, 2008
I've already bought 3 games, one I thought I would NEVER play (I have no mouth and I must scream (I was young when it came out). Have to give the gog guys credit. This sale is quite frankly brilliant.

Drake666

Sep 13, 2010
As some people already said, there's no way this sale keep up until tonight.

However, the GoG guys are really funny! :)
They also do a lot of little giveaways. For their 5 years anniversary, I've win a 5$ game be answering trivia question! :D

RikuoAmero

Jan 27, 2010
I don't like this. Unfortunately, I can see it working, and the marketing guys over at GOG rubbing their hands with glee, and recommending to their bosses that they do more. It's treating an infinite resource like a scarce good, and can only help to foster ill feelings with potential/return customers. How do you think you'd feel if you saw a game here you really wanted, but between the time you clicked buy and input your credit card details, they sold out before you could complete the process?
You'd feel cheated, that's what.

CAPTCHA - Fucking Ford ads. Escapist, stop it with the captcha ads already! My last comment had the exact same ad, and I am NOT looking for a car.

Demandred20

Apr 13, 2013
Its been an amusing evening this. Omerta goes up and it takes like 15 minutes before the sale slowly wears off. Total Annihiliation goes up and "KABOOM" goes the GoG server.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
RikuoAmero said:
I don't like this. Unfortunately, I can see it working, and the marketing guys over at GOG rubbing their hands with glee, and recommending to their bosses that they do more. It's treating an infinite resource like a scarce good, and can only help to foster ill feelings with potential/return customers. How do you think you'd feel if you saw a game here you really wanted, but between the time you clicked buy and input your credit card details, they sold out before you could complete the process?
You'd feel cheated, that's what.
Seeing how copies were popping back into existence, you have a lock on your copy after clicking the button. So all you have to do is click once and you have all the time you need to get your details in.

Why do people always assume the worst? They're almost always wrong.

Allspice

Mar 1, 2011
BigTuk said:
Allspice said:
Damn it. I missed getting Wing Commander IV for free. I didn't click fast enough, even though my mouse was over the button and as soon as I saw it I clicked. ::sigh:: Meh, it's about time I just buy it anyway. I've been playing the first three for a long time and never got around to IV.

Are they even going to make it to tonight with this? The games are going so fast.
That's just it, it's a sale that seems to be targeted at a very odd demographic. People who have money, a credit card , and the time to compulssively check one window every 2 minutes.
Guess so. Doesn't really matter though, the games are going very quickly.

Allspice

Mar 1, 2011
BigTuk said:
Allspice said:
True and that's the point... why artificially limit your sales to a set number. it's like selling 10 apples when you could just as easily sell fifty. It's also a matter that the sale literally breezes by two fast. you look a way for 3 minutes and two tiles have already zipped by? YOu have no idea what titles are going up and no idea when.
I guess they just decided to do this because they did. IDK. It is kinda fun to see what will be up there next and for what price.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
BigTuk said:
Allspice said:
True and that's the point... why artificially limit your sales to a set number. it's like selling 10 apples when you could just as easily sell fifty. It's also a matter that the sale literally breezes by two fast. you look a way for 3 minutes and two tiles have already zipped by? YOu have no idea what titles are going up and no idea when.
And?

That's the whole thrill. Some of us aren't so super srs about our sales that we can't recognize and partake in a bit of thrilling fun.

I thought we were gamers.

And just to undermine your statement a bit, it appears that they're putting titles on sale multiple times, so that the whole thing isn't done in three hours. :p